Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

My Gift To You - Mato Toys M4A1(76)W

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

My Gift To You - Mato Toys M4A1(76)W

Old 01-15-2009, 08:36 AM
removeb4flt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My Gift To You - M4A1(76)W

good job swath. how are the vvss connected to the hull? can we unbolt the entire vvss to plug on to a tamiya 105? maybe you could show us how the proto vvss was made so I could if it will fit on a tam sherman?
Old 01-15-2009, 09:20 AM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: removeb4flt

good job swath. how are the vvss connected to the hull? can we unbolt the entire vvss to plug on to a tamiya 105? maybe you could show us how the proto vvss was made so I could if it will fit on a tam sherman?

We put together a kit for the Tamiya guys, not sure what the decision on that will be though. They were designed to bolt(screw) up to the hull, don't know if this has changed or not. As for pics, don't have permission to release any, sorry.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:25 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The El MOD system has adjustments for damage that can be programmed in. A definate advancement over the Tamiya system. I won't hold my breath for that. I'll just be happy if it interacted with Tamiya. I hear you about the apple height, Some clubs run pretty tight rules about this though. I think they are missing the boat with a rigid stand like that, but it is a fact that the apple height is specified as an important condition of partcipation.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:34 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I would like to see Tam or a similar system come out with programable reciever areas etc, but as I said, I am far from an electronics expert. Most of my knowledge is "lick you fingers, stick 'em in the socket, confirm electric current in same". However, I am reasonably sure it can be done, but at what price?
On the apples, yes, I am welll aware of restrictions from some clubs, and they are well within their rights to do so. Here, there is no such restriction, but we are plowing new ground in this AO.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:52 AM
blitzkrieg65

ORIGINAL: sevoblast

I would like to see Tam or a similar system come out with programable reciever areas etc, but as I said, I am far from an electronics expert. Most of my knowledge is "lick you fingers, stick 'em in the socket, confirm electric current in same". However, I am reasonably sure it can be done, but at what price?
On the apples, yes, I am welll aware of restrictions from some clubs, and they are well within their rights to do so. Here, there is no such restriction, but we are plowing new ground in this AO.
On the Apple height if you read the RCACN rules,, the very same they use for Danville! The sensors themself have to be 1 inch above the height of where they sit on the turret!

That is why I make all of my DBU's the height that they are! And I agree with YHR that those clubs that are even more ridgid are missing the boat and will be a frindge of the

hobby soon, not the norm!

The Blitz
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16351.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	1111322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60676.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	1111323  
Old 01-15-2009, 12:06 PM
CarreraGTSCS
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good to see what I hope will be an affordable and reliable Sherman in 1/16th scale. I'm glad it's the cast hull version too. Always like the look of the early ones. As for the price, I'm hoping it's more along the lines of the basic HL tanks that I have. I really like the Matorro KT but passed on it for price and reliability issues.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Swath and Murphy for making this one happen!

Mike
Old 01-15-2009, 12:37 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm ready right now ... how much is it and when is it arriving at my address?
Old 01-15-2009, 01:03 PM
sevoblast

Yes, Blitz, I am fully aware of the RCACN rules, having been to Danville many times, and our Jax club sponsored a meet or two.
Here, as long as the apple takes a hit from 20m from all quadrants, it is OK. IFA vehicles must take a hit from 270 degrees, figured 45 degrees off centre line from the front on each side on a horizontal plane with the main gun tube. We are also setting all tanks for "light" except the KT and Pershing, which are set for "medium". The only heavy is JT, and JT can not fight on a team of 4. He can have only 2 assistants, but even then he is pretty much omnipotent. Don't use him often.
We are also working an a filter system for some of the tanks for side hits and rear hits. This will be a physical filter on the Tam or Impact Battle Systems. For instance, a Kt was to all intents and purposes IFA also, and generally from the sides pretty hard to penitrate unless the other side was at point blank range, or a JS2. A Sherman, even the Firefly, would generally scratch the paint and mayhap break the headlight lens, annoying the tank commander no end, but asides from that, no damage. Problem is, a filter can not take in to account a final drive or sprocket hit, so where to we go and what do we do? Then you got the problem of a P3 knocking out a Pershing or JT or KT. Not gonna happen with them, and even difficult for the P3 to take out a Sherman at any range beyond knife fighting range unless he had the latest 5.0cm squeezer. Bottom line, we do what we can with what we got.
Still and all, the Impact and Tamiya Battle Systems are pretty much state of the art, especially considering they are plug and play at a somewhat reasonable price. I am sure as time passes there will be improvements. Problem is said improvements have to be compatable with existing systems and product already in tanker's hands. To do otherwise is not good market sense. And in my opinion all systems should be made Tamiya compatable if humanly possible. Tamiya is the big guns when it comes to IR tank combat, especially outside the USA. Here, the only HL or Wasan are converted to full function Tamiya, and all use the Tam or Impact Battle System.
On the apple, my extensive experience and tests have shown there is no physical advantage beyond cosmetic. Our rules are the bottom fin must be 3mm above the cupola top surface. or MG ring top surface. Now, a few years ago we did have one lad with a scratch built unit with an absolutely flat roof. Seems his apple lost a fin or three in the mounting process. That made a huge difference, and he was told to raise the apple 3mm above the flat surface and install the missing fins, or he could not run it with our club. We also found out after the fact that at a meet it seems some tanks from another team were registered as "heavy", and then for the actual combat sequence were reset to medium. So there you are, fighting and mentally figuring 9 second reply count, and he pops you in 5. Hmmmm. That don't fly here. If you is heavy or medium or light, that is how you fiight, period.
It is good to see the rapid expansion of our hobby. I can remember just a few years ago when the two main supplier's entire stock range would fit vertically in a shoe box with lots of room for expansion. How times have changed! It is grand. Only problem is, with all the new tanks, and the vco watching the purse strings, it is difficult to get everything I want. Make that impossible to get everything I want. Good thing she is a tanker also. Still and all, I am most pleased to see the rapid expansion of both tanks and parts for same.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Panther F

He he. [sm=lol.gif] My favorite is a 105MM Sherman putting hits on a KT. Yeah, right. [sm=lol.gif] But it is what it is.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:44 PM
sevoblast

Or a P3 owning a Pershing.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:51 AM
astroboycp

No pictures[X(]
Old 01-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Panther F

ORIGINAL: astroboycp

No pictures[X(]
http://www.matotoys.cn/eng/News.asp?id=15 [sm=lol.gif]
Old 01-16-2009, 02:58 PM
OliverLove

Swath - What great news!!! I'll add my cudo's to the list of others and say thank you for all your hard work!

I am curious though, up until very recently Mato has built toy tanks, then came the Panzer 3 with the 2 variants, but I guess I'm very hesitant to beleive that a major toy company is going to change their tune so fast. What did you say to the marketing team to convince them that 16 variants could be sold on a global level. As a recent business graduate I'm curious how approached that conversation, and how they responded.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:55 PM
YHR

ORIGINAL: OliverLove

Swath - What great news!!! I'll add my cudo's to the list of others and say thank you for all your hard work!

I am curious though, up until very recently Mato has built toy tanks, then came the Panzer 3 with the 2 variants, but I guess I'm very hesitant to beleive that a major toy company is going to change their tune so fast. What did you say to the marketing team to convince them that 16 variants could be sold on a global level. As a recent business graduate I'm curious how approached that conversation, and how they responded.

Interesting questions .

I think a good plan with opportunities clearly laid out is an easy sell.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:27 PM
jay612

Awesome! Swath, a great friend of mine was a platoon leader in the 1st armored div. in North Africa .On Valentines day 1943 his M3 was hit and he was captured.Out of 26 men in his platoon 16 were kia. Can't wait to get a tank from this era.THANKS!
Old 01-18-2009, 03:44 PM
gigantohawk

So James, you are going to cost me money...LOTS of money !!!!. You know I find all variants of the Sherman irresistible. Well done all the same.

p.s. Are the electronics and sounds an improvement over Heng Long ?. Do the gear ratios offer a convincing scale speed ?.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:21 AM
swathdiver

Jay that would make for a great story up in the War Room! Would love to hear the details if he's so inclined to share them.

Gigantohawk- All new electronics and sounds but haven't heard or operated them yet. I believe the gearbox will be the same as the King Tiger for the first release.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:16 PM
kclank

ORIGINAL: sevoblast

Here's what you do with the apple..it affects the combat specs zero, I've been doing it for years. Again, I will not get in an argument over lowered apples. And I totally agree, HL and Matorro need to make their IR system compatable with the Tamiya system.
As for the tank in the photo, he was captured on the East front, don't know when. Saw one photo years ago of him. He had the Pzkw4 7.5cm in him, and the minimum two colour cammo scheme was quite obvious. And I well remember the track hangers on the turret, albeit with different tracks. There is also a photo extant of a KV, if memory serves a KV 76, with the Pzkw4 7.5cm in him also, although not as well done as the Sherm photo I saw. Sherm was up armoured with battlefield scrap, the one side I saw definately had a large piece of a T34 attached.
When you get in to swarms of Shermans on the battlefield, then we may have to get in to IFA on some of the heavies. JT is definately IFA, as was the King pretty much. Only way to do that at the moment is tape off the apple. Would be nice to eventually have some kind of "adjustable" apple with different values for front, sides, and rears for hit intensity. Pipe dream? Don't know enough about electronics to say.
i love this
Old 01-28-2009, 07:21 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

January 28th... almost FEB..... any more word or ETA on this....

PRE-ORDER options ???????

CHEERS!

-TOMAS in TEXAS
Old 01-28-2009, 07:33 PM
blitzkrieg65

ORIGINAL: nemesis4u

January 28th... almost FEB..... any more word or ETA on this....

PRE-ORDER options ???????

CHEERS!

-TOMAS in TEXAS
Keep an eye on the Universe or read the Blog on RCTankWars.com My supplier said " hoping" mid March but I still have not got any pricing or any more details! As soon as I hear more I will post here and on my Blog!

The Blitz
Old 01-28-2009, 07:40 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

"TANKS BLITZ"

and word from BILL at RC COMMAND ??

-TOMAS in TEXAS
Old 01-28-2009, 08:53 PM
YHR

I heard mid February. I got my fingers crossed, as that is just around the corner!!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 10:44 PM
swathdiver

This week they're on Holiday for the Lunar New Year. Will know more next week sometime when they return to work.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:15 PM
RSEA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the Apples look best when they are painted to match the tank they are installed on. When they are left in their unpainted BLACK state, they really stand out like a sore thumb and look like a foreign object that doesn't belong on the model. Only practical reason I can see for leaving them unpainted and black is so the same apple can be swapped around on different tank models. Maybe most people that run them black have one apple that they use with several different models? I would paint them at least a base color that matched most of my models, like dark yellow or olive drab green, if I was trying to make due with one apple. Just my thoughts on the matter.. Or maybe paint it like a MacIntosh apple
Old 01-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm looking forward too this reales. About time we got some new Allied armor. Aint much fun putting German tanks against German tanks. Unless someone released a W. German Vs. E. German tank combo. That would be interesting I think.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.