Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Scorpion Tank 1/6th Build

I'm back after a long time, over the past year ive insulated my garage put in air and heating and built a crazy workshop, back in june i built a CNC Router and have just started putting it to good use now. I had a 1/35th model of the Sropion tank that I always wanted to build in 1/6th scale and I finnaly started it. I designed it all out in 3d and I used the CNC to cut out negative molds of all the parts into HDPE blocks and have been casting the parts with Alumilite resin. Which works perfectly because HDPE resists any chemical bond so the parts pull out easy and I save on silicon rubber molds. I made a track piece that allows me to cast 9 tracks at a time, I need a total of about 160. Heres a few pics of it sofar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fd91681.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	558.2 KB 
ID:	1348974   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy79400.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	500.4 KB 
ID:	1348975   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gl21444.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	471.7 KB 
ID:	1348976   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fz74055.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	509.2 KB 
ID:	1348977   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zk67312.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	497.6 KB 
ID:	1348978  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fv26012.jpg 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	1348979  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Scorpion Tank 1/6th Build

I am definitely watching this build every minute!

Good luck mate!!

Ed
    1/5th HSP Bajer - NQD High Speed 757

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very nice build Moo, what design of CNC machine did you build? I got my design off of CNCZone.com and it is called the JGRO CNC machine, I am running Mach 3 and Vectric's Cut2D. I like to cut HDPE and MDF as they are both so easy to mill, I have picked up some 12" x 12" X 1.5mm G10 to make some RC heli parts.
    I love what you have done so far and I especially like the track links, how many individual links are there and how long did it take your machine to cut them?
    Oops, I just reread your post and I see that you cast your track parts. I still assume that you used your machine to make the mold for your track casts?
    Thanks for sharing,
    DT
    "DeadTom" here on RCUniverse.com and on CNCzone.com and many other RC sites

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I built the Joe's 2006 design run off mach3 and cambam and really love it. For anyone who has been thinking of CNC I built Joe's whole setup for under 1500$ you should google it. I used the machine to cut out the main tanks body out of HDPE, which I regret because its unpaintable but I might make a fiberglass mold around it and then cast those in fiberglass, but all the other small parts I cut out negatives in HDPE blocks then cast them with plastic, for the tracks they took about 3 hours in total to cut out. I had to use really small bits so I only ran at 4 inches per minute, normally I run at 30 with other cuts.

How is it cutting the G10 with you CNC, do the fibers get everywhere or is it fairly clean?

I attached some new pics also

Name:	Bz78098.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	525.0 KB 
ID:	1350122   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wr54258.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	536.1 KB 
ID:	1350123   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Va72263.jpg 
Size:	498.5 KB 
ID:	1350124  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi, could you please explain what : HDPE is ?

Thanks George

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: George Jure

Hi, could you please explain what : HDPE is ?

Thanks George
    high density polyethylene

It's a tough and flexible plastic used in things such as milk and laundry detergent containers. It's really easy to machine in it's bulk form.

He is right though, I don't know where he will find a paint to stick to it.

Perry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Moo,
    The G10 is tough but easily done with good sharp mills/bits and a very slow feed rate, at least on my machine. Any yes the dust is not nice so have your vacuum system up and running.
    The Joe's 2006 is a great design IMO, it was not available when I started my JGRO. I am cutting some new pieces to upgrade my machine here in the near future along with better linear bearings.
    Very cool what you have done so far it is too bad about the HDPE not being paintable but don't let that stop you; when a problem arises a solution is just around the corner.
    DT

This is fantastic!

How durable are HDPE negative molds and how many times can you cast in them?

Thanks,
    John.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can you perhaps dye the HDPE? And just an awesome build! just love the whole thing, what kinda electric's will you be using to run this tank?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can one of you guys please give more info on the cnc machines you are using and how much they cost?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

WOW lol!!.......this guy is serious about wanting a 1/6 scorpion lol.....But if it weren't for guys like him half of the stuff we(buyers) have available to us wouldn't exist......"my hats off"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: yellowshaker

Can one of you guys please give more info on the cnc machines you are using and how much they cost?
    Hopefully with Moo's consent I shall give a brief explanation of a CNC router, I do not want to hi-jack Moo's thread. Thanks for your indulgence,

Yellowshaker,
    The machine that Moo has is the "Joe's 2000" CNC router, this can be bought as a kit w/o electronics or you can cut the mdf peices out yourself.
    The machine I have built is from a set of plans that I downloaded from CNCZone.com from the DIY wood working machine forum labeled "JGRO" CNC router.
    Both machines are primarily constructed from mdf (medium density fiberboard) and from Moo said above his cost less than $1500 to build, I do not know if that was with the computer and software or not.
    I have about $1200-$1300 invested in mine and I am ready to upgrade or enhance my machine, I had a computer already laying around for use.
    Beyond the build of the machine itself you will need a controller, stepper motors and a computer that will run your software. The controller software of choice by myself is Mach 3.0, excellent for controlling just about any type of CNC device from CNC routers to CNC plasma cutters. Next you will need a way to design your parts (CAD) and then convert that drawing to what is called "gcode". A controller card/box takes the gcode/signal from your computer, usually from the printer port or the serial port, and converts the part drawing to a PWM (pulse width modulation) signal that moves the stepper motors. The design software I use primarily is from a company called Vectric and I use their Cut2D sofware currently, Cut2D also converts my parts drawing into gcode and exports it directly to Mach 3.0 and this feeds to my CNC router (custom signs, parts, etc).
    There are many options for machines, controller electronics, stepper motors and software please visit CNCZone.com for more information than you can shake a stick at.
    If we need to maybe we can start another thread further discussing CNC machines at a hobby level.
    Thanks Moo please keep us informed as to your build progress,
    DT

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Working on the tracks and having a lot of issues need some pointers or help on. I'm trying to drill the holes through for the pins to hold the tracks together, I have a drill press and a long bit for this but I just cant get them to be accurate, they turn out with the holes slightly bent and not alligned to the center or some punch through the sides and ruin it.. I have to to 150 of them so I need to get a easy way down to do this accuratly, any ideas..?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am looking at buying a real one , not that dear ($ 20,000). It's the sheep station to locate it thats expensive !!! ( $800,000)[X(]

ORIGINAL: 88mm

How durable are HDPE negative molds and how many times can you cast in them?

Anyone??? Buellar???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

HDPE is veryy durable and strong, I dont see them wearing out anytime soon, I cast 20 wheels out of one and its still perfectly fine, you have to remove them before they get too hard though, I drilled holes in the back and use a nail to push them out.

Thanks for the reply. As for the track links, have you considered rigging up a jig which will hold them in place while you drill them?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

not sure exactly what type of jig to build to do that easily

For example: Would it be possible to machine a 2 piece negative mold for 1 track link out of wood? If so, make sure the outside surfaces are square and true. Through trial and error I would take 1 half of the mold and align it with the link in place and when it's positioned perfectly, clamp it down to the drill table - making it stationary. Then I would position the second half of the mold in place and attach a makeshift clamp that swivels into place like a vise-grip. Also, could it be that your drill bit is too long that it bends. Are the links cast in Alumilite resin? I would use a Titanium bit on a slower speed. Hope this helps.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hey greatestmoo
    are you going to kit this when you get it done? thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was hoping to try and sell it when I'm done. I'm building it in a way where I can easily build more. By kit do you mean just the resin parts and body? Heres a bunch of newer pics also.

Name:	Pn37238.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	589.6 KB 
ID:	1353024   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ni23247.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	662.4 KB 
ID:	1353025   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mr42240.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	590.7 KB 
ID:	1353026   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rp43599.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	500.4 KB 
ID:	1353027   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Av70030.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	539.0 KB 
ID:	1353028  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ze85164.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	474.0 KB 
ID:	1353029  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Greatestmoo: I have a PM for you, check your PM inbox
    1/5th HSP Bajer - NQD High Speed 757

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi
    i mean as a kit to build a tank with the builder putting in his own motor ,radio etc so like if you where to buy a model all the parts are there to build a compelet tank with building instrustions thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I wasn't awhare that these router machines could handle a plastic like HDPE, can the work with DELRON? That is a great plastic for machining parts from. It would be less expensive that buying an actuall mill or even minimill.
    Tamiya Panther G, HL/Tamiya TigerI, WSN/HL T-34/85, WSN/Tamiya T-34/85, WSN/HL DBCRC2 T-34/85, HL/Tamiya Pershing, Mato/Tamiya Sherman,HL KV-1, HL Pz III, HL/Custom scratch JP, HE/Tamiya Abrams, HE/Tamiya LEO 2A5, Vs Abrams M1A1, Vs T-72, HL Bergepanthe

ORIGINAL: rye

hi
    i mean as a kit to build a tank with the builder putting in his own motor ,radio etc so like if you where to buy a model all the parts are there to build a compelet tank with building instrustions thanks
    Same here.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast