Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Leopard 2A6 Questions....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Leopard 2A6 Questions....

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 03:03 PM
AlphaAuriga
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leopard 2A6 Questions....

Apparently I was posting in the wrong section :O

I got a Tamiya Leopard 2A6 for Xmas. I really wanted one of these for a long time, but my "hobby" money went to racing my Nitro and Electric racers...

Anyways, I've been doing some research and have the following questions. Any help would be appreciated....

1) I'm planning on getting the Spektrum DX6i w/o servos. So, what is a good servo? Or what is the minimum performance requirements needed (speed/torque)? I'm used to buying super heavy duty ones for my 8th scale buggies and am absolutely sure those would be overkill not to mention very expensive.

2) I'd like to get metal tracks and the metal idler gears for it. Can someone recommend a reliable source for these items? I see lots of sellers located in Hong Kong. Just not sure how reliable some of these places are as I've been burned once before...

3) Has anyone used Lipo in their tank yet? I use them in my 10th scale 4wd and like them alot. thoughts?

Thanks for any help

Old 12-26-2008, 04:30 PM
Pershing101

Default RE: Leopard 2A6 Questions....

Congratulations on getting the Leo under the tree. It is the racehorse of the RC tank universe and an excellent kit. To answer some of your questions:

- the only servo required for this tank is included in the box (for the main gun elevation)

- The Leo is excellently engineered and many of us here have built and driven it stock with no problems. The tracks are nylon plastic with rubber track pads and are very durable and shouldn't give you any trouble at all. While you certainly can upgrade to metal tracks and running gear, it isn't necessary to run this tank outside through all kinds of terrain. If you want to go that route however this site has it all:
http://afv-model.com/4711shop/index.php
or this one
http://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/k...iya:::1_6.html
or
http://www.etoarmour.com/products.php?ViewCategory=7

- The only "must have" upgrades the forum here seems to agree on are the the air defense machine gun (left out of the Tamiya kit for some reason) and the Tamiya 1:16 crew members (also ommitted in the kit). Additional upgrades that are nice to have but not needed are the idler upgrade, metal swing arms and the bearing replacements. If you install metal tracks then you should also go the metal route for the return rollers, the arms as well as the idler upgrade to handle the extra weight. The metal swing arms (for the road wheels) are much stronger than the kit's plastic arms. Some people have broken their stock plastic arms by over tightening the locking screws that secure them to the hull.

- One thing to consider with this kit is that normal model glues for poly-styrene and alike will not adhere well to the lower hull. It is made out of PVC style plastic I think. This can cause havoc as the return rollers are just glued to the hull, not bolted, as well as everything else below the main deck. They will soon fall off the model unless PVC glue or a strong resin glue is used. The supplied Tamiya glue in the kit is not very good.

I hope this helps!

Chris
Old 12-26-2008, 04:46 PM
AlphaAuriga

Awesome response! Thanks!

Wow, sounds like a very solid model. I guess I'm just used to buying a nitro/electric race buggy and have to immediately make certain upgrades. If the metal "stuff" isn't a necessity I'm not going to do it. While I will definitely drive this model around, its definitely going to be "babied".

With regard to servos... The kit does not come with servos does it? I mean the ones that make it turn or drive it right? I have to buy those, right?

TIA!
Old 12-26-2008, 05:31 PM
h8ted

I didn't realise so many places sold the metal leo tracks.

Can anyone recommend somewhere i can find some replacement plastic tamiya leo tracks.

I found them on the TamiyaUSA site - but they dont ship worldwide unfortunatley.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:27 PM
phasor

Hi, I agree with Pershing 101. The upgrade path for the Leo 2A6 is limited as it is a well-engineered product and currently stands as the state-of-the-art in 1/16th RC tanking. Again, there is no need for extra servos as the only one you need is already provided. The DMD/MFU unit controls all functions like throttle, speed, turning, lights and audio. If you are eventually tempted to upgrading tracks, note that the one offered by the 1st website, afv-model, is not for the 2A6 but for earlier Tamiya models (Leopard 1A4 and Gepard) and are off-size. Try building a Sherman or Tiger 1 first as the 2A6 requires prior study, time/patience and confidence. All Tamiya tanks come with pre-assembled gearbox-not this one. Light functions utilize fiber optic cables.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:46 PM
AlphaAuriga

Okay I get it, thanks....

The kit only requires one servo and thats included. So, all I need to buy is the radio (Tx/Rx)! I just thought with a forward/reverse, left right, I'd need at least one servo for that, Then I'd need another for the turret....

But I get it now

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2008, 01:42 AM
Pershing101

H8ted,
Try this site. They carry the tracks for $65 US dollars and probably would gladly ship to you down under:

http://www.aaftankmuseum.com/leopardmain.htm

Phasor, good catch on the Leopard 1A4 tracks. I never noticed that before. It is strange AFV sells metal running gear but not the tracks as well for the 2A6.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:43 PM
wsn123

What speaker is mounted in Tamiya Leo 2A6
- size cm
- rated power W
- max power W
- mean sound pressure level dB

Is Visaton FRS7 be beter than original from Tamiya
- size 6.5 cm
- rated power 8W
- max power 15W
- mean sound pressure level 88dB

Which is better to choose 4 ohm or 8 ohm?
I try to find better speaker and fit it into original Tamiya box
Old 01-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use a Spektrum Dx6 with a BR6000 on mine, and it works fine.  As for batteries, try some L-ions  http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/FRREL2CD.html.

Congrats on the tank.  It's Tamiya's best.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

God I'm sick with envy. LOL Although I don't have the Tamiya LEO I have looked at it and read about it a great deal. I would definately get the metal suspension arms. I have the stock Tamiya LEO tracks on my HE LEO 2A5 and they are the best stock track I have ever seen Bar None. i also beleive that the plastic that Tamiya is using for the lower hull is ABS. Bob from ETO may be able to confirm or deny this but ABS is actually more durable than PVC for this type of application, so if it is not Styrene it is probably ABS.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:34 PM
harryfish

3) I usually use lipo in my tank, i have some 2200 7.4 that are nice and light, and a 6600 7.4 for some serious run time.[sm=thumbup.gif]

Old 01-14-2010, 03:24 PM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

The kit uses five types of plastic; ABS, POM, PA-GF, PA-MD and PC-GF. The regular model plastic is used for the modeling and detail only. All the running gear, suspension, hull lower and upper and moving parts are high impact plastic custom formulated for its purpose, for example ABS plastic (about the strength of PVC pipe) is used for the lower, upper hull, suspension arms and roadwheels.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:39 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ABS has a little more Ductillity, witch means it has a lilttle more give with out the probabillity of cracking easily. I have been in the pipe trades for thirty years and have used all the plastics in that field. ABS is very durable as it actually has a fiber intergrated in the resin.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:04 AM
Alan123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a leo2 and can say that the only improvement it needs is a better track tensioner, the stock tracks are fine just as they are. There is no need to do anything else to it.

After having said that though I did modify mine as follows:

1. Metal hull reinforcement kit from AFV models.
2. Track tensioner from AFV models.
3. Wheel and suspension bearing from Manheader online shop ebay.
4. Home made metal torsion bar restraints.
5. Home made track return rollers with full lenght enclosed metal shafts and bearings.
6. I left off all the mudguards.
7. Infra red sighting beam.
8. Battle system.
9. Movable periscope.

In action: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt5pO_NQUwI[/youtube]

I have been driving mine hard for over 2yrs and it is still going strong and really ony the track tensioner mod was necessary the rest was just for fun.

Cheers

AL