Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Panzer III or IV

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Panzer 4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panzer III or IV

I am trying to decide between a Panzer III or IV for my first tank. My concern is with respect to the suspension. The modelling opportunities for either of these looks to be a wide open plain.

I have seen that there are suspension upgrades for some of the Heng Long tanks; including, the Panzer III. I am curious about the effectiveness of the se upgrade parts in acheiving a more scale-like movement- are these parts recommended by most, are they really not an improvement... I am also wondering if anybody knows of any suspension upgrade parts that are in the works for the Panzer IV?

Thanks in advance, and I have enjoyed reading many of the posts here. I really must also thank the contributors to this segment of the forum for freely sharring so much informatiom.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Panzer III or IV

The PZ IV already has metal suspension as standard and metal tracks are easy to get.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Panzer 4

Thanks Wozwasnt.

Perhaps you could rate the performance of the Panzer IV suspension to a stock and a modified Panzer III?

Also, would anyone recommend the metal tracks and wheels as a must have?

One more question.... I have noted that there is recently an adjustable idler for the Panzer III. This does seem like a very useful item. Is there a comparable device for the P4?

Old 02-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Wozwasnt

The metal tracks don't realy improve the tanks performance.

They do make the tank look more realistic and in some ways drive more realistic ie. it drives through grass and doesn't just drive over it. But adding metal tracks put more strain on other parts, gearboxes, suspension and idler wheels which is why most people upgrade these (especially the gearboxes).

Buy two tanks and run one as it is and upgrade the other
Old 02-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Panzer 4

I am already considering two P4s. One as an F2 or a G, the other to be converted to a D.

Sure would be great if there were lower hull conversions for the P3. An early model, say maybe a C or a D? I was laying out designs for the componants some time back. I sure wish my job didn't keep me so busy. Wait a minute... thats what pays for this stuff.... Argh!

My other real interest is making a custom gear box. That is one reason that I would like a more realistic suspension for a test platform.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Wozwasnt

ORIGINAL: Panzer 4

Thanks Wozwasnt.

Perhaps you could rate the performance of the Panzer IV suspension to a stock and a modified Panzer III?

Also, would anyone recommend the metal tracks and wheels as a must have?

One more question.... I have noted that there is recently an adjustable idler for the Panzer III. This does seem like a very useful item. Is there a comparable device for the P4?

I've got two PZIIIs and a PZIV but I've not driven them that much. One of the PZIII's came with metal tracks (and gearboxes) and that seems better then the one with plastic tracks. The PZIV I only checked to see if it worked then put it on my "to do" shelf.

I'm planning on upgrading all "my" tanks eventualy because I prefer the metal gear but I'll have one or two stock ones for when my nephew visits.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:43 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pz III is definately a good choice, especially if you are into modelling. It's a very good runner and there are conversion kits for many variants and Ostketten are available. I have 8 Pz III's, and converted them into Ausf G with Ostketten , H, M (flame), N with short 75( off my Pz IV), Sig 33, Russian modified SU-76i, and Japanese type 97 Shinhoto Chi Ha. The Ostketten run fine, flame gun works great and all are really nice runners. There are Stu conversion kits and correct guns. All my Pz III's have correct gun sizes and my L has the full crew riding in all the turret hatches. There is a really neat early Ausf. E/F kit from Tank Zone which I haven't gotten into. The Pz III is a modellers paradise and from what I see, the Pz IV is getting to be the same with more kits and add ons available. Only change I made to my one Pz IV is to add the Pz H long 75mm and I put the short howitzer on a Pz III and made my Sturmpanzer ausf N. Some guys beef up the suspension but I haven't had any problems with weak springs etc. Only thing not available is smaller sprockets for Japanese tanks. .From the posts on this forum, the Pz IV is another improvement in HL tanks and appears to be a good one also. Either one is a good choice, but I prefer the Pz III.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:03 AM
rclaw

Seems to me you have already made up your choice on which Panzer you wanted. hint : Panzer 4
Old 02-09-2009, 07:42 AM
blitzkrieg65

Panzer III has all metal suspension available, and even a metal hull if you want one! But you should go with the one you have in mind and have been wanting to model, you can't loose with either!

The Blitz
Old 02-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Panzer 4

Wow! Thanks for the responses.

From whom is the metal lower hull available?

Do you happen to know if there are any aftermarket manufacturers that will be producing more goodies for the Panzer IV?

Lastly, I am looking for a supplier in the US that would sell just the upper hull. THere are some nice items on Asiatam's site, but I get a little nervous about ordering overseas.

I really need to commit the time to making the early P3 suspension parts.....
Old 02-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Panzer 4

I do not mean to keep replying to my own thread, but I think that I can better define some of my original question.

I have drawings, and can infer what the travel would roughly be on the actual road wheels of a Panzer III and IV. I am hoping that someone could measure the road wheel travel on the HL tanks.... maybe even a Tamiya Panzer IV. Hecky dern.. someone may even know the travel on the full scale tanks. I am a little amazed at the wealth of knowledge and data expressed on this site.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Albert IRL

Ive a Panzer3 with metal everything!! Swing arms are a good upgrade, and the tensioner works great. I put stiffer springs in the front and rear roadwheel to help with running.
Ive also got the metal running wheels.......They where expensive, akward to install and dont offer any performance advantages. But if you look closely the tires say "continental" [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
I wouldnt get them again.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:11 PM
swathdiver

My one frustrating experience with the PZIII running gear was running through muddy water. The dirt stopped the inner wheels from moving and that of course looks dumb when you're trying to show off to the little kids! I use RTV to keep the wheels together so I can pull them apart, pull the inner wheel off the axle and clean the dirt and then re-assemble. Do the metal wheels come with bearings? When I look to upgrading that tank, that is something that needs to be addressed.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:47 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

Panzer 4, What city do you reside... I rec'd your PM...

I have several HL PZ III and PZ IVs instock...

We are having our battleday on SUNDAY FEB 15th at 10:30 am..

we meet at www.bomberfieldusa.com

Our permanent battlefield is there...

-CHEERS

TOMAS
TX ARMOR
Old 02-11-2009, 11:54 PM
swathdiver

Dang, wish I could attend! Happy Battling fellas and take lots of pictures!

My best buddy and little brother live on either side of you guys. Trying to schedule a trip out that way to see all of you!
Old 02-12-2009, 12:55 AM
westdr6113

The metal wheels have no bearings, they are the same as the plastic ones in design. They are kinda pricely and true they offer no performance benifits. But I still think they are cool.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:42 AM
Panzer 4

Tomas,

I live in Houston, on the West side. The company I work for has a district in Bryan- some of us run back and forth fairly often during the week.

Thanks for the invitation to the battle day, I will try to stir some interest on the home front for an after church ride out to Bomberfield.

I did not know that you carried the P3 and P4... By any chance, do you stock any upgrade componants?