Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Help with my M5 stuart and Abrams tank's

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Help with my M5 stuart and Abrams tank's

Old 12-18-2009, 11:12 AM
Baaxter7484
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with my M5 stuart and Abrams tank's

Hello I have 2 Ultimate soldier tank's, But of course they quit working and/or have broken part's. I have some ideas on fixing them but would like input from the RCU community. I was going to try a Tamiya DMD, is that a good start? And finding parts is just a true nightmare as I'm sure you all know! What are easy(or not) ways to get turret and barrel function to work again? What are good radios to use? I see both purpose made radio's and aircraft radio's being used, What is the difference besides the obvious stick setup on aircraft Tx(no spring on throttle stick) and the purpose made 4 ch futaba's? and is there pro's and con's or is that just preference? I will post pic's of my build as I progress. So any pic's you might have fell free to share them. Thank's from one huge Tankfreak!

}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Tank's for the help!

}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Old 01-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Baaxter7484

Default RE: Help with my M5 stuart and Abrams tank's

Yea you may have noticed the lack of progress here in my tank build, well let's just say I've had a change of heart. Plus getting your tank from ebay DOA and Broke don't help! Found new electric's on Ebay and those failed to work as well! So my luck and patience has run out. over $400 dollars later and all I got is a useless Abram's and an angry wife!!!
I know now that there is no use in buying these tank's to upgrade. Cause the parts and plastic they're made with are just absolute JUNK!!! And as I delve more into the Abram's it became clear to me how useless this tank is!! And this tank was listed as New never opened!! With the money I wasted I could have been well on my way to a real Tank kit by Tamiya and not some Wal-Mart trash!! Hell my Stuart is Older and been used alot!! But it's still ticking unlike this Abram's. I am sure this Abram's will find it's way to the trash can very soon! But not before my Baja 5b lay's it to waste all over my yard!! As I drive right the hell over and thru it!! I mean these big tank's look cool but look is all they are good for!! The plastic on this abram's is just the weakest plastic I have ever seen, ever!! I see a Tamiya tank in my near future and screw the rest!
Old 01-01-2010, 12:35 PM
DAP

Save the motor & trans and trash the rest. I bought one new awhile back and it didnt work outa the box. Real P.O.S. Wasent worth the upgrade time much less expense.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:10 PM
bananapirate

Take it to a shooting range and use it for target practi...err I mean "ballistics test"
Old 01-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Baaxter7484

Yea I will do that thank's At least thats the only good thing on them and not even sure if their even good LOL
Old 01-03-2010, 08:45 PM
gorehound

It may be worth stripping some parts off it to flog on evil bay or elsewhere to recoup some of your money. They were notorious for breaking wheels and suspension so anybody still running one will pay for these sorts of bits - I know I am always looking for parts for mine []

cheers
Gorehound
Old 01-04-2010, 02:13 AM
Baaxter7484

Yea I hear ya on the part's thingy!! [:@] I'm gonna fix my Stuart and Junk the Abram's out. It's a shame the quality was so poor, they would be great tank's without all the mod's I don't care to do[]
Old 01-09-2011, 04:19 PM
EXTRA 330L
My Feedback: (4)

Hi
To all tank fans , I have a M5 STUART TANK . Everything was working fine , but now I find looking from behind the tank for some reason
the right track has gone JERKY / STOP / START . Can anybody please tell me why ? .

EMAIL [email protected]
Old 01-09-2011, 04:46 PM
gorehound

Hi

Two possible areas to check:-

The drive sprockets are prone to cracking where they fix to the tank. You will see a crack in them if you remove them and this allows it to keep slipping. The longer it runs like this the worse the damage. They are not too difficult to fix if caught in time though. Take it off and epoxy the bit where the crack is and then fit back on the tank. Before the epoxy sets put a hose clamp (the ones used to keep your coolant hoses fixed on your automobile) round the part that is cracked and tighten it up. I did this to my ones when I got them and have never had a problem so worth doing even if this is not the problem.

The second possibility is that you have stripped some teeth in the drive gear somewhere. Not so easy to fix other than to try and find some replacements (which is hard as they are as rare as chickens teeth). There is talk of some metal ones being made over on the M5 Tank battalion forum but at the moment these are not available.

THere is also a possibility you have some electrical componenet that is causing the jittering possibly due to a bad connection or solder joint so it is worth checking everything in these areas for anything loose or flaky looking.

I hope this helps but if not if you can give some more info on the exact symptoms maybe some more help can be given.

cheers

Gorehound

Old 01-09-2011, 05:10 PM
EXTRA 330L

Hi
Thanks for the information , by undoing all screws under the tank will the top come off so I can get to the motor or this broken part you are talking about .

Steve .
Old 01-11-2011, 02:36 PM
gorehound

Hi

It is a while since I opened mine up but as far as I remember there were a few screws in the base that need undone and the top then lifts off but be carefull not to pull too hard as there are wires connecting top to bottom that you will not want to tug too hard.

The drive sprocket is easy to test without removing the top. If you take the tracks off you will be able to see if the drive sprocket turns by hand without the gears moving, this will tell you if it is damaged. If it is then the hose clip can be attached without removing anything which makes for an easier repair.

cheers
Old 01-11-2011, 04:20 PM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the start of the topic refers to two different tanks.It shows these tanks in a poor lite and to me realy does not do either justice as I have had both.Still have three stuarts..........

One must look at the market these tanks were intended for and their cost when new.They were aimed at kids and was not suited for them in two different ways.(1) they are to big and heavy for a typical kid. (2) Most kids are very abussive to toys and we all know these tanks will not take abuse and need to be treated with a little respect and a certain amount of maintanance to give them a long life.

I don't pay much attention to other RC Tank Forums,but have allways hoped to see these tanks catch on more here on this forum as there are a lot of things I feel that can be done to improve on what I think is a great tank for the initial cost of these big guys.

BIGMIG
Old 01-14-2011, 05:27 PM
gorehound

I totally agree with your point on the Stuart BIGMIG as it is an excellent base from which to make a good 1:6th scale tank with a bit of effort but more importantly a small budget. There are a lot of fans out there for the M5 and some fantastic conversions\upgrades done by some people. I also have three of these - one still new in box - and have done many upgrades to one of them for not much cost - Tamiya electronics were the only major bit that I splashed out on but these were salvaged from an accident damaged Pershing so not too costly

The Abrams is a different matter though - woefully weak wheels, front idlers that fall off just loking at them, inaccurate suspension (for what minimal amount there is) and very brittle plastic throughout. Some people have done wonders with them but they require an awful lot more work than the M5 and are very difficult to find parts for. My one has sat in the shed for years with some damage and I have never bothered to get it fixed - I really should break it for spares and put it on the evilbay when I get some time.......

cheers
Gorehound
Old 01-14-2011, 05:54 PM
EXTRA 330L

Hi
Has anybody converted one to a 23cc - 29cc GAS ENGINE .
Old 01-15-2011, 05:50 AM
pzrwest

Rolling Thunder Tech on the SixthArmyGroup forum is selling the electronics and transmitter combo's from some Abrams tanks. I bought a set to replace the messed up set in my Stuart and now the Stuart runs perfectly(stock setup that is)