Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

King Tiger Colours

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 10:51 AM
madbadger

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default King Tiger Colours

Hello again, can anyone tell me what tamiya paint numbers i need to get this colour paint job on my KT please

thanks

Kev

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10439.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1052440  
Old 10-15-2008, 11:09 AM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
Default RE: King Tiger Colours

you will need colors

Rotbraun Tamiya XF-64 Dunkelgun Tamiya XF-61 Dunkelgelb Tamiya XF-60

Thanks
Jimmy
Old 10-15-2008, 03:34 PM
madbadger

thanks for that Jimmy

cheers

Kev
Old 10-15-2008, 03:46 PM
madbadger

Jimmy in what order should i paint it? eg: base colour first then which, this will be the first time i have sprayed something, i have bought a model spray gun. What ratio of paint to thinners do i need?

Kev
Old 10-15-2008, 04:24 PM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends on what you want to achieve if you are going to use air brush then I add 1/3 thinners if you are going t paint by hand leave it as it is on to the painting again it depends on hat you wish to achieve most would start painting everything in sight XF60 then add XF64 and XF61 as the camo patches if you wanted to have a late war finish then I would paint the whole tank red oxide then add small patches of the three colours in a camo pattern with the red oxide slightly bleeding through
Old 10-15-2008, 05:15 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

do as rivetcounter said but first practice with mixing paint and thinner tell you get what you want and also if you have never airbrushed before practice on a model you dont mind messing up first tell you find out what works for you .

thanks
jimmy
Old 10-16-2008, 03:18 AM
madbadger

i read on here a while back that brush painting if you want the authentic look, tiger crews painted there tanks to there own design, if you could suggest a type of paint brush to use, i think i would rather hand paint than spray seeing as i have never used a spray gun before (i didnt pay much for it anyway) but i will have a go ether way.

thanks

Kev
Old 10-16-2008, 11:49 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Kev,

I suggest painting the dark yellow as the base coat. Paint the whole tank. Notwithstanding the fact that this was the historic base color, but more relevant is that in my experience, the overspray from overlapping camo colors shows up least when you spray dark patches over a light coat. For some reason, light patch over a dark coat shows the overspray much more. I spray the lightest colors first, and the darkest last.

As to primer, red oxide is historic color, but in my experience, it makes the Tamiya dark yellow paint look greenish. I use gray primer now, as it gives me a more tannish/yellow look. You might want to experiment with this before painting the tank to see what I mean.