Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

When breaking in gears.......

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

When breaking in gears.......

Old 01-01-2009, 08:13 PM
timslocum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When breaking in gears.......

can you use GoJo hand cleaner with pumas? I was reading the FAQ for breaking in gears and cant find the stuff they recommend using. After the cleaning, could you use Marine white lithium grease? I wonder if Heng Long watches this forum and makes improvements to the new tanks? If they put better gears in the tank then this breakin step wouldnt be neccessary, right??
Old 01-01-2009, 08:41 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: When breaking in gears.......

You could use the GoJo. There have been other users that have used this. I just used a machinist's compound on my new steel gears. Just make sure that you keep it away from the bushings and you wash it out good after using it. I'd hit it with some WD40 after letting it dry a bit to ensure that the water is out of the way. Lithium will work well, especially if you might be running through some puddles where the gears might get wet. I'd go with Molybdenum grease if you can find some.

BTW...get the steel gears from RC Command. I only broke them in "just to be sure". They span pretty freely right out of the box. Light years ahead of the standard metal gears.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Dmon1996

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used toothpaste (same idea as Go Jo) to break in the gears. But I will recommend that you go to an auto supply shop and get valve lapping compound, it's easy to get and is only $5. I found that anything water based like Go Jo or toothpaste was impossible to get rid of after finishing, where as the valve lapping compound is grease with grit. Just wash the gearset in varsol or gasoline (with a lot of ventilation) or kerosene, and it's gone! And I found that I had to clean the gears two or three times before I was satisfied with my gear wearing, but you can not tell if enough is enough until they are clean.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Just be certain the bearings/bushings have plenty of lubricant during this process and it is not run dry while breaking your gears in.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:30 PM
fsciorelli

You can buy Clover lapping compund from Mc Master-Carr. Delivery is fast and their prices are hard to beat. BTW they have an awsome selection of all kinds of hardware.

http://www.mcmaster.com/
Old 01-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Perry S.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used Gojo to break in gears and it worked great. Completely disassemble the gearboxes after and wash them out then apply a lube.
Perry
Old 01-02-2009, 05:06 PM
timslocum

Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:19 PM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IME gojo took longer to break in a gearbox then Crest toothpaste. Both cleaned right up in about a minute under the sink with hot water. Never used the valve lapping compound, it sounds better suited for the job. I'm lazy and tend to use what's around the house.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:04 AM
madbadger

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i take it these are Heng Long boxes you are running it with 'tooth paste/grinding paste' ?

i fitted a set of impact boxes and asked this question to the supplier about running in the boxes with paste type materials, he passed me straight onto a guy at Impact. He asked me if i was mad!!! tooth paste, he said it was like putting sand in a car gearbox, something you should never do. He told me to use any sort of lube, i suggested motorcycle chain spray (it sticks like sticky goo and doesn't fling off like normal grease does) he said that would be ideal. All i had to do was connect them up to battery and run them for 30 mins, then fit them to the tank. He also said the boxes would quiet down after a while, which i would agree with.

Kev
Old 01-03-2009, 06:44 AM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: madbadger

i take it these are Heng Long boxes you are running it with 'tooth paste/grinding paste' ?

i fitted a set of impact boxes and asked this question to the supplier about running in the boxes with paste type materials, he passed me straight onto a guy at Impact. He asked me if i was mad!!! tooth paste, he said it was like putting sand in a car gearbox, something you should never do. He told me to use any sort of lube, i suggested motorcycle chain spray (it sticks like sticky goo and doesn't fling off like normal grease does) he said that would be ideal. All i had to do was connect them up to battery and run them for 30 mins, then fit them to the tank. He also said the boxes would quiet down after a while, which i would agree with.

Kev

Heng Long and Asiatam gearboxes. Never a failure. Chain grease is a lubricant, not something you'd break them in with. It's quite possible they're so well made (Impact gearboxes) you do not need to really break them in. They'll develop a wear pattern and quiet down in short order.