Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

best torque motors for full metal RC 1/16 tanks

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

best torque motors for full metal RC 1/16 tanks

Old 09-13-2020, 03:24 AM
Steelcoffin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool best torque motors for full metal RC 1/16 tanks

Where I can find the best torque motors for full metal RC 1/16 tanks because my Taigen Sherman full metal have more difficulties to climb a simple 20 deg climb.."!!!
I think Taigen get a default 380 motor , maybe it's better to switch for a 390, or 540...??
Old 09-13-2020, 05:12 AM
Jay-Em

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Time for some 390’s, me thinks. They will most certainly do the trick. You could ask Eric at IMEX too. He’ll probably have a solution already.
In the worst case You’ll have to buy two whole new gearboxes ( short shaft) with a higher gear ratio.

Over here in Europe and the UK we use Igarishi 5-poles with 3s packs, but they are -apparently- unavailable to Northern America.
Old 09-13-2020, 05:31 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

I'm not sure if 390s will fit in a Sherman, bu you can always go with 4:1 GBs, but those might require a bit of work. I believe with 4:1s in the Sherman you have to relieve the inside of the transmission cover for clearance, but they say it's quick and easy with a dremel.
Old 09-13-2020, 06:26 AM
Steelcoffin

First, Thanks for your fast answer...Well, a new gearboxes ( short shaft) with a higher gear ratio , 4:1, or 5:1 ... will be good enough if I keep my 380 motors.? Or if I need to switch my motors with.?
Old 09-13-2020, 06:55 AM
Jay-Em

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually the higher gear ratio gearboxes come with the correct motors already attached.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:34 AM
Crius

And don't pay any attention to the 4:1 or 5:1, those are not actual gear ratios. The ones you want are the 4:1. You would think that the 5:1 would be even better but that's not the case. For an all metal tank you should definitely stay away from the 5:1. I only use those in very light tanks, like the Panzer 3 or the Panzer 4.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:14 PM
Steelcoffin

Talking

Ok, so more higher the first number , more lower is the torque and faster is the machine...!!
So, more the machine is heavy, better is to goal smaller first number...? Ex: JAgTiger=3:1, pzIII= 5:1 ....!!
Old 09-13-2020, 06:11 PM
LasvoochTheTiger1Ace

I can't tell if you are just joking around but just in case you are not, the ratio from least to most torque goes 5:1, 3:1, 4:1. Please correct me if i am wrong Gary.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:07 PM
Michal_Kaczorowski

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Here we go again Those numbers have nothing to do with torque, please check this film:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYtdQz0LI3g You can change torque of standard gerbox by swaping last gears. I recommend to buy mini tachometer (20 USD).

Before (stock)

After

Last edited by Michal_Kaczorowski; 09-13-2020 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:47 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Generally the higher the difference in ratio the more RPM reduction you have and increased torque

This is only true when comparing gears of similar diameter ratio

In the case of the pic aforehand, it is clear the output gear diameter is significantly different, thus ratio comparison between these two types is not entirely accurate
Old 09-15-2020, 02:47 AM
Steelcoffin

Red face

Originally Posted by LasvoochTheTiger1Ace
I can't tell if you are just joking around but just in case you are not, the ratio from least to most torque goes 5:1, 3:1, 4:1. Please correct me if i am wrong Gary.
It's exactly what I'm saying ..but the way that I tell it maybe confuse because English is not my native language, sorry if I mist something....
By the way Thanks for video, I really like this kind of vid, clear, simple, right to the goal..!!

Last edited by Steelcoffin; 09-15-2020 at 02:57 AM.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:46 AM
H2Ohaze

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great video there, Gary, also the vids you did on the PIII with 5:1 compared to stock 3:1. Still waiting for my PIII Taigen IR to come in.

I have 15 degree slopes through short grass, and a Taigen IR Sherman 76 and a T-34 and Tiger 1 Late. There definitely is a difference. The Sherman is the only one that is hard to steer around, and I attribute that to lack of low speed ability to lean the stick to the left/right as I push it forward...less than the other tanks. But I have no problem climbing straight up. The T-34 and Tiger are 4:1 with the Tiger having 390's stock.

But even the Tiger had a problem when I had a few four year old NiMh batteries that wouldn't hold a charge. I have a very good charger, but the batteries would last a minute than the tank would just not move. I thought it was the tank. But the batteries went flat. As a suggestion and to rule it out, have you tried a new battery in your Sherman, to make sure it's not an issue? Some packs can discharge a higher rate than others too.

Could someone perhaps go into a little detail on how the Sherman can be dremeled out for a 4:1? Not that I can't live with the 3:1, it teaches me driving skills
Old 09-15-2020, 12:50 PM
Crius

When you put 4:1s in the Sherman the one axle gear (I think the right) rubs on the inside of the transmission cover on the front of the tank. You have to remove a little material from the inside of the front cover so the gear will clear. Obviously if you remove too much your tank will get religion and become holey.
Old 09-15-2020, 12:52 PM
Crius

Turning on hill is a problem for lots of tanks. Even my 1/6 Hetzer doesn't like it, usually it moves right along, but turning on a hill can make one track slip. Corrective steering is required, I just have to pay attention.
Old 01-29-2022, 07:49 AM
ron_van_sommeren

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Edit: oops, I replied in a 2020 thread Name:  redface.gif
Views: 413
Size:  1.0 KB

For max.torque you need to know a motor's max.current and its velocity konstant Kv.

The below goes for brushed and brushless motors alike, same motormodel, same parameters.
Brushless motors are just brushed motors with electronic commutation, the ESC. Instead of mechanical commutation, the brushes+commutator.

Current and torque are proportional, rotational velocity and voltage are proportional.
(max)torque = (max)current × Kt
angular velocity = voltage × Kv
and
Kt = 1/Kv
All of the above in SI units, for the last line that would be in newtonmeter per ampère respectively radian per second per volt.

(Note: multiplication of left-hand parameters will give mechanical power out, multiplication of right hand parameters will give electrical power in.)

Three straightforward methods for determing Kv. In rpm/volt, not yet in SI units!
bavaria-direct.co.za, a.k.a. RCG user skylar.

Prettig weekend Ron
• Without a watt-meter you're in the dark ... until something starts to glow •
E-flight calculatorswatt-metersdiy motor tips&tricksCumulus MFC

Last edited by ron_van_sommeren; 01-29-2022 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-30-2022, 02:08 AM
GTORA2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe it reflects real life to some degree, the Sherman with VVSS suspension was not all that great at climbing slopes.

@Steelcoffin
Why does your M4A3 76 have side armor for the quick fix, that was only done on 75mm dry ammo rack tanks? On all 76mm Shermans, the ammo racks were moved to the floor of the tank, under the turret, they removed most of the turret basket to make the ammo easier to get to and went to a six or eight round armored, ready rack mounted at the feet of the loader. In addition, all main gun ammo was encased in water jackets. These changes took the Sherman from an average burner to one of the rarest tanks to burn when hit of the war. On your tank, that added plate on the side is just adding some armor over the master power switches and driver.

Old 01-31-2022, 10:33 AM
ron_van_sommeren

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ron_van_sommeren
... Current and torque are proportional, rotational velocity and voltage are proportional.
(max)torque = (max)current × Kt
angular velocity = voltage × Kv
where
Kt = 1/Kv
... ...
Factoring in the gearbox:
Kv_geared = Kv_motor / gear_ratio
Kt_geared = 1 / Kv_geared = Kt_motor × gear_ratio
Vriendelijke groeten Ron
• Without a watt-meter you're in the dark ... until something starts to glow •
E-flight calculatorswatt-metersdiy motor tips&tricksCumulus MFC

Last edited by ron_van_sommeren; 01-31-2022 at 10:37 AM.