Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

black powder

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Darksheer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: black powder

ORIGINAL: Dmon1996

ORIGINAL: sevoblast

I agree, Googly. And I think I recognize the grammar too. The real test of a member of the tooth as opposed to the tail is field strip an AK for me.
OK, dleighty1, I noticed you did not give me the unit you served with. Now, here's a question or two. 12 years in arty, so who was your shirt? Who was your CO? What is a red leg? What is a pig? And what unit did you serve with? Real quick, now, this is a pop quiz.
Just curious is all. I'm kinda like googly..too many lads running around saying they served, and can't describe an AR or M16, and don't know how to release the mag from an AK or HK. You answer those questions for me, now there's a good lad, and then I'll tell you the trick I use when in USA for them's that is braggin' in bars.
And brush up on your grammar. This 18 and 19 year old foolishness of ''computer English'' don't cut it in the real world.

Gee, golly....I guess you caught me, too. I can't do any of that stuff....oh, wait! I was in the Canadian Armed Forces! I used an FN-C1 (which has 88 different places to open a beer bottle) and an FN-C2 (which has 117 places to open a beer bottle), we had deuce-and-a-halfs (or deuces for short), and our rounds were Nato standard 7.62's instead of that wimpy US 5.56 crap (sorry, but it's true!). I've got 3 years as a CAF certified Cadet Instructor and have graduated then taught SLC the cadet course based on the CAF OCTP course, 3 years of Reserves with 735 Comm Regt where all the officers bear-walked and my TQ1a was teletype. I did my BMT/GMT training with Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders at Minto Armories in Winnipeg, where I in secret taught the corporals how to teach us basic drill (since I was NCO-IC Drill, Drill Team, Color Party, Leadership, and Instructional Techniques in my cadet squadron at the same time). My winter indocterenation was during the coldest spell of the winter, where we had to hunker down in snow banks in ''high'''s of -40. I also had to do the six-minute mile in full combats with my FN-C1 and a full 75lb pack. I also sent and received Morse at 40wpm cypher (not plain language) and in the civvie side I got my RGMC (Radio General Marine Certificate), the only radio license you can get in Canada that is recognized world-wide. I gave up my reserve commission to join the Reg Forces in Artillery and unfortunately was out a few weeks later due to a medical
discharge. However; due to my work both with Air Cadets and working in Reserves, I am considered a veteran and have a membership to the Canadian Legions to prove it.

I also wear red on Fridays for ALL of our troops overseas, and I am currently still wearing my poppy.... so, do I pass?

But you are right- give an idiot a computer and an internet connection, and he is instantly an ''expert'' in any field he wants to be.....until someone like you calls him up on it. Not that I'm calling anyone on this forum an idiot- I am talking in generalities....
i call shennanigans on you dmon
the fn has 86 places to open a beer
it also doubles as a tire iron and medievil torture device which you omitted
no one in 735 can march they flounder about then trip over the land line they are trying to lay

most "military experts" play way too many video games and watch the military channel for thier expert opinions
but seriously so many people here and on other forums claim to have served but alot of them balk when called on it or suddenly change thier tune when asked basic things any member of any military will know
and at the opposite end some people make the mistake of calling people out who have served and usually end up getting spanked for it which leads to hilarious reading can you imagine someone calling out pattoncommander ??? i would seriously screen shot of something like that and frame it

i can also strip a FN even tho i havent touched on in almost 20 years
some things you never forget

Old 12-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Puff The Magic Dragon
My Feedback: (2)

Be carefull with the ATF. My Dad invented the Powerhead, you know the Shark Bang Stick. I was invented at the Wee Dive Shop, in Key Largo in the 60'S. The ATF was always giving my Dad suprise inspections. With todays climate, they might mistake you for Terrorist.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:56 PM
CapMan
My Feedback: (219)

I would suggest using Pyrodex in place of black powder. Has the same slow burn, lots of smoke without the instability or dirtiness of black powder.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:29 PM
googlydoogly

ORIGINAL: BIGMIG

Some of these posts ''crack me up''......................This is a hobby forum for christ sake,not an english class. I too have bad grammer and my spelling is not the best,but does that really matter here on a forum where we are talking about and playing with toys.[:-][:-][:-]
While I do not expect perfect spelling or grammar on an internet forum, it would be nice to *read* something that I do not have to decipher exactly what the heck they are trying to say. Silly mistakes like mistaking "which" for "witch" is just that. Silly. And to excuse that is well, silly.

We have to remember we have members from around the world and from all walks of life here.I take my hat off to those who post here where they are from a non english speaking country and yet still post here showing their work and doing a pretty good job with their writing in english.I know I could not do the same trying to write anything in their native tongue.Even here in the USA there is big difference in how english is used and pronounced depending on what part of this country you live in.
Yeah WV might be far away from the west coast, but I do believe they still teach English there.

We have many,many,many thousands of men here in the USA who are ex-military and active military from all branches of service and most all would have stories to tell of one sort or other.For me I was in the Navy and aboard three different ships over a four year period and was a member of a deck gun crew on all three ships.There are thousands of ex-navy men who were in deck gun crews,they are just not posting here on this hobby forum.I would not even be able to guess how many men have been involved in firing a howwitzer of one size or class of one sort.Does it realy matter that much other than just being used in a general conversation
or telling a story here.[:-][:-]
That's the main reason why as a society, we shouldn't coddle people who appears to be lying about serving their country. I do believe that's a crime, and rightly so.

The question was how to fire a black powder charge using a simple sparking device.I had posted a simular post way back when I first became a member here.I had also pondered the idea of using a small black powder charge to simulate the cannon fire and to get a nice sound out of it.I would also caution one doing this for several reasons..................This is a different world we live in today and depending on where you live you could find yourself being arrested and in a real can of worms.And yes Black powder can be very dangerouse to play around with if you don't know what you are doing.Static electricity in itself can set it off,it is not to be taken lightly when handling this type powder.Doing this can be done but with the limited ammount of room in a toy tank and the fact of all the trouble to build what is needed to do the job in this small tank and then what is involved to reload for the next shot in my opinion would be more trouble than it's worth.

Also being an open forum where kids have access to this I would be reluctant to post a how to .............detail here.
You should be reluctant, because you might be giving instructions for an illegal activity. Maybe you should check to see whether making a working firearm is legal in their area, before you start giving instructions how to make one. What's next, you're gonna give instructions to someone asking how to make explosives so they could blow up their "tanks"?

Old 12-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I just knew a post with the title "black powder" wasn't going to be good. And that is coming from me who served in the military since the American Revolution, although I am retired now

Cheers,
Wade
Old 12-16-2009, 08:58 PM
greg d
My Feedback: (34)

Ok maybe I ve been watching to much world news but Isnt this question best off not discussed here!
Old 12-16-2009, 09:16 PM
dleighty1

wow theres a lot of *******s here.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bz78830.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	516.0 KB
ID:	1335930  
Old 12-16-2009, 09:49 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually there are alot of good people here. Many of them are military or retired military and they are right about guys on the net who claim to have served or claim to know this and that, but are only looking for information...perhaps illegal information. Maybe you're telling the truth about your backround, maybe not. I don't care. But there is nothing wrong with these proud men trying to make sure dangerous information does not fall into the hands of some delusional fool looking to do bad things. Please have some respect for these men and they will respect you in return. No need to call them names for trying to do the right thing. That does not make a person an a-hole...it makes the rare. Respect that.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Dmon1996

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Darksheer

i call shennanigans on you dmon
the fn has 86 places to open a beer
it also doubles as a tire iron and medievil torture device which you omitted
no one in 735 can march they flounder about then trip over the land line they are trying to lay

i can also strip a FN even tho i havent touched on in almost 20 years
some things you never forget
Was it only 86 places? It was about 25 years ago for me....I could be off. And as for field-stripping the FN-C1.....ah, good times. I was one of the ones pushing to buy my C1 when the "experts"decided we were changing over to the Mattel Toys Special (the American M16). I do remember quite well stripping and scrubbing all the oil off the Sterling SMG's and coating all the moving parts in graphite for winter indoc. Shooting it in -40 was hilarious- ca...CHUNK! ca...CHUNK! ca...CHUNK! I swear, if we actually got 60 rounds a minute I'd be surprised. To be honest, I was more interested in communication than Artillery at that time and definitely more interested in the air element of the CAF. But at that time, you took what you got and it still took almost 2 years to be accepted into Artillery. I figured that rad-op was rad-op. To be honest, I've forgotten more than I still remember. As for 735's drill proficiency....at that time, I dragged a bunch of my Air Cadet buddies down to enlist and we kept the rest looking ok on the drill square. Since my buddies were all under me in RCAC, they had to do their best or I'd have them doing extra drill back at the cadet level. And my cadets were perfect! We gave the regs a run for their money, and reserves....well, you can only expect so much out of weekend warriors.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:20 PM
rednekk58

how about just a percussion cap or #209 primer. no powder. you'll still get a report similar to a firecracker.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:45 PM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rednekk58

how about just a percussion cap or #209 primer. no powder. you'll still get a report similar to a firecracker.
That is an easy way to do it with pretty good affect.A gun tube tapped on one end to accept a percussion cap nipple and a simple spring loaded hammer with a trip pin.The 1/6 scale stuart is a perfect tank for this as there is lots of room in the turret along with the two big hatch covers that open for easy access.But here again this may be illegal in most places.????? If you live out in the country or the boonies,no one would probbly know or care.In a town or city this would be a whole different story.Percussion caps have a pretty good report to them and a reload would be a piece of cake,just re-cock the hammer and put on another cap and ready to fire again.

BIGMIG

P.S. Another note of "CAUTION" here to think about.As most of us know when you are using something that will be fired with a remote control radio that sometimes this radios and receivers have a mind of their own and sometimes unexpected things happen.These tanks will at times start doing crazy things on there own and the only way to stop them is grabb on to them and turn the power switch off-I have had this happen a couple of times and was never able to figure out why they did this.Also some turns on a radio with the same frequancy and strange things can happen[:-][:-][:-][:-][:-] Be carefull
Old 12-17-2009, 12:07 AM
Dmon1996

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: BIGMIG

ORIGINAL: rednekk58

That is an easy way to do it with pretty good affect.A gun tube tapped on one end to accept a percussion cap nipple and a simple spring loaded hammer with a trip pin.The 1/6 scale stuart is a perfect tank for this as there is lots of room in the turret along with the two big hatch covers that open for easy access.But here again this may be illegal in most places.????? If you live out in the country or the boonies,no one would probbly know or care.In a town or city this would be a whole different story.Percussion caps have a pretty good report to them and a reload would be a piece of cake,just re-cock the hammer and put on another cap and ready to fire again.

BIGMIG

P.S. Another note of ''CAUTION'' here to think about.As most of us know when you are using something that will be fired with a remote control radio that sometimes this radios and receivers have a mind of their own and sometimes unexpected things happen.These tanks will at times start doing crazy things on there own and the only way to stop them is grabb on to them and turn the power switch off-I have had this happen a couple of times and was never able to figure out why they did this.Also some turns on a radio with the same frequancy and strange things can happen[:-][:-][:-][:-][:-] Be carefull
Yup, definitely use caution. Remember that show in the '80's? Coverup, I think it was called.... the star blew his brains out by horsing around with a stunt gun loaded with blanks. He "shot" himself in the head and found out that big noise has big push- right thru his skull. Sort of killed that series right along with him.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:17 AM
Skyflyer
My Feedback: (122)

[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]If you like the smell of black powder then I'd suggest joining a Civil War reenactment group. I've competed with black powder since 1965 and have seen what can happen when misguided people treated this Class A explosive as a toy.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:26 AM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

ORIGINAL: dleighty1

i would like to make a new barrel that will shoot black powder but need a way to
remote fire ,. was thinking to have it somewhat like my flint lock but i need to make
a spark, is there something i could get to make this spark with the remote. i am new
with this remote thing so i dont know all the different remote stuff that could be used to
do this .
GO MOUNTAINEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I grew up a few miles due west of you in New Martinsville.

If you really want to go that way, its pretty simple to do. A buddy of mine builds Civil War ironclads equipped with black powder cannon that use either a model rocket igniter or glow plug for ignition. You can read all about how he does it by downloading his book Modeling Civil War Ironclad Ships. You'll find everything you need to build a working system in Chapter 8 Cannons & Fire Control.

http://walternelson.com/ironclads.pdf

As you're aware, the problem you have with this system is having to reload after each shot so its not too effective. I'm working on a talcum powder cannon for my monitor but I doubt you have the space for this.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:33 AM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

As others have said, just be careful where you go with this. You don't want to end up like these guys.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66231.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1336108  
Old 12-17-2009, 01:07 AM
dyeager535
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: googlydoogly

You should be reluctant, because you might be giving instructions for an illegal activity. Maybe you should check to see whether making a working firearm is legal in their area, before you start giving instructions how to make one. What's next, you're gonna give instructions to someone asking how to make explosives so they could blow up their ''tanks''?

Whoa. Think twice before calling what is being proposed a "firearm". Many areas understand the difference between a cannon for sound/show and an actual firearm, and spell it out, as it should be. Not an excuse to not research/ignore local ordinances however.

Some localities call air rifles "firearms" for the purpose of law enforcement, it doesn't mean they are correct...but it does mean you can get in trouble for discharging one in the city limits.

This of course, assumes the intention is for smoke/sound, and not projectiles.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:57 AM
lez1troubles

and heres me thinking the deuce and half is actually a 12.7mm(.50cal)??? at least it was when I was with the Army(British), dont laugh.
As for using black powder,crazzzzy or what.Why dont you just use blanks???it would be much safer for you and the people around you.
What are you planning on doing with a radio controled tank firing live rounds??? would you really know where your rounds are going and what is behind your target????Just seems a bit silly to make a hobby grade tank so darn dangerous.Radio controled bank robber???[>:]
Old 12-17-2009, 06:48 AM
dleighty1

first off i posted my id card as proof of service i know its not a good pic sorry .,
i was in the 201F/A from 1979 to 1991, was called out to serve in desert storm.
i did serve sorry if you cant believe that. No i cant spell that great sorry , if spelling
is that important to this forum im in the wrong place, with all the personal attacks
in this forum, i don't think i want to be apart of and there are a lot of others to go to .
I claim to be an expert at nothing ever!. if i was i would not of asked in the first place.
i was not planning to shoot this tank with a ball in it ,just a small amount of powder
to make a small bang and some smoke . i do shoot a flint lock so i have used it and
have 1 can 4f 1can 3f , but i still don't claim to be an expert . i asked 1 question here
how to remote fire and got some good answers but most post were from azz holes
wanting to flame someone . thank you too the ones that gave good advice to the
question .
Old 12-17-2009, 07:00 AM
lez1troubles

Yo dlieghty1, Dont take offence from the small children around on this sight, there are alot of a-holes reading and trying to answer questions they know nothing of. It's just a matter of crossing out the bad ones and keeping up with the good, you should know that.
Did you bring back any sand from Desert Storm??? I was in Hillal and Basra with the british army 3rd Royal Tank Regiment. Nice to meet you, even if it is only on the internet. by the way, if you want some sand I've still got a bit.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:07 AM
killick64

Maybe just another case of a simple "Failure to Communicate"? Unfortunate, but it happens...

As for myself, I'm 2 generations of MilSpeak behind everyone else, and would be totally lost aboard one of our shiny new City Class Frigates: I'd probably blunder into a Bear Trap while looking for the Gas Citadel, or just a hard copy of the QR and AI. The "propellant" in all our Munitions back then was simply called "cordite" and stunk like a sour penny (which the WRENS ashore were all too fond of pointing out).

I'm looking forward to 2010 when Canada's Navy marks 100 years of being "Ready Aye Ready", and the 40,000th instance of some poor junior AB getting sent down to Stores for "Relative Bearing Grease" !!

"UP SPIRITS!!!"
Old 12-17-2009, 07:08 AM
dleighty1

thank you , yes i do have some sand , i filled about 6 small bottles with sand ,the
small tobacco bottles that came in the MRS . I have them packed away in a box
with some money from there and Saddam posters.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:16 AM
lez1troubles

see, there's something I miss about the armed services, THE SENCE OF HUMOUR, civi's just dont have it and take to much personaly. Should just shoot the whole lot.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Darksheer

ORIGINAL: killick64

Maybe just another case of a simple ''Failure to Communicate''? Unfortunate, but it happens...

As for myself, I'm 2 generations of MilSpeak behind everyone else, and would be totally lost aboard one of our shiny new City Class Frigates: I'd probably blunder into a Bear Trap while looking for the Gas Citadel, or just a hard copy of the QR and AI. The ''propellant'' in all our Munitions back then was simply called ''cordite'' and stunk like a sour penny (which the WRENS ashore were all too fond of pointing out).

I'm looking forward to 2010 when Canada's Navy marks 100 years of being ''Ready Aye Ready'', and the 40,000th instance of some poor junior AB getting sent down to Stores for ''Relative Bearing Grease'' !!

''UP SPIRITS!!!''
last i checked Relative bearing grease is kept in the same locker as the following items
Headlight fluid
camoflauge paint
propeller grease
bullet polish
thermal resistant spare tire air

rumor has it this locker is often believed to be in the sgt/major's -CPO-SWO's office but at the time of writing thi it cannot be confirmed nor denied
Old 12-17-2009, 08:42 AM
lez1troubles

confirmed, you'll probably find alote of the booze from the officers mess in there aswellbut dont tell anybody.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:03 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

If you did serve, you have my apologies. You have to understand, a lot of us are of the proper age to have served in Nam and then some, me included. Nothing I hate more than going in to a bar and have the local "vet" holding court scream as my miserable mugg appears and start spouting off that he can "recognize" a Nam vet when he see's one. I usually let them continue on for a while. Almost always they will finally wind down and ask who I served with. I give them a false CO name and outfit, and invariably they start again about how they heard of us and how "bad" we was etc etc etc. And I'm sitting there thinking "yeah, and you're a GD liar, 'cause I was not in Nam and the info I gave you was false....Kampuchia, yes...Nam...well maybe depending on where the border was that day". What I can't understand is how we lost when we have all them brave LURPS, Rangers, SF, etc (that's invariably what they say they was) who decimated the bad guys daily. And trust me, when they is shooting at you when you leave, you lost.
That, son, is the trick. Always works. No vet is gonna sit in a bar or anywhere and describe in clinical detail what he did...civilians don't need to know what we do anynow. Makes 'em nervous.
This happens way too often to be comfortable about, so you must accept my apologies if you did indeed serve. What rang the bell first off was the reference to "black powder", which has not been used by any 'modern' army in about a hundred years that I know of.Too much smoke and not enough push.
OK, to field strip a Kalashnikov. Remove the mag, clear the weapon, then push the retangle button at the rear of the sheet metal receiver cover. Remove the receiver cover by lifting up the rear and pivoting it slightly up, then pull cover to rear. Then remove the now exposed recoil spring assy........
And yes, I am an azzhole, born and bred.
Now, don't use black powder. Check with your local police, and go on the net and look at your State and local laws. I know W Va is different, but the libs are everywhere. If you must have a "bang" in the tank, then use blanks. Some of the larger scale tanks, metal ones, use 9mm blank semi auto pistols, even here, where a firearm permit is pretty bleedin' hard to get. However, I would advise against it. Just get your IR battle system. You are not that far from Danville VA where the museum there has several battle events each year at their indoor battlefield. And you'll meet lots of kindred souls.
And was that you that loosed the short round that landed right near our AO in Gulf 1, the one that rattled my brain in it's bucket? If so, ya missed....both Brand X and me. Nice try, though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.