Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

My sherman,almost done

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 07:40 PM
trey3670
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My sherman,almost done

ok heres my sherman,almost done needs decal and the figure painted,other than that fully functional! I have always wanted to build a tamiya tank and this was a great build.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73057.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1040928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65251.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1040929  
Old 09-25-2008, 07:51 PM
mailedfist

Default RE: My sherman,almost done

Nice, NoW weather it!
Old 09-25-2008, 07:56 PM
trey3670

thats on my list,but I am a noob at weathering this is my first military scale model,I tryed a coupla things but not sure how to proceed
Old 09-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Alpha Male
My Feedback: (11)

Nice job, Trey. [sm=thumbs_up.gif] FYI, people kind of poked fun at me for putting the aluminum sprocket guards on my Sherman. [sm=red_smile.gif] Apparently they were not commonly used. The tank looks good, but the crates on the back may be a bit orange-ish. Could just be the picture.

Looking good!
Old 09-25-2008, 08:37 PM
trey3670

naw they are to bright,might have an idea on that though. I did take the antenna and solder it to a peice of wire and run it through the ant hold in the turrent,didn't like the idea of a wire sticking out the back. I kinda figured the guards where not used much,they would gather brush and stuff I bet,I have seen brush cutter pictures though might try to fab one of those.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:41 PM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Loose the skirts son. The apparently were for the early sprockets that tended to loose the tracks with the clutch steer and are not needed. I have 4 vehicles and havent thrown a track yet.

As per the painting, check the www.desertarmor.com sit for hints and tips.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Dmon1996

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a great model, but lose those orange crates! BTW, Build-a-Rama (www.build-a-rama.com) has resin sandbags that would look great on the front of that hull. And I've never seen a Sherman that didn't have sandbags or logs strapped across the front due to the thin armour. And don't fear the weathering- I just finished my Pershing, and it was a blast! I wish I could afford a Tamiya Sherman....guess I'll have to wait for Heng Long to release one.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:45 PM
goldenraven

Nice work with the sherman.

Goldenraven
Old 09-25-2008, 08:53 PM
trey3670

I appreciate the compliments fellas,glad to know Im not the only one that likes it! as far as cost goes,yeah they are on the up side of the hobby,BUT,there is a reason for it. you get your moneys worth.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:15 PM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice shermans are cool!!
Old 09-25-2008, 09:52 PM
hdbeast

Nice Sherman, a nice product to use is the Rustall kit for weathering, used by railroaders and diorama builders, it has four large bottles, one is for a rust, the more you add the thicker the rust looks, one for blackening, one for dull coating, and one that is a very fine dirt, but can be used for texture, chip affect (like using salt) or just to put a fine coat of dust on the tracks and lower hull, then sealed with the dull coat. Cost is about $20.00 for all and will do five to ten tanks. Sold at most large Hobby shops or you can get it direct (San Francisco, Ca.) Type RustAll in the search and you should find it.

The Sherman is a fun tank to build and run, take your time on the weathering and use pics for reference.

Enjoy, that's what is important.

Gary
Old 09-25-2008, 10:33 PM
goldenraven

ORIGINAL: trey3670

I appreciate the compliments fellas,glad to know Im not the only one that likes it! as far as cost goes,yeah they are on the up side of the hobby,BUT,there is a reason for it. you get your moneys worth.
what are we not pay for our hobby hehe my cv9040 will not be a lowcost one.

Goldenraven
Old 09-25-2008, 10:47 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Sherman,. There are a couple things you can do to greatly improve the looks..get rid of the silver paint on the axe, sledge head and pick head...use a grimey black and Rust All, The helmets should be in the tank and would never be laying loose on the back deck. Strap or rope on your jerry cans. "orange crates" has been addressed....they are suposed to represent K Rats boxes, so should be a plain pine wood color (with dirt). The sprocket guard was an early idea that never worked...like dust skirts..pain in the axe and normally discarded as soon as they tangled in some brush and presented a problem. On weathering, use a dry brush method....fairly stiff brush with "rubber" or dark brown, brush off almost all paint to where you have to apply a bit of presure to get any paint off. Run the brush from front to rear along the sides near the track, along entry points to hatches, fenders and where ever the crew would be climbing around with muddy boots etc. Use some "Rubber" or Grimey Black around the gas filler caps and Rust all on the radiator cap. Use a little Rust All on the same areas. (Micro-Mark has Rust All) Suspension and lower hull should be dirty with mud/dirt on the springs and horizontal shocks. Sandbags is a good idea on the bow but don't overdo it and block the driver's scopes. Think you will wind up with a cool Sherman.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:55 PM
trey3670

good advice,I am currenttly trying to find one of the old hairnets to make a netting out of for the rear deck,the helmets will go away. what bothers me is the rear deck,it just doesnt look right. also is the firefly the only one that uses the 17 pounder barrel? I am not modeling any paticular tank but want be somewhat acurate.

that cv9040 looks like a cool project,someday I might try that.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:25 AM
pattoncommander

Trey, note you have the brackets for pioneer tools painted black. They are metal brackets welded onto the tank and should be the same color as the tank, and the straps on the handles are web belts so an lighter color OD or tan would be better. Earlier tanks had leather straps, so brown would also fit. You have a camo net wrapped up along the side. Feasable, but camo nets were normally just folded and caried on the deck. If carried there, just have a simple rope or web strap holding in several locations, not so much rope and as neat as you have it. It would take forever to unwrap and use. The firefly is the only one with modified turret and 17 pounder.
Here's a shot of our M-4A3E8, early model with split loaders hatch. Note the pioneer tool brackets.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34950.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1041045  
Old 09-26-2008, 01:05 AM
mackem

Weathering isn't so hard and it really does bring a model to life.
Here are a couple of options that will allow you to experiment with weathering that wont destroy your model.
You can use water colours and pastels, or you could try using a Tamiya weathering kit which is my preffered choice.
With any of the above if you mess up or you aren't happy with the result, take a damp cloth, wipe it off, and start again.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:43 AM
pattoncommander

Trey, nix the comment on the camo net, I was looking at another tank...had a senior moment.