Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

WW2 Tank Cannon Shells

Thought some of you would find this interesting..

These are the shells used by some of the well known tanks of WW2.. It's cool to see them side by side so you can actually see the difference in size, shell length, projectile type. Some of them look like big Centerfire cartridges on steroids.

Left to Right: 37mm German, 50mm German "short" (HVAP shot), 50mm German "long", 40mm "2 Pdr" British, and 57mm "6 Pdrs" British, with APDS.

left to right: 75mm USA M3 (Sherman, Cromwell, Churchill), 75mm German PaK 41 75L48, and 88 for the 88L56 AKA "The "88" "

left to right: 76mm British QF 17Pdrs (APDS shot), 75mm German Long (Panther and jagdpanzer 4), and 88 Long (King Tiger and Jagdpanther)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: WW2 Tank Cannon Shells

That is cool, thanks for posting Nitro! Can you find the Pershing, Super Pershing shell?

The Blitz
    RCTankWars.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Phil, 90mm rounds for the Pershing and Super are in Hunnicutt's Pershing pages 127, 145 and 153. The standard 90mm AP and HE iused in M-26, 46, 47, 48 are nearly identical in appearance to the Tiger I 88.

http://cgsc.cdmhost.com/cgi-bin/show...l9&CISOPTR=161
    another interesting site on 90mm ammo.
    HL M-26, M-46, M-41B, T-34/85, IDF M-51 (2)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

how about the Sturmtigers "shell" lol would hate to be the loader on one...380mm goodness [:-]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge95425.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	1115990   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pk30479.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	1115991  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the sturmtiger had a mini crane setup for loading the shells since they were 700+ lbs each

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I did some math to figure out the ballistics numbers for that 90mm Pershing shell firing A.P.C-T ammo.

The projectile weighing 24.11lbs converts to 10936.112 grams of weight.. I needed the weight of the projectile in grains since that's what i'm used to using for firearm ammunition so I converted it.. 10936.112 grams = 168769.764 grains..

So with a projectile that weighs 168769.764 grains(24.11lbs) travelling at 2800 fps you get 190429 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle haha Nuts isn't it? At 2000 yards it still hits with terrifying authority 2334fps@2000yards = 132318 ft/lbs of energy.
    Going by Hunnicut's pages the 90mm pershing shell retains 1316fps at 7000 yards so what you end up with is still 42065 ft/lbs of energy at 7000 yards..

anyways.. I'll figure out the KingTiger Next [8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ha, thats a little ove 190,000 Joules of energy. Our airsoft guns are capped at .1 joules by law so roughly 2 million times more powerful than our tanks.
    Perry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

by law? huh?
    If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. - Ronald Reagan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Actually it's one Joule, not .1 Joule. It does vary a bit by country though. So for a .2g bb over 380 fps is illegal. I guess I'm a law breaker But then again I speed too.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the link I sent to Blitz has all the tech data for all standard 90mm ammo.
    HL M-26, M-46, M-41B, T-34/85, IDF M-51 (2)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I read on the airsoft forums that they turn their guns down to 420fps for competition. Saw some sniper rifles that shoot 500-600fps.

Anyhow this post was timely, I was just speaking to someone today about making empty and loaded shells in various calibers!

We were was also discussing ways to easily increase the fps of airsoft units to 200fps or so. My proposal is to make a more reliable breech with a tighter seal and a larger air chamber for the piston/plunger assembly. What do you think?
    If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. - Ronald Reagan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

swathdiver, the key to power is swept volume just like I said in the other posts.. I have modified air rifles of all kinds (spring/co2/HPA-high pressure air) etc and the key to spring powerplants is a balance of swept volume, transferport size, and spring rates.

If you're going to put the effort into the airgun or have somebody willing to manufacturer this please if it's not too much to ask include me into this, I can defnitely help with the design and advice..

Do you have msn messanger? we can chat realtime about this.. I'm actually trying to find the means to get a new assembly made but it's very time consuming to find a machine shop that will do this and a manufacturing facility [:@] If you have that taken care of I'll be more than glad to help with the design.. I know airguns

I have access to a Milling machine and lathe but it's not the equipment need to cut gears..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Nitro,
    It's probably been played to death but have you seen my CO2 guns for tanks? Couple different threads on here. Not spring powered though. Only drawback is that you have to replace the cartridges. 2 in2 of volume and 125 psi. Probably too much for most but I have fun
    Perry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Perry S, I looked up your co2 gun, you did a nice job.. I thought about the CO2 gun setup, I actually have the stuff to make it.. I have many co2 valves / valve parts from various pistols and rifles that i've repaired or mod'd for customers. It wouldnt take much for me to make a gun for these tanks that shoots in the 600+ fps range with a .177 pellet, I just don't think it's necessary to go through all that hassle for something that we wont be able to use in battle.. The whole point to this is to have tanks that are functional for battling against themselves.. If I want to shoot pellets at high velocities i'll grab one of my magnum spring guns or HPA rifles and put holes through 1" thick boards at 25 yards, and that's no joke.

Our mod'd HL airsoft guns can break the harder high quality 6mm paintballs at approx 40 feet.. We're just looking for a little more but the main thing is to develop something that will survive shot after shot without the internals self destructing from the spring preload.. They're at the point now where they're lasting quite well, but if we could have something a little beefier would be great..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Seems like an aluminum machined breech would be an easy enough part to machine/make with your parts. Also, there is a gear in there that has a small post that pulss back the plunger. I have broke many of those. I have had good luck replacing them with a metal rod threaded on one end. Just some sugestions.
    Perry