Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Best $8 you will ever spend on your Tamiya!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Best $8 you will ever spend on your Tamiya!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 04:17 PM
gorehound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best $8 you will ever spend on your Tamiya!

Hi

I just got my one fitted to my Tam King Tiger and with a bit of fiddling it does work. You really need to experiment with the tank up on blocks so the wheels and tracks can move freely. Major problem I had initally was that the delay on slow down was set too long and I nearly ran the tank off a ledge as it was taking forever to stop[X(]. By tuning it when not on the ground (as I did after my near disaster) you can avoid this sort of problem. I would advise a longer delay on acceleration and shorted on slowing down going be my experimenting with it.

All in all though it is an easy and good mod and well done to monotheist for having the nerve to try it first on a Tam DMD

cheers
Gorehound
Old 08-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Monotheist is da man for showing us this new toy! [sm=thumbs_up.gif] I have a few coming too, one for my Sherman that oughta turn out to be a worthy feature.

- Jeff
Old 08-10-2009, 04:34 AM
Ripperupton

Monotheist, I went back and checked and I corrected a wrong designation on the ole radio gear, so all is good.
This is a very interesting mod, but on a tight battlefield such as what BAT has now basically a mountain village with narrow roads it's going to take some practice because i can see it will be too easy to coast right over the edge or smack into another tank or building. It's going to add another dimension to driving that ought to be a lot of fun. When one thinks about it, a 56 ton Tiger isn't going to be able to stop on a dime like our models so the programmed take off and slow-down is believable. The top speed of my Tiger I is only 17 mph but unless i am very gentle on the stick it will still sort of jump, so now the start up and roll to a stop is nice and graduated. Where I didn't take Gorehound's advice was with my Hellcat. I tested it on the floor. Oops! It will do 50 mph scale speed, as is correct, but I didn't count on how long it would take for a tank destroyer going that speed to come to a stop. 6 feet! It jammed itself under the furniture and put itself out of commission since I couldn't control it. Needless to say I have some adjusting to do to the pots but I don't know if I can do without quick braking in combat around town! The M-18 is over 8 lbs and does twice the speed of any WW II configured Tamiya so that is a lot of mass to control it may not be feasible to use this Turnigy in it, but I've just started playing with it. One thing is for sure, when you have such speed you can change firing positions in a hurry and get the drop on a big cat providing your driving skills are up to it, that is. And often mine aren't. But the authenticity of that darting about is dubious as we all know, so I am counting on this regulator to tame the beast as I don't like the neck-snapping take-offs and stops I make it do in a panic while in a fight and just want to get out of the line of fire, etc. Because is is so heavy with a lot of wheel travel it really rears up when punched and pitches forward as it skids to a stop just as a real tank would, but you wouldn't call this a well-behaved tank not yet, anyway. Thanks for the heads-up on this great little gizmo!

Rich
Old 08-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Panther F

Mine arrived just in time for my Sherman electronics install. If it works out okay I may be ordering more.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:59 PM
kclank

i just did three tanks with this mod this morning and i am very happy with the results. very easy to do.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Flyn Chris

Has anyone tried this mod with a HL tank/radio?
Old 01-08-2012, 07:31 AM
briz

Cool !
Old 01-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow great find / idea! It seems to be a nifty little adjustable servo slower, us (former, almost.. :P) airplane guys use it to regulate retractable gear speeds, and the bigger scale guys use 2 to have one gear retract faster/slower than the other, very cool.

I had just mentioned to a club member earlier that you can also use your computer radios Expo (or exponential) function to soften a tanks throttle response, you end up with more gradual acceleration with a linear control increase.

Still, this is a handy gizmo and can do much more
Old 01-08-2012, 10:03 AM
takevin

ORIGINAL: Flyn Chris

Has anyone tried this mod with a HL tank/radio?
Reread the first page.... Or as rivetcounter said "real radios"
Old 09-21-2015, 03:21 AM
muscleflex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribed to this.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:21 AM
muscleflex

got my chips from HK china. Will be installing it on my tiger at some point this week hopefully
Old 09-28-2015, 05:47 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by muscleflex
got my chips from HK china. Will be installing it on my tiger at some point this week hopefully

They are good little devices. Great for nice smooth slow servo elevation as well, although. I think the higher end radios you could program this into the servo
Old 10-07-2015, 04:59 AM
muscleflex

I can't get mine to work on my Tamiya Tiger I
I plug a male to male lead from the receiver into the IN channel of the Turnigy chip.
I plug the DMD plug of the throttle to the Turnigy Chip

I've turned the dials to the extreme but my wheels are not slowing down!
Old 10-07-2015, 05:26 AM
YHR

Check the instructions again. I know every time I go to use one of these I have to reeducate myself on the hook up.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:49 AM
TheBennyB

I know it's adjustable but isn't the idea of the turnigy chip suppose to give momentum, not slow down the drive? I guess your just checking to see if it works with it cranked all the way down?

Last edited by TheBennyB; 10-07-2015 at 05:53 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:42 AM
muscleflex

Originally Posted by YHR
Check the instructions again. I know every time I go to use one of these I have to reeducate myself on the hook up.

Right - I'm very embarrassed to say... it was user error. I thought I had it plugged to my Throttle channel but it was actually plugged into my Aileron channel.
It works fine now!
Just ignore me next time I say it's not working! ;oP
Old 10-09-2015, 03:11 AM
YHR

No Problem we have all been there once or twice.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:48 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

I tried this tonight with my Tamiya E8 conversion using pershing TO/MF. Its a no go. I cannot get the system to release that stupid throttle clutch lock. So, just to try I took it out, turned the tank on and unlocked the clutch, then installed it, worked nice, but still, if I cant get the throttle to start, then what good is it.
Just another reason I don't like the Tamiya electronics....
Old 10-16-2015, 04:56 AM
Panther F

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
I tried this tonight with my Tamiya E8 conversion using pershing TO/MF. Its a no go. I cannot get the system to release that stupid throttle clutch lock. So, just to try I took it out, turned the tank on and unlocked the clutch, then installed it, worked nice, but still, if I cant get the throttle to start, then what good is it.
Just another reason I don't like the Tamiya electronics....

This device was originally intended for use in AIRCRAFT... we just apply it to the throttle side of the radio signal in tanks.

Now I know it has been used with Tamiya KV electronics but most didn't like battling with it, so I know it will work with the Pershing electronics as they basically have the same start up release mechanism.

Jeff
Old 10-16-2015, 02:52 PM
RichJohnson

I turned it down to almost nothing and moved my spektrum digital trim all the way down and still could not release the clutch lock.
I have a ratchet on the throttle on this tank anyway so am am very touchy and slow with the stick movement, kinda like manual momentum, i also set it and put my way along on autopilot sometimes.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:11 PM
thecommander

You will need 125% of trim to take your DMD out of "Park" Rich. It may take a few extra moments to get there/rev-up that far. It may be even more complicated if you are using a computer (not trim tabs) radio. Try it with a simple (AKA KISS) radio (Futaba 4YF or similar) and let me know how you make out. Call me.... you have my number. If you need to borrow a tank radio I will loan you one of my "Freebie Futaba 4YFs". I just got two back from fellow tankers setting up their builds. I think the radio gremlin might be your culprit.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:30 PM
RichJohnson

I thought I would try it, but Im not really all that interested, cause like I said its a ratchet stick Im easy with the movement. It took so long to get it all set up on the spectrum radio, Im not going to even try to change it. Its just going to stay this way. Im happy with it any way. But thanks Bob. This will probably be the last Tamiya system I have, I only have one other stock tamyia Sherman. Im not fond of their systems to make a Sherman. Too intense and costly and I cant use servos. I found I like the BARC4 Battle Armor makes and it has momentum in it.