WWI tank tracks

Subscribe
Im thinking about scratchbuilding a R/C 1/16th scale WWI British tank. I've been looking at alot of photos, but havent found a good one showing how the tracks worked/fit together. Maybe I'll get lucky and find something readymade thats close,but I doubt it. Anyone have a good picture or diagram? Also, Im looking at all the available RTR tanks, looking for something I might be able to use. Any ideas?
RE: WWI tank tracks
Tim, send me a PM with your email & I'll forward what I have for the Mk series.

For ready-made, try contacting DJ Parkins & see if they'd be willing to sell you parts from their pending 1/15 kit: http://www.djparkins.clara.net/djplinkspage.htm

If you want to go solo, you can mold using Alumilite or mill a simple track like shown here.

Nl29939.jpg   Pl32559.jpg  

I was considering a 1/6th scale MK series. That would be a large model. I too was looking for the actual track design.
Check the Tonka or Mattel Caterpillars. There's plenty of them out there and you might luck upon one with tracks just as you want. Same basic tracks.
The Firingline 1/15 Mark IV has been 'for future release' for several years. I would try converting the Norscot 1/16 Caterpillar tracks (Worked well for my 15th scale FT-17). They are cast metal and functional (individual links). Two of these links combined into one will make a believable Mark IV track.

It will take quite a few sets to make a complete track set for a MkIV, probably 5 tractor sets!

FiringLine:
http://www.djparkins.clara.net/fline/flmaster.htm

Pics of the track:

Pn35397.jpg   So42913.jpg   Uz67581.jpg  

Oh great.......now there's ANOTHER tank I gotta have..............DAM!!!
Don't know if this might be of some help. It's from Tanks (Look Inside Cross Sections). I don't seem to be able to find my own copy, but did find someone else's somewhat cropped post of the diagram.

Sp45291.jpg  

Thanks for all the info. Hermill, the right side picture you posted is exactly what Im wanting to build , only in plastic. I've got quite a bit of .080 lying around. With plenty of supporting structure it should be strong enough. Probably the most tideous part will be all the rivots. With a good close up of the tracks, I might give it a go with brass. Heavyaslead, I looked and looked on the www and couldnt find any good tracks and there you have some with potential. The research continues.........
Another option might be using the tracks from the Bruder 1/16 excavator. http://brudertoys.com/product_info.p...d=402&cPath=21 Although they're plastic, they seem to be pretty tough.

-Mike
sassgrunt, thanks for the lead on the tracks. I looked into it and they sell the tracks seperately!
Well, it SAYS that they sell them separately, but when you try to buy a set, it comes back as 'out of stock' and tells you to contact them. I did that this morning, and am waiting for a response. I really think they have potential for an operating tank. (I don't want to say what my project is until I can make enough progress not to embarrass myself)! -Mike
I hope you can get the Bruder tracks as all other RTR options are too expensive! I cant afford to buy 2 $50-150 models just to use their tracks! The more I think this project thru, the more I realized why not so many have done one in the past. In 1/16th scale, the British MK IV measures around 2ft long and approx 10in wide.... nice size.
Wow, didn't realize that tank was so big!! If only HL would make one...
Im trying to decide on a particular tank to model. Heres some examples. I kinda like the one with the turret.

Om33803.jpg   Ez82611.jpg   Bg91808.jpg  

I picked up some sheet metal today, I'll try it and plastic and see which I like best.
The one with the turret is not a Mk I through V, but is a Medium B Whippet. Did you guys know that the tracks on all these tanks only lasted 20 miles? That wasn't an average , but the actuall life of the tracks. Neet project tank though.
Panther G, that is an interesting fact I did not know. The tracks are probably going to be the hardest part of this build. I cant find anything RTR that really works for me, so Im thinking of making my own. I think Im going to get some plastic chain and go from there.
I was pretty suprised when I read about that fact also. i guess the huge weight of these tanks was too much for the grade of steel they could produce at the time.
Quote:
i guess the huge weight of these tanks was too much for the grade of steel
Not to mention the reckless advice on handling given in this 1917 recruiting poster

Bz78558.jpg  

Plus these tanks didnt really have a "working" suspension, so the crew was thrown around inside the tank. I free handed a 1/16th side panel on to .080 plastic and cut it out. Its ok, but nothing to write home about. I really need some plans. Ive got a couple of books comming from Abe Books.
Search for plans has turned up NOTHING. Im hoping that the two books I ordered will have at least a drawing I can enlarge. Once I have that, things can proceed. I think I have the tracks pretty much worked out. Im using two plastic chains per side, running over sprokets. Then I will use two HL gearboxes/motors amidships with a drive sprocket for each side. I'll probably use a HL board for electronics. Still pretty much in the planning stage.
I have some books related to british and german tanks in WWI, specially a russian one with some good schemas and 3-views. Tell me what Mark do you intend to build and if it shall be a male or female tank.
The image correspond to the general layout of a MkV "male" tank.
Hope it helps.

Regards
Uhu

Ig12881.jpg  

Thanks so much UHU. I've been leaning toward a female, but havent quite made a final decision yet.
They did make tanks one side male , one side female, They called them Hermephrodytes, Really no kidding i swear.
My data bank is growing everyday, but I still know relatively little about these tanks. Thanks for adding somemore info Panther G. Dang, I can wait for my books to show up!!