Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Best $8 you will ever spend on your Tamiya!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Best $8 you will ever spend on your Tamiya!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 12:47 AM
Monotheist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best $8 you will ever spend on your Tamiya!

In the quest for a more realistic driving experience I stumbled across a product that does exactly that. Its basically a servo rate reduction unit with a slight twist. This unit has independently adjustable rates for up and down travel or in other words adjustable acceleration and deceleration rates! What this does is give the model a real sense of vehicle mass and weight so instead of taking off like a dragster if you nail the throttle it will slowly gain momentum until it reaches full speed (adjustable to your liking) Same thing when you release the trigger. Instead of it stopping dead in its tracks it now gradually rolls to a halt (again adjustable to your liking)

Sounds pretty basic but WOW does it change the models behavior. This is perhaps the best upgrade I have yet done to my Sherman and is definitely the cheapest mod I have done to date.

Here's the link to the product. In case its not working its called "Turnigy 3 Channel Servo Speed Regulator" so do a search.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=8863

To hook it up you will need an additional male to male servo cable but basically the input connects to the throttle on the receiver and Output1 connects to your speed control. Its then just a case of adjusting SW1 pot go give the desired acceleration characteristics and SW2 for the desired deceleration characteristics (interestingly adjusting SW3 reverses the direction of the throttle channel but is not used)
Old 07-26-2009, 05:16 AM
Wight

Default RE: Best $8 you will ever spend on your Tamiya!

This really looks quite interesting,and should give you more of a chance of not losing your tank off the table!
I'm assuming this works ok with the Tamiya dmd unit?
Old 07-26-2009, 05:49 AM
thomasjohnmurphy

is this something that could be used in a Heng Long tank application? And if so any idea of how it would be connected to the RX board? Thanks
Old 07-26-2009, 07:11 AM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe that this is for use with real radio equipment as opposed to the Heng Long type
Old 07-26-2009, 09:45 AM
TexasSP

Yeah, because since us HL users only have fake radios it's damn amazing we ever get them to run!

It would work with the HL's fine with aftermarket electronics and could probably still be modified to work with the RX18. Since the El Mod electronics allow the use of aftermarket radios it would be no issue to use with that.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:18 AM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like it is independent of the controller (or the handset part). Sounds like it would have to go somewhere between the TX board (small board the antenna goes to) and the RX board (larger circuit board). Maybe one of the electronics gurus can probably tell us if it would work.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:47 AM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

Monotheist did you hook this up to your Shermans DMD Unit or to a speed controller in a older Sherman setup .

Jimmy
Old 07-26-2009, 05:27 PM
Monotheist

Yes it is hooked up to the DMD unit. Basically this would work in any model where using a standard receiver and speed control/DMD unit. You could also probably get it to work in HL tanks but as I have no experience with them cannot say for sure.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:36 PM
gorehound

Hi

I wondered about these things when I saw one fitted to my friends aircraft undercarraige but did not want to risk my Tam DMD units with it. I have now ordered a couple so thanks very much for this tip.

cheers
Gorehound
Old 07-26-2009, 07:07 PM
darkith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't be able to use one of these with the stock Heng Long setup. These "servo slowers" manipulate a "hobbygrade" servo signal (1-2ms pulse @ 50hz). Heng Long radios don't send or receive signals in this format.

If you have upgraded a Heng Long tank with a DBC-RC2HL or Elmod setup, you could insert one of these between the the RX and DBC/Elmod. But, these units already have momentum/intertia features.

D.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:28 PM
Monotheist

Heres a pic of it hooked up. As you can see instead of using a male to male adapter I soldered a lead directly to the unit. Another advantage of these is they will help protect the gearbox from any sudden speed/direction change for example when you give the controller to a newbie and they go full speed and slam it in reverse. With the unit installed doing the same thing the tank will roll to a stop then slowly ramp up speed in reverse...

Old 07-26-2009, 07:44 PM
RSEA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Monotheist - Is your Sherman running stock gearboxes or do you have 3:1 reduction gearboxes installed? Looks like this device may work well with the KV-1 and the other Tamiya tanks too.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:18 PM
Monotheist

Im running modified Impact 3:1 gearbox's
Old 07-26-2009, 11:56 PM
bowlman

I ordered 2 this afternoon just in case if not the tanks then in other rc stuff .

good to know you can use it on the DMD unit .

Thanks
Jimmy
Old 07-27-2009, 12:18 AM
YHR

A nice find for Tamiya tankers. This feature was the hidden gem in Darkiths DBC for Heng long tanks.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:40 AM
philipat

ORIGINAL: darkith

You won't be able to use one of these with the stock Heng Long setup. These ''servo slowers'' manipulate a ''hobbygrade'' servo signal (1-2ms pulse @ 50hz). Heng Long radios don't send or receive signals in this format.

D.
That's too bad.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:58 AM
ManMachine

So with this little item I hook it up with the DMD in my KT and regulate turret traverse motor and gun elevation motor?

Many thanks,
Gabriel
Old 07-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Monotheist

ORIGINAL: ManMachine

So with this little item I hook it up with the DMD in my KT and regulate turret traverse motor and gun elevation motor?

Many thanks,
Gabriel
Yes I suppose but remember this device doesn't limit the speed/travel of a servo or motor it only makes it take longer to get to get to full power.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:39 PM
bowlman

Still a good ideal makes it run like it has to pickup in speed or slow down like a real tank .

Jimmy
Old 07-27-2009, 11:26 PM
TexasSP

ORIGINAL: Monotheist

ORIGINAL: ManMachine

Many thanks,
Gabriel
Yes I suppose but remember this device doesn't limit the speed/travel of a servo or motor it only makes it take longer to get to get to full power.
Easiest way to limit turret speed rotation and gun elevation would be a simple resistor.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:16 AM
ManMachine

TexasSP: What size of resistor should i pick? Sorry for off-topic!

Gabriel
Old 07-28-2009, 05:50 PM
TexasSP

You will need to find out the voltage to the turret motor and gun elevation motor. Then you will need some assistance with someone knowledgeable in circuits to help you chooose the right resistor for the job. It's been too long since I used that information and I always ask when I am choosing mine. Any decent electronic parts place on the web can help you.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:09 PM
YHR

20 ohm with a good wattage rating would be required.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Ripperupton

Monotheist,

I guess I am unclear on the instructions as I am not getting the expected effects. I think I did what you said to do: Using the cable mentioned I took the throttle signal from the Rx and plugged it into the spot labeled "in" on the Turnigy regulator. The signal from "SW1" on the regulator goes to the DMD. That's all I've done except set the pots as per the manual to "slowest". There is no change in speed behavior but now I am unable to turn. So I am a little mystified. BTW, with my Spektrum DX6 I mix my throttle and rudder on one stick like we all do out here.

A second unit behaves the same way. Any advice would be appreciated.
thanks,

Rich
Old 08-09-2009, 04:01 AM
Monotheist

Hey Rich, lets double check everything. The throttle cable from the receiver should connect to the "in" channel which is on the top row of pins on the RHS. The DMD throttle cable then connects to "CH1" which is on the top row of pins on the LHS. You then control the acceleration rate using the "SW1" pot and deceleration using the "SW2" pot. The writing is tiny so you might need a magnifying glass to read.

BTW the bottom row of pins are not used at all so nothing should be connected to them.

Im using a DX6i but using the traditional left stick throttle right stick turn but that shouldn't make any diff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.