Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Like New PH&L anzerkampfwagen III Ausf.L SD.KFZ.141/1

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Like New PH&L anzerkampfwagen III Ausf.L SD.KFZ.141/1

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 04:36 PM
AClay47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Like New PH&L anzerkampfwagen III Ausf.L SD.KFZ.141/1

Its not a new topic of interest like the H&L Sherman. It's not even new! But I'm lucky to have it.

Today, I received a "like-new" S&S Heng Long Panzerkampfwagen III Ausf.l.sd.kfz.141/1. I bought it for $25.00 online. It came in the original packaging with all accessories, including the smoke oil, unopened. I was probably the beneficiary of a great gift to someone who got it, but had no interest in it. I've received cool gifts, which didn't interest me, too. I got a great deal with this tank.

I'm amazed at how real the tank looks! I own two H&L Tiger I s and one S&S Pershing. They are nice, but this tank has no toy-like appearance to it. The yellow color does not have a plastic appearance. The thing looks like it just left the Porche showroom, and it has just a hint of weathering.

Has anyone else noticed how mean the German tanks look? Their mere appearance is scary! By comparison, the Sherman looks like a Bubble Boy! The T-34 looks like a shopping cart! Maybe, Germans are simply scary people. Hitler was scary looking! No, wait, he was Austrian! Dracula was scary? No, he was Romanian. Was Frankenstein German? He'd fit well into a black death's-head uniform. THAT would be scary!

Anyways, I'm charging the battery now. I hope to see how well it drives soon. Right now, its resting on my cradenza and looks like a well finished model. I'm tempted to leave it there, charged and loaded, if needed.

Pope Benedict XVI is German. Is that scary? AND - He took a Polish Pope's spot! Sounds like an old story??

If you have a chance, check out the Heng Long Panzerkampfwagen III Ausf.l.sd.kfz.141/1. It is scary looking in a very nice way!
Old 11-03-2009, 04:48 PM
NWarty

Default RE: Like New PH&L anzerkampfwagen III Ausf.L SD.KFZ.141/1

ORIGINAL: AClay47

Has anyone else noticed how mean the German tanks look? Their mere appearance is scary! By comparison, the Sherman looks like a Bubble Boy! The T-34 looks like a shopping cart! Maybe, Germans are simply scary people. Hitler was scary looking! No, wait, he was Austrian! Dracula was scary? No, he was Romanian. Was Frankenstein German? He'd fit well into a black death's-head uniform. THAT would be scary!
LOL!!![sm=lol.gif]

Yeah, I guess the German stuff always screamed "I'm gonna kick your arse!"
Old 11-03-2009, 04:51 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

"He who has not fought the Germans does not know war". History 101. Who made that statement?
Old 11-03-2009, 04:57 PM
pcomm1

40 plus years later, I learned that info in the same college PolySci classes Richard Nixon took, "It was a WWII American Vet who brought back a pretty German girl as his WIFE. LOL.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:58 PM
AClay47

That's funny!

I got another German Tank, a green Panzer III and I have two others on the way: a super version Panzer, and a regular Panzer. Can't help it, but its hard to pass up good deals. I splurged on the Super Version Panzer.

I've had track problems with my Tigers. They have these great wide tracks, which look great, and their suspensions arerealistic! But - both my Tigers have had a track go off. One broke a sprocket wheel, which I'm replacing with metal ones on both my Tiger I s .

My Snow Leopard's cannon does not shoot soft pellets. They just roll out, or bunt out. No power behind their shots, though you can hear the gun working. It looks like I'm going to proceed to Stage II of the hobby - repairing tanks. It's something that can't be avoided.

Here is something I like about 1:16 scale tanks. They are actually proportionate. I marvel at how much smaller the Panzer IIIs were than the Tiger, and were much smaller than the Pershing. Although the Pershing was our biggest bad boy tank, it paled in comparison with the Tigers. No wonder they downgraded it as a "Medium Tank" later. Can't wait to see how a Sherman compares.

Got to get back to my toys.

Beware of Germans! My living room is beginning to look like 1940 Ukarine!

Old 11-05-2009, 07:39 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds nice. I like that tank alot, too. Where are you finding these deals?
Old 11-06-2009, 12:00 AM
AClay47

About the S&S Panzer III, it looks more realistic than the gray version. One reason is it was painted. The tank has a yellow coat over the gray color of the regular tank. There is even a bit of weathering on it. It is probably the best finished HL Tank I have yet axquired. In the next phase of my hobby, I will probably paint and weather a tank or two. I've seen some incredible work on the internet.

Deals? I found the Panther III on eBay! You can always find a good deal there for something! Amazon is another place to look. I may not have got such a good deal on this great looking desert yellow Panzer III. It has a problem? I fired her up today and found that the controller does not work properly! To drive the tank forward, you have to turn the stick hard right! Maybe, its been smoking too much exhaust oil? The tank is set up for smoke and sound, but no sound! My guess is the controller is screwy! I'll try switdhing crystals from teh Panther to my Snow Leopard controller, which works fine. A new controller wouls cost $22 from RCCommand.

I found my other Panther III by doing an online search. I found a seller of RC toys which had only two RC tanks, but tons of planes, etc. The price was right, so I bought one o0f his 2 remaining tanks. I figure he was getting out of the tank business. This is not a bank-busting hobby! This Panzer III works fine.

I have also checked out the classifieds for this forum. You can find some deals there. The secret is to be patient, watch, and wait for the deal to come to you.

Alas, my wife's dog is winning the Tiger Tank battle 2-0. Another Tiger lost a track chasing him. I have one waiting for a new apeoxkwt wheel! Anyways, I've learned to fix treads. Metal sprocket wheels will be a big improvement. Tiger treads may be more easily jammed, because they are wide. I haven't had similar problems with my Snow Leopard, and I'm going to try the gray Panzer III tomorrow.

More adults should play with toys! These are great!

Old 11-08-2009, 09:31 PM
AClay47

Lost a tread on the Panzer III yesterday. That surprised me, because they aren't as wide as those of the Tigers. I put the track back on, no big deal. Don't understand why the Snow Leopard hasn't lost a tread, yet. Crabgrass never took out a Tiger in WW2, did it?

I was impressed by the Panzer III's speed! Faster than the larger Pershing and Tigers. Had a good time. Cannon shot well.

Coming this week is an HL S&S Panther, followed by a Super Series Panther from RC Command. Waiting to see what metal wheels, gears, etc. will do outside.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:49 PM
yellowshaker

Nice! I just finished installed the metal upgrades to my Tiger today.What a difference in the torque with the gear reduction. I have pics posted in my thread about the mods. You're right, this hobby rocks. i am now officially addicted to tanks and need another one desperatley. maybe a 1/8 scale?? Damn it I need a better paying job.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:31 PM
AClay47

What's your thread? I'd like to see it.

Thanks!

Clay
Old 11-08-2009, 10:42 PM
yellowshaker

First time modding tanks
Old 11-09-2009, 07:47 PM
AClay47

Nice!
you are at an important road of the hobby. I read the advice given you. Change the gun barrell, weather the treads, paint the tank. Some would even suggest cammo schemes which would mirror different times of the War. I say watch out, or your hobby will become a job! I think you've done great! You're way ahead of me. The thing is I still realize these things are toys, no matter how they are painted, or modified. They are excellent models/replicas of beasts from another time and day. Still, I use mine to chase my wife's dog, and the canine gets a thrill from it, too.l
Weather your tank? My Tiger got weathered by driving it in the elements. I read in one post on weathering about how the guy added mud to his paint to make the appearance realistic. Why not skip the paint mixture, and use mud, dirt, and dust?
I hope to begin painting one or more models, but more for my own curiosity than anything else. I've bought an airbrush and numerous acrylic paints. Read numerous web pages and looked at magazines. One writer advised to paint the thing anyway YOU want. I thought that was good advice. After all, you can always paint it again! Hey, if the Red Baron had a tank, he would have painted the thing red! Maybe, it would look interesting with a Tiger/Shark face painted on it, like the P-40 Tomahawks in China? Whatever you do, keep it fun!
Great job, yellowshaker! Keep it up!
Old 11-10-2009, 01:32 PM
dash69

" S&S Heng Long Panzerkampfwagen III
I also have the Pershing. Both have the 3 to 1 reduction gears in them and both have the metal tracks. I painted the Pershing to a black looking beast. I think it is time to go back to original color and start over. I have the grey Panzer III but I like the desert version better. I will get an airbrush and try that. Never have used one before. I will post results if sucessful.
Be well all
David