Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Need your help, Spektrum Dx6i and Taimya DMD

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Need your help, Spektrum Dx6i and Taimya DMD

Old 11-30-2009, 01:49 PM
Flyn Chris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need your help, Spektrum Dx6i and Taimya DMD

Well here I sit without a working tank, I ordered a receiver battery, switch harness and servo to test out my radio to make sure that is not the problem. The radio tested out okay and the servo worked in all channels. I fired off a email to Tamiya USA and their reply is:

Dear Tamiya Customer,

More than likely the radio system is the problem, we could not get our DMD tanks or semi trucks to work correctly with Spektrum radios. Furthermore, at the RCX trade show, we asked the Spektrum techs about the problems and they could not give us an answer. Now we're not radio techs at Tamiya America, but we suspect it's the digital controls and trims are the problem, the link below is the radio system (surface frequencies) we use in all our DMD control vehicles.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXEFJ4**&P=SM

Tamiya America
Customer Service

So I guess I'm out $290 and have to go out and but another radio. This is all rather frustrating and getting pretty expensive.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:40 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use a DX6i with my Tamiya Sherman so it should work?????.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:37 AM
RSEA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A large percentage of the DAK club members here in Phoenix use Spektrum radios with their Tamiya tanks. I even got my Polk Tracker III 8-channel transmitter (an odd 75Mhz digital radio usually used for submarines, which is why I have one) to successfully control several Tamiya Shermans. I did have to adjust some of the digital control settings in the radio's computer to get it to work correctly. But after that was done the tanks ran fine.

Tamiya may have said one thing, but I have seen these tanks controlled with my own eyes using Spektrum radios, so it definitely should work.. Do you have anyone local in your area that has a ground radio that could be tested with your tank (like a 75Mhz Futaba 4-channel radio which Tamiya gave you a link for)? If two different radio rigs fail to run the tank then I'd think the DMD must have a problem. Your Spektrum radio is better than the Futaba they suggest, so I wouldn't be too quick to dump your Spektrum. I went through similar crap with my Tracker radio after I first got it (including shipping the whole thing to the manufacturer once, then the receiver a second time), but in the end got it working.

I'm sure DAK guys like Jeff, StreetSquid and EDoubleAZ Ethan may be able to help you figure this out since those guys all run Spektrums with their tanks. Like you said though, expensive is right, that is why I have yet to officially participate in this hobby by getting a tank of my own.

Good luck with the KV-2! If all else fails you can use a few Russian Anti-Tank Dogs instead..
Old 12-01-2009, 02:35 AM
pcomm1

Contact DAK and visit here: http://web.mac.com/ethandunsford/DAK2/Radio_Room.html

Relative to rc tanks, Tamiya USA is really only helpful for stocking and packaging tank spare parts for UPS delivery.

Virtually everyone at SCAT uses your radio or the earlier version to run their rc tanks, just do some more reseach.

Also use the forum search function here for your radio and you will find all types of tips to set it up to run your Tamiya tank.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:21 AM
Flyn Chris

Thanks guys for your supportive words, yeah Jeff from DAK graciously offered his assistance. Tamiya did agree to test the unit out so I’m sending off to them before continuing. I’ll keep everyone updated on the progress. I’m very anxious to get the beast operating, from the little I’ve gotten so far has put a huge smile on my face.

Due to the barrel’s diameter, would it be a good idea to put the emitter in there along with the flash and if so which should be where in relation to each other. I would like to set this tank up standard battle rules so if I ever get a chance to travel to a club battle, I’ll have a tank set up. I’m thinking a heavy tank with a short barrel should be good in a crowed battle field.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:36 PM
Flyn Chris

ORIGINAL: Pzjgr

Ok, all my tanks are set the same, drive on right stick, control turret on left. This is how I set the left stick to fire main gun by throwing the left stick all the way up and machine gun by throwing the left stick down...first make sure that all setting on transmitter are set to default (undo Jeff's settings), then reset DMD and go through setting up the sticks...up/down/left/right. Once that's all done this is how I set mine up, on the transmitter go to your settings screen, then to sub trim, on Thro your going to increase to +55 (roll the roller to the right), once set to +55 with tank on throw the left stick all the way up....it should fire. The machine gun is easy, exit the screen and on the left stick vertical trim set it all the way to the bottom...now when you throw the stick down the machine gun should fire. This is my mickey mouse way but it works.
Alrighty then, after having the KV-2 sitting on the bench for several months I had a free afternoon to work on the radio once more. I tore everything apart reset everything to default and starting over from the beginning.

First up after binding the receiver to the TX, I started with configuring the DMD/MF-6 left stick control turret and Main gun with right stick controlling tank. First I tried Jeff489’s idea with setting the over travel on the DX6i throttle to +125 but slapping the stick or down fired neither the main gun or machine gun. Then I Pzjgr’s idea of setting the sub trim on the trottle to +55, Whoopiee, the main gun fires, with flash and recoil!!! Instead of adjusting the throttle trim all the way down, I just used the engine cut button to fire the hull machine gun.

Next was to get the tank out of neutral, but following the instructions of putting the down trim on the elevator all way down and moving the right stick down and back to neutral and re-centering the trim had no result. So taking a clue from main gun issue, I played around with the sub travel for the elevator, I found that setting the elevator sub trim to -30 worked with the above Tamiya procedure in getting the KV-2 into gear.

Success, I now have an operational tank!!! The brake light worked great at first but after a while it stopped working and I never could get the headlight to work but I’ll save that for some later tinkering, now on to getting the IR working.

I had Phil from RC Tank Wars do a massive upgrade on my HL Tiger 1 which included DBC-DBU IR Tamiya compatible Battle system. Fired up both tanks with them facing each other at about 4’ distance. I fired the MG on Tiger and the KV reacted however firing the MG on the KV had no effect on the Tiger. I originally plugged the IR LED to the CN-2 slot but that didn’t work so I tried the only other free 2-pin slot and that was CN-5 and that had no effect, so I put it back to CN-2 per the Tamiya instructions. I tried firing each tank at itself in the mirror but that had no effect, I wonder if these tanks are set up to ignore there own fire?

Any suggestions???
Old 07-19-2010, 01:12 AM
Pzjgr

In order to test your emitter to make sure it's working: step 1 make sure your emitter is plugged into CN2 (you might have burned it out by plugging it into CN5). Step 2 is getting into test mode...on the DMD there are two switches next to each other, SW1 and SW2, you need to move both switches toward the communication cable connection. Step 3 is to make sure your apple is connected then turn on transmitter and tank. Step 4 is point the tank/emitter toward a white wall fairly close (1-3 feet), when you fire your battle unit receiver should light up. If it doesn't you either don't have the switches in the wrong position, emitter is not connected to CN2, apple is not secure correctly or your emitter/ir led is burned out. Hope this helps.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Flyn Chris

In order to test your emitter to make sure it's working: step 1 make sure your emitter is plugged into CN2 (you might have burned it out by plugging it into CN5). Step 2 is getting into test mode...on the DMD there are two switches next to each other, SW1 and SW2, you need to move both switches toward the communication cable connection. Step 3 is to make sure your apple is connected then turn on transmitter and tank. Step 4 is point the tank/emitter toward a white wall fairly close (1-3 feet), when you fire your battle unit receiver should light up. If it doesn't you either don't have the switches in the wrong position, emitter is not connected to CN2, apple is not secure correctly or your emitter/ir led is burned out. Hope this helps.
Thank you, I'll give that a try tonight, Phil gave a suggestion for the Tiger so I'll look at his idea as well.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:27 PM
BiggTony

Well, I'm glad you've had this problem for me to learn from. I have a Dx6i which I've never used before and I have a feeling I'm going to be scratching my head a lot.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:09 PM
Panther G

i'm not going too bag on any body's choice of radio, but why do you guys use the spectrum's? I can understand wanting more channels but with the 2 Futaba Skysport 2.4's and the 75 MgH. I have i have never had a problem. I never really needed to do much programing. Turn everything on and check function thats it. Now i do add fire control buttons on my radios, which then gives me 6 channels. The mod is so easy I just cant see the need for a more expensive 6 channel computerized radio. Is it just for the model memory? What is the advantage of using a 200.00 dollar radio, when a 99.00 dollar one works very well.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Flyn Chris

That was a big help, Thank you. I did the test and no go, Phil suggested I try videoing the firing as I should see the IR light up, it didn't. So I guess I have to assume I fried the IR LEDwhen I tried it in CN-5[:@]

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement, is this something Karen at the Musem would carry?
Old 07-19-2010, 05:26 PM
BiggTony

Chris,supposedly you can use any IR led and the only variable effects are the field of emittance

Old 07-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Dugster

ORIGINAL: Flyn Chris

That was a big help, Thank you. I did the test and no go, Phil suggested I try videoing the firing as I should see the IR light up, it didn't. So I guess I have to assume I fried the IR LEDwhen I tried it in CN-5[:@]

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement, is this something Karen at the Musem would carry?
Yep, if you ran the IR in CN5 it is fried. Go to Radio Shack and buy a new one. They are the same specs and only cost about $3.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:31 PM
Flyn Chris

ORIGINAL: Panther G

i'm not going too bag on any body's choice of radio, but why do you guys use the spectrum's? I can understand wanting more channels but with the 2 Futaba Skysport 2.4's and the 75 MgH. I have i have never had a problem. I never really needed to do much programing. Turn everything on and check function thats it. Now i do add fire control buttons on my radios, which then gives me 6 channels. The mod is so easy I just cant see the need for a more expensive 6 channel computerized radio. Is it just for the model memory? What is the advantage of using a 200.00 dollar radio, when a 99.00 dollar one works very well.
For me, I picked it because a lot of people seem to be using them, the idea of one radio needed for up to 10 different tanks/planes/cars what have you. It was a pain to set-up and I'm still tinkering with it but the ability to fire either MG or the machine gun with out having to play with the trim tabs is nice and as I'm ham fisted with a soldering pen, it's all done electronically.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Panther G

Witht eh fire buttons i add and alot of people do you dont need to adjust the trim tabs. That is done with wiring the switches too the proper posts on the gimbles. also with the Futaba 2.4 skysport, you can use the same radio with a s many tanks as you want. you just get the appropriate receiver for each tank and bind the transmitter too the receiver. Very esay. One radio and as many receivers as you like. I was just wondering if the spectrum or computor radios actually added some functions that cant be done on the Skysports. I love my 2.4 Futabas. And for 99.00 bucks I just feal that you cant beat that. thats all.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:12 PM
ksoc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just wondering if the spectrum or computor radios actually added some functions that cant be done on the Skysports.
I originally went with Spektrum for the 2.4 GHz. The computer function is helpful. I have started to use servos for my gun elevation (Tamiya) and the computer lets me easily set the amount of travel for the servo. Additionally I was able to program the main gun to fire off and existing switch vs open the radio and soldering in switches.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:10 PM
BiggTony

Plus Greg, the DX6i allows the user to program setting for more than one type of vehicle, should you fly, hover, drive or tread. I got the DX6i because I had the DX5E for my xmods that I used to have. When I read that some people were having problems using the DX5e with tanks, I sold it for the Dx6i that was apparently supposed to be easy to use with tanks......unfortunately I based that off of one or two posts and as my luck would have it, there were people saying the same thing about the Dx6i. I'm not transmitter/receiver witty so I think I'm in for a ride on this one.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:03 AM
Flyn Chris

Hang in there Tony, if I can figure it out so can you
Old 04-01-2011, 09:24 PM
dlobmwm3
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Flyn Chris

WOOHOO! I turned around the plugs so black is away from the rx and white inboard. I was able to bind and then I got engine start up!!!!
The plugs on the DMD and a fin on the white side so after removing them, I figured that portion would go to the outside. There are no polarity markings on the receiver so I had a 50/50 chance on getting it wrong and I did.

Okay before I go any further, I did reset the DMD.
I have Channel 4 (Turret) in rudder, channel 2 (throttle) in elev, channel 1 (rudder) in aleron and channel 3 (main gun) in throttle. I want right stick tank control. When doing the set-up on the DMD, do I follow the instructions exactly, left stick up and down, then left stick left and right, then on the the right stick, or do I do the right stick first because of my layout?

Thank you guys, you sure saved me a lot of headaches in helping me.
HI Flyn Chris. I finally got my Sherman to work based on your instructions!!! Thank you. Does anyone know how I can fix one minor issue? Issue is when I use the right controller to steer, the top right diagonal and bottom right<meta charset="utf-8" />diagonaldrives the tank completely straight vs turning in the respective directions.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:54 PM
2Shots

Just don't reply if you have nothing worth to say.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:10 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

... :P