Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 04:41 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya Question

OK, here's the bottom line. A lot of the upgrades are suggestions and info. You can buy the Panther, get the DP barrel sleeve, and otherwise build him straight out of the box and have an excellent runner that will last until we have long white hair down to our knees, using him as either a Sunday driver or a rompin' stompin' fighter. Maintainence is minimal. Battle system is plug and play, and the sound affects, engine noise, shooting, etc, are pretty darned close to a Panther, being recorded from the Samur Museum's running KT, which used the same V-12 Maybach. You even get the two starter sequences, the electric starter and the hand cranked enertia starter.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:50 AM
sevoblast

Not a problem on the comments, lad, I understood.
As for the relationship, I wish you and your lass as much happiness as we have. If we was any happier, we'd be arrested for "selfish hoarding of happiness and failure to share same in the traditional Soviet manner". Of course, it helps emmensely that my little hellion is as avid a tanker as I am.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:49 AM
pcomm1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Perry S.

Where can you get a DMD and MFU for that price? Looks attractive. Is it one of those $150 shipping things?
Perry

No, 14 bucks for shipping for one unit and discounted shipping if you buy both units (about 16 bucks but email and ask first for a discount):

http://shop.ebay.com/jr-rc/m.html?_n...dkw=&_osacat=0
Old 12-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Perry S.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OH, thanks pcomm. Those aren't really that expensive. I thought they were more for some reason.
Perry
Old 12-21-2009, 07:47 PM
pcsguy88

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always thought AAF was the cheapest until I was pointed to Jason's store. At $100 cheaper for the 2 units, it starts to become a realistic option. I think I'm going to take the plunge on my KV to see what Tamiya is all about. Then I can make an intelligent decision on which Panther to get. The KV is so heavy, the HL electronics have problems turning at really low speeds. Hopefully the hobby grade electronics and transmitter will resolve that.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:42 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: pcsguy88

I always thought AAF was the cheapest until I was pointed to Jason's store. At $100 cheaper for the 2 units, it starts to become a realistic option. I think I'm going to take the plunge on my KV to see what Tamiya is all about. Then I can make an intelligent decision on which Panther to get. The KV is so heavy, the HL electronics have problems turning at really low speeds. Hopefully the hobby grade electronics and transmitter will resolve that.

The best thing you can do for a Heng long tank is go with 3:1 gears. It cures the electronics problems as the motors are never near stalling and it gives you the power and slow speed control you want. THe 3:1 gear box is the single best upgrade you can get for a Heng long tank, and I strongly recommend this first over anything else.

I have an RX 18 powering a set of Tamiya gears, and it has control as good if not better then the Tamiya ESC. Put the proper gears in those Heng longs and the RX18 is a great package.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:58 AM
sevoblast

Curious. Does the RX18 have different sounds for different tanks, or is it "one size fits all"? Don't know, hence the question. Good thing about Tam electronics is the different sounds for different tanks, except the KT-Tiger1-Panther set, which is the same.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:40 PM
YHR

ORIGINAL: sevoblast

Curious. Does the RX18 have different sounds for different tanks, or is it ''one size fits all''? Don't know, hence the question. Good thing about Tam electronics is the different sounds for different tanks, except the KT-Tiger1-Panther set, which is the same.

Yes the sound is the same for all tanks with the RX 18. Heng Long used to have the Sherman radial engine, and now they come with a deisel engine sound. Now if they were building both this would be a good development, but from what I hear they have just substituted the desiel for the Sherman. So this is one big drawback. Remember $20 though.

The Mato sounds when played though a good 4 ohm speaker are almost on par with the Tamiya Sherman sounds. The most exciting thing about the Mato board is the fact it has a removable sound cob, meaning other sound effects could be plugged in for different tanks. I am looking forward to what Mato might be doing with this. Big drawbag is it is different and not compatible to Davids DBC. Hopefully he designs something to work with it.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Once you fire up the Tamiya Pershing (Ford V-8 for those who do not know) you'll be glad you bought the Tamiya for the sound is priceless. And so is the performance.

- Jeff
Old 12-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Flyn Chris

I still get a huge grin on my face when ever I fire up the Tamiya KV
My youngest Grandson (5) was helping me with the KV build and when I got the the first start-up sound from the KV, his eys poped out and he had and even bigger grin on his face then mine, my granddaughter went running and screeming from the room. Ahh big boy toys are great!
Old 12-22-2009, 05:26 PM
YHR

ORIGINAL: Flyn Chris

I still get a huge grin on my face when ever I fire up the Tamiya KV
My youngest Grandson (5) was helping me with the KV build and when I got the the first start-up sound from the KV, his eys poped out and he had and even bigger grin on his face then mine, my granddaughter went running and screeming from the room. Ahh big boy toys are great!

Cool story.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:47 AM
sevoblast

Thanks, mate. My P3's have the older boards with the partial copy of the Tam Sherman effects, which after 2 mikes of running were replaced with Tam KT systems. Didn't sound to good. Pity they don't take the time and money to make different sounds, but then yes, 20 bucks talks.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:43 AM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

How does the tamiya sherman sound? Is it decent sounding? That is, or will be my first tamiya tank build once I save up a little more and finish my other projects. I have built other tamiya static and rc, so no biggie, wont be a problem build, just wondering if the sound is good.

Cheers,
Wade
Old 12-23-2009, 01:47 AM
Pzjgr

It's the sound Heng Long copied
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ2xxNTEmkQ
Old 12-23-2009, 02:23 AM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pzjgr

It's the sound Heng Long copied
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ2xxNTEmkQ
oops I didn't explain myself lol, what I meant was how does the tamiya sherman sound as compared to the other tamiya's, I know hl copied the sound, but still doesn't compare to a tamiya system. I haven't heard them first hand, just on video

Cheers,
Wade
Old 12-23-2009, 03:01 AM
sevoblast

Sounds totally different from other Tamiya tanks. Unique sound etc, and the MG is the slow US and Brit rate. Once you hear one you'll know the difference. HL made a very poor copy of it IMHO.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:53 AM
YHR

ORIGINAL: sevoblast

Thanks, mate. My P3's have the older boards with the partial copy of the Tam Sherman effects, which after 2 mikes of running were replaced with Tam KT systems. Didn't sound to good. Pity they don't take the time and money to make different sounds, but then yes, 20 bucks talks.
Yes the onboard sound of the RX 18 is the week link now. No doubt about it, as soon as you fire up a Tamiya, you know what you are driving. I have an El Mod Tiger though, and it is pretty sweet.

The link supplied by Pcomm for those Tamiya units has me interested. Those prices are almost enough to make me chose the Tamiya Electronics over anything else. The Battle system is so basic though. THe technology exists for so much more now, and I really believe the low cost RX 18 together with the freelance hackers are going to produce something better. We just have to give them some time.