Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Bradley Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 07:42 AM
pcsguy88

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bradley Conversion

Hey guys, I just got my 21st Century M2A2 Bradley and am in the planning phase for the conversion. This Bradley is highly detailed with 1pc upper metal hull and the tow launcher deploys. I will need your help to pull this off since I only have the Bulldog and a bunch of VsTanks. I am getting an Optic 6 radio for Christmas and will begin gathering parts immediately. I already know the PIII & IV have 1" wide treads and will be what I use. Here are some questions I have:

Did 21st Century ever make an RC version of the Bradley that I could scrap for parts?

If I want to have the front sprockets drive the Bradley I will need a chain drive. Can anyone point me to something like this?

Do you think El Mod flash units would have enough juice to light one of those Testor rocket igniters? (I plan on having a 2 shot saturn rocket system in the tow launcher) If not, does somebody know enough to build one with a capacitor that would activate on command?

Does the PIII or IV have any swing arms for the road wheels? I've never seen one in person.

I figure the treads and suspension are the most important part of any build and I want to get it correct without buying several items that don't work. I might use the metal Tiger swing arms from RCC, but don't know their dimensions. I will do some measuring of wheels, turret underside, etc and post my findings so those of you willing can point me to the correct parts. In the meantime, what would be a good metal liner for the lower tub to reinforce it, yet workable with basic hand tools?

Thanks in advance, I am excited to carry this thru completion and learn all I can on the way.

Ron

Here is my inspiration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp0Stu8HV10
Old 12-12-2008, 07:47 AM
PanzerAce
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Bradley Conversion

Nice idea! However i usually dont work on converring thngs to rc I usually just weather tanks for people but i believe that the Elmod flash units would do the trick though.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:21 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I have the die-cast vehicle too myself and I do know there were no R/C offerings ... at least in this scale or from this company like their PIV and M113 were.

I think the size alone would make this a very good project for an R/C attempt.

You would have to do some type of out drive modifications for the final drive and the rubber-band type tracks might not hold up and stretch out. I'm sure once you open it up there will be several obstacles ahead of you, but that is the primary reason for attempting this ... the challenge!

Please post some progress pictures as you go along!
Old 12-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Dongskie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey that's an interesting project!

Does 21st Century toys have a website?

please post!

thanks guys!
Old 12-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Me-109 Jagdflieger

Heres their website, http://www.21stcenturytoys.com/
Jon
Old 12-12-2008, 11:03 AM
swathdiver

Is that the 1/6 scale version? Have you seen the one on youtube?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9vp0Gj59OY
Old 12-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Panther F

Maybe a [link=http://www.chunwai-model.com/list.asp?owen1=model&owen2=A7]REAL R/C BRADLEY[/link] from Chunwai is what you really need, instead of a conversion project.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:32 PM
pcsguy88

ORIGINAL: Panther F

Maybe a [link=http://www.chunwai-model.com/list.asp?owen1=model&owen2=A7]REAL R/C BRADLEY[/link] from Chunwai is what you really need, instead of a conversion project.

You just had to bring them up, didn't you. I've talked to Chunwai in the past and would kill for any of their 1/8th tanks, but I'm not sure this is the right economic climate to skip a mortgage payment for a toy. Hmm, toy just doesn't quite fit these guys. Anyways, thanks for the support, I am excited about this conversion and hope I have the time to make steady progress. My M2 has 4 screws holding it together and all the interior detail is 1 large piece. Perfect for my needs. I have a VsTank T-72 that has been scrapped for parts. I will see if the turret ring, turret motor and gun elevation motors will work. If they don't, looks like I'm buying a PIII to scrap. Does anyone have a comparison pic of the regular and the low profile HL gearboxes? I also need help locating a chain drive for the drive sprockets.

Panther F, do you have a Team Bravo M3? Judging by the size difference, I swear this M2 ia a 1/16th. It makes their M3 Bradley and M1A1 seem small, but looks great next to my bloated Bulldog.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:28 AM
Panther F

It has stamped 21st Century on the bottom. It has the Grey over sand camo. Pretty big for this project, wish you luck with it!
Old 12-13-2008, 08:28 AM
swathdiver

Have you looked at the VS 1/24 Abrams as a source for sprockets and track links?
Old 12-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Dongskie

ORIGINAL: Me-109 Jagdfleiger

Heres their website, http://www.21stcenturytoys.com/
Jon
I cant find any bradley there

and PCS gjuy can you post pics of your bradley?

thanks!
Old 12-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Panther F

The 21st Century Bradley is OOP. You can still get the Bravo Team version http://store.foxholetoys.com/118.html right here.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Dongskie

The 21st Century Bradley is OOP. You can still get the Bravo Team version http://store.foxholetoys.com/118.html right here.

Thanks Mate!
Old 12-14-2008, 06:23 AM
pcsguy88

ORIGINAL: swathdiver

Have you looked at the VS 1/24 Abrams as a source for sprockets and track links?
I was going to use those when I was looking to convert my FOV M3 Bradley, but I've tried twice and still cannot get it apart. The bottom is 2 parts and the sides are seperate. It would be too difficult to convert and have easy access to the components.

I cant find any bradley there

and PCS gjuy can you post pics of your bradley?

thanks!
These are not my pics, but they work:

Old 12-14-2008, 06:41 AM
pcsguy88

Or you can go to a few Targets in your area and find it for $22. I love this model, but can't get the thing disassembled. Much too complex for a conversion. Only the turret hatches and the rear door open compared to about 12 compartments on the 21st Century one. The TOW launcher won't even deploy.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:53 PM
pcsguy88

I got my Panzer III for the conversion yesterday from RC Command and do not know if I have the heart to kill it. What a nice little tank. Also got my Optic 6 transmitter, Dremel and Dremel drillpress attachment for Christmas. Everything is in place, hopefully I get some good quality time to begin.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Dongskie

ORIGINAL: pcsguy88

I got my Panzer III for the conversion yesterday from RC Command and do not know if I have the heart to kill it. What a nice little tank. Also got my Optic 6 transmitter, Dremel and Dremel drillpress attachment for Christmas. Everything is in place, hopefully I get some good quality time to begin.
Go ahead and kill that Panzer, I'll buy the complete chassis from you if that's a HENG LONG..

DEAL?
Old 01-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Dongskie

And please post photos of your developments... we would love to see your conversion..
Old 01-10-2009, 03:56 AM
pcsguy88

I'll fire up the camera once I get ready to make the first cut. The HL PIII chassis will be complete since I am using metal treads, sprockets and swing arms. I just need the guts. Not sure if I'll keep it for my 1/18th collection or not.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:19 AM
vamos

Hey Pcsguy, go for it! I'm in the same project and also use Pz3 for some components
Regards,
vamos
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74456.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1109199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20727.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1109200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh94555.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	1109201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo36697.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	1109202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq89995.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	1109203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zq95744.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1109204   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rt32994.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	1109205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fe13987.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1109206  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kj81800.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	1109207   Click image for larger version

Name:	An65308.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	1109208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag38905.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1109209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs75838.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1109210  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:04 PM
pcsguy88

That is really nice Vamos. I am going to start with a metal bathtub and the suspension before I start the rest. I should be getting my PIV metal sprocket and tracks today or tomorrow, hope the sprocket really is smalled because the PIII would be impossible to hide. I'm having to purchase all the tools as I go, like a tap/die set and tin snips, slowing me down even more. I hope to have the tub in place and the holes drilled for the suspension this week. Wish I had more time, but my schedule is always insane. I like your Tow launcher, but I will not be happy until I can launch Saturn Missiles out of mine. That should open some eyes in my hood.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:06 PM
pcsguy88

The telephone detangler is brilliant!
Old 01-14-2009, 05:32 AM
vamos

PIV metal sprockets don't work, even they are a bit smaller than PIII sprockets, are still too big. I asked an "handy man" to make a pair of custom sprockets. PIV tracks are a good choice, they are longer than PIII tracks and after removing 2-3 links will be a nice fit to Bradley. I spend some time trying to make a smoke unit using resistor wire and a pc fan, but when the hot smoke touch the metal body it turns in lichid and stain the body. Also it draw a lot of juice from the battery. After some reading on the net about water vaporisation I found and buy a device like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fENvOZMZRV0
It works like a charm, very low current draw compared to a heating element, and the mist being cold it doesnt condense on the metall body. Now I will try to take out the piezo ellement and fit it to an empty printer ink cartrige as water reservoir to save space. If it works I'll post pics or a video.
Excuse my ignorance, what are Saturn Missiles?
Also please excuse my bad english.

All the best,
vamos
Old 01-14-2009, 08:58 AM
pcsguy88

Saturn Missiles are fireworks available in the US. Here's a [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZugKtcOWYE&feature=related]video.[/link]

I hope the PIV sprocket will fit in there without looking too bad. I just don't have the resources to custom build sprockets. Side armor will have to hide as much as possible. The more I look at your pics, the more amazed I am. You have done a stunning job.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:48 AM
vamos

You have done a stunning job.
You're too kind. This is my first contact with RC world and I enjoy it. I posted the pics to share some ideeas. The two antenas from the turret are made from pieces of guitar chord. The machine gun is made from a parker ballpoint pen, with a laser diode inside. The canon is the tip of a carbon fishing rod. The turret is fitted with a cheap e-sky helicopter gyro, no pictures yet but is very fun to watch the gun "locked to target" when tank moves. The telephone detangler has 4 contacts. This way I can bring 2 channels in the turret (+, - and two signals). I split one channel and with one stick can control both gun elevation and the tow launcher (stick down to neutral controls gun elevation, neutral to up - rise the tow launcher). The other channel is for fire, down for MG and up for gun. Last night I managed to motorise the rear door using a small servo with metall gear.

Browsing the net i found this: http://www.rctankhq.com/Kenny's%20Model%20Tanks.htm
The "1/16 T-81 Pershing Tracks with Sprockets" look like better fit to Bradley than PIV sprocket. I emailed them asking for dimensions but get no answer.

I'll be back with fresh pics next week, i hope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.