Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Packing Tanks

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 04:08 PM
JerB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Packing Tanks

Hi Guys

I have a question that I hope somebody might be able to help me with?

My Girlfriend and I purchased are first house back in May and we get the keys on Friday July 17 so we are getting excited ( not too much fun packing though ) we are moving from a apartment and are just about finished packing and have been scratching my head about how to pack my tanks ( I have 12 ) does anybody have any tips on how to pack them aside from putting them in boxes? because I think I could only pack one tank to a box. any tips would be great

Jeremy

PS- I have a big yard now to run my tanks so thats going to be great, maybe rip out the garden and put in a battlefield,lol
Old 07-12-2009, 06:07 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Packing Tanks

I had the same problem with 36 tanks, trying to move them for display. Problem was solved by purchasing some plastic storage bins at Loews and packing the tanks with foam rubber. You have to experiment on positioning and traversing some longer guns (Tiger, Pershing, super pershing etc) to lay them over the deck of the adjacent tank to allow suffficent space. Drill holes in the sides just above the top of the tanks for two wooden dowells on which to support another similar box. Tap holes in the rods for a pin (nail-wire etc) to prevent the dowell from slipping out during travel. With this method, I can transport 4-5 tanks per box and stacking them two high, makes a fairly easy and safe transport to protect the detailing of the tanks. Make diagrams so you you know what tank went next to which and what direction is was positioned. Good luck. I sold off some but still clearing out most of my stock, but the photos show all of my tanks packed are ready to go to Danville. Had some interrior shots but can't locate them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80455.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1234821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27780.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	1234822  
Old 07-12-2009, 06:54 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's why I kept the original boxes.

Of course, mine are all HL; so, I can do that. [8D]
Old 07-12-2009, 08:45 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Original boxes are great, but stack up 36 of them and look at the huge difference in space. I have only 1 Tammy and one built on a Tammy chassis and 2 WSN. Rest are all HL. Packing 10 tanks in a 2.5 x 4 x 2.75 ft space of 2 plastic stowage boxes is a lot easier in traveling as well as unpacking single boxes. If one only has 4-5 tanks, it would work OK.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:07 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have used tool boxes for some of my tanks. I bought a twin size mattress pad at Wal Mart and cut it up for padding. I've seen others use the plastic storage boxes as well. I've also seen many guys just use empty clothes baskets too.

In my experience, it works best to have some padding push down on the tank (usually on top of the turret). Foam rubber on either end, and you're done.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:03 AM
JerB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the tips guys [8D]