Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tiger 1 progress

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 12:43 AM
Soulfly3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiger 1 progress

How do you guys charge your batteries once you bolt the top hull shut. It's manual shows you have to tuck the battery cables in between the motor and battery packs.

It's been 20 years since I built a true kit......Makes me appreciate my Vs and HL's at the same time. I have a felling this thing is going to fall apart in my first battle!!
Old 01-25-2010, 01:21 AM
Pzjgr

Default RE: Tiger 1 progress

I do it like this.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46128.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	1363952  
Old 01-25-2010, 01:35 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It won't fall apart.  Just remember drive slow, and remember to drive only to get to or from a fight.  If you can shoot them where you are, then don't be driving. 

As to charging, many of us use a battery isolation switch with an external charge jack to eliminate low battery drive offs, and the need for opening the tank to charge.  There's a schematic on SCAT's website for how to wire it up.  If you come to battleday, you'll see many different ideas. 

For my Tigers, I bought the optional driver/radio operator hatch hinges, and installed the on/off/charge switch and jack on a small board directly underneath the radio operator's hatch.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:37 AM
Soulfly3

nice tank, I guess I just have to wire it like yours.....I just thought that it would get in the way of the turret
Old 01-25-2010, 01:38 AM
RSEA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! An untouched, unpainted Tamiya Tiger.. Looks at those tracks! Not a scratch or scrape on them! Soon that thing will be ready! Ready for your tender caress, ready for the feel of that vibrating Maybach, read to set the world on fire with its power and magnitude!

To charge you have to remove the turret and upper deck, unless you install a custom charging jack somewhere on your tank that is connected to the main battery line along with an on/off switch. I don't have a charge jack on mine, if I did I'd give you some info about it. Might try to add one at some point..

I'm sure your tank will survive its first battle. Mine was 2 years old when I got it, I then tore it half apart, modified it, put it back together and it lived (didn't fall apart). But I did end up taking it half apart again, which is the state it is currently in now lol.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:41 AM
Soulfly3

ORIGINAL: Jeff489

It won't fall apart. Just remember drive slow, and remember to drive only to get to or from a fight. If you can shoot them where you are, then don't be driving.

As to charging, many of us use a battery isolation switch with an external charge jack to eliminate low battery drive offs, and the need for opening the tank to charge. There's a schematic on SCAT's website for how to wire it up. If you come to battleday, you'll see many different ideas.

For my Tigers, I bought the optional driver/radio operator hatch hinges, and installed the on/off/charge switch and jack on a small board directly underneath the radio operator's hatch.
Sweet!! That sounds like the winner! I'll look in to doing the hatch trick........I knew there was I reason I didn't want to glue them on!
Old 01-25-2010, 01:48 AM
Shabbernigdo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ijust take my turret off and charge the batterys that way. The battery leads are long enough to reach the opening so i just plug em up.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:50 AM
Soulfly3

ORIGINAL: RSEA

Wow! An untouched, unpainted Tamiya Tiger.. Looks at those tracks! Not a scratch or scrape on them! Soon that thing will be ready! Ready for your tender caress, ready for the feel of that vibrating Maybach, read to set the world on fire with its power and magnitude!

To charge you have to remove the turret and upper deck, unless you install a custom charging jack somewhere on your tank that is connected to the main battery line along with an on/off switch. I don't have a charge jack on mine, if I did I'd give you some info about it. Might try to add one at some point..

I'm sure your tank will survive its first battle. Mine was 2 years old when I got it, I then tore it half apart, modified it, put it back together and it lived (didn't fall apart). But I did end up taking it half apart again, which is the state it is currently in now lol.

My wife looked at the tank and said."That thing is going to fall apart.....are you sure it's not for display only?"..........Then she asked,"Why didn't you buy it all built up like the green one(my HL pershing)? Then she asked how much I paid for it......after I answered....She told me I was an Idiot!! LOL!!

Thanks for the input!!

Don't I need two inputs since my tank uses to batteries?
Old 01-25-2010, 08:42 AM
karel47

thats unwise to charge your batteries inside your rc tanks, loading batterys gives much heat into your tank, thats not good for your electronics. that was an advice from a modeller to me when i started 25y ago but i geuss its still approperiate today. Keep this in mind, it takes a like throuble to remove them and load them outside

enjoy

karel
Old 01-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Jeff489

Tamiya makes a little Y adapter for hooking up one battery to two loads.  It's sold with their King Tiger kit and Pershing kit (maybe others too, I just don't recall right now).  I'd use just one high quality battery (the battery you have in there is just fine (I've got a few and am impressed by how they charge up).  One battery saves weight (which is your enemy). 

As for charging batteries in your tank, I charge mine inside using the aforementioned charging system.  Yes, they can overheat if improperly charged, but they haven't in many years of doing this.  I follow a few common sense rules.  I currently use NiMH batteries.  I replace my batteries every 2 years (I magic marker the date first charged on the battery before installing) and charge them at a reasonable amperage (3.5a)  with a high quality peak detecting charger.  They get warm, but not hot when charged. 

My basis for doing so is that  I choose to run the remote risk of a meltdown instead of  enduring what I consider to be a sure thing of turret ring damage and stripped gears from continually removing turrets for maintenance.  Time savings is huge too, as it is very convenient to recharge tanks.  Many other tank club members do this too.  One might not realize it, but we charge batteries inside plastic stuff every day (such as our vehicles, laptops, cellphones, RC transmitters, etc.) without meltdowns.  Why not a tank application?
Old 01-26-2010, 12:45 AM
Soulfly3

Tamiya makes a little Y adapter for hooking up one battery to two loads. It's sold with their King Tiger kit and Pershing kit (maybe others too, I just don't recall right now). I'd use just one high quality battery (the battery you have in there is just fine (I've got a few and am impressed by how they charge up). One battery saves weight (which is your enemy).

As for charging batteries in your tank, I charge mine inside using the aforementioned charging system. Yes, they can overheat if improperly charged, but they haven't in many years of doing this. I follow a few common sense rules. I currently use NiMH batteries. I replace my batteries every 2 years (I magic marker the date first charged on the battery before installing) and charge them at a reasonable amperage (3.5a) with a high quality peak detecting charger. They get warm, but not hot when charged.

My basis for doing so is that I choose to run the remote risk of a meltdown instead of enduring what I consider to be a sure thing of turret ring damage and stripped gears from continually removing turrets for maintenance. Time savings is huge too, as it is very convenient to recharge tanks. Many other tank club members do this too. One might not realize it, but we charge batteries inside plastic stuff every day (such as our vehicles, laptops, cellphones, RC transmitters, etc.) without meltdowns. Why not a tank application?
Are these the hinges you are talking about? [link]http://etoarmour.com/product_detail.php?productID=T10013[/link]

is that the price for two?
Old 01-26-2010, 02:49 AM
Ern

ORIGINAL: karel47

thats unwise to charge your batteries inside your rc tanks, loading batterys gives much heat into your tank, thats not good for your electronics.

karel
It's also unwise to tell your wife how much you spend on tanks ~ especially a Tamiya! [X(]
Old 01-27-2010, 01:28 AM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: Ern

thats unwise to charge your batteries inside your rc tanks, loading batterys gives much heat into your tank, thats not good for your electronics.

karel
It's also unwise to tell your wife how much you spend on tanks ~ especially a Tamiya! [X(]

The Tiger I looks like it is progressing nicely Soulfly.
Karel and Ern are right on the money with those two statements. Never tell the wife how much everything costs. Just the good deals or sell a few things to keep her off your back. As for the battery charging, it will depend on what you do with your tank and how you use it. If you just drive it occasionally then slow charging in the tank is not too bad as long as you keep a wary eye on it. It you battle the tank as I do, you should not use the battery strap and should NEVER charge the battery in the tank. The heat is not good for the battery, the tank electronics, or is a safe thing to do. I have seen batteries catch fire, rupture, leak and melt into the tank plastic. You should always rotate batteries to cool them down between discharge/use and charging. At Danville we have fans and cool the batteries between these cycles. A Tamiya "Y" connector will link the DMD & MF but there are other options. Most of us in Danville use Deans connector in lieu of the Tamiya connectors. It is more dependable and secure. The Y connector adds resistance which is no good. I would recommend you splice/solder the two together and add Deans connectors to the new paired +/- leads. It will not void your warranties on the DMD or MF with Tamiya as this is a common practice. If you do damage the DMD or MF by over-charging the battery Tamiya WILL NOT replace them due to miss use/ abuse. Charge your batteries in a cool area clear of flamables. Your workshop and new tank are worth more than a little convienance. A slow charge is much less risky than a fast charge. You only really need one good high capacity battery for your tank. It will need much less attention and 5000 milleamps are readily available. As for removal of the battery for charging and changing it can be easily removed but removing the turret and slipping it out the large turret ring. That way you can secure the tank deck and air hoses. I do recommend you cover the gearboxes to keep oil & lube in and dirt & loose wires out. Point the connector end of the battery away from your gearboxes on any RC tank. If the battery wires get pinched in the brass gears it will set the tank on fire immediately. I always preach about "Wire Hygene" and take great care with my builds to keep it neat and safe. The Tiger has a lot of room but some like the M26 Pershing, are real tight.
I wish you luck and enjoy the build, Bob thecommandernj

Name:	Ig11772.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	1365456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15187.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	1365457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79743.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	1365458  
Old 01-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Jeff489

Are these the hinges you are talking about? http://etoarmour.com/product_detail....oductID=T10013

is that the price for two?
Yes that's them.  That's for a set of two.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:40 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob your killing me. I want that Pershing. LOL. The Tiger just has eaten up half my budget for the year and it is still January. LOL
Old 01-28-2010, 03:18 AM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: Panther G

Bob your killing me. I want that Pershing. LOL. The Tiger just has eaten up half my budget for the year and it is still January. LOL
Sorry to put you in agony Greg....LOL

I will be selling another M 26 but it is not as pristine as this one. This is the finest Tamiya FO tank I have ever had for sale. If you are interested in the other one let me know. I also have a K T in the last stages of completion.
I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing the Tiger I in battle.
Here are some pix of the Tiger I and M26 pair I sold as a package last year to a buyer in NYC. I sell about a dozen a year to support my tank habit.
Thanks for the kind words, Bob

Name:	Hf98345.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	1366237   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36940.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	1366238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81813.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	1366239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib82300.jpg
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	1366240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj65669.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	1366241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yp92991.jpg
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	1366242  
Old 01-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Soulfly3

ORIGINAL: thecommander

ORIGINAL: Ern

karel

The Tiger I looks like it is progressing nicely Soulfly.
Karel and Ern are right on the money with those two statements. Never tell the wife how much everything costs. Just the good deals or sell a few things to keep her off your back. As for the battery charging, it will depend on what you do with your tank and how you use it. If you just drive it occasionally then slow charging in the tank is not too bad as long as you keep a wary eye on it. It you battle the tank as I do, you should not use the battery strap and should NEVER charge the battery in the tank. The heat is not good for the battery, the tank electronics, or is a safe thing to do. I have seen batteries catch fire, rupture, leak and melt into the tank plastic. You should always rotate batteries to cool them down between discharge/use and charging. At Danville we have fans and cool the batteries between these cycles. A Tamiya ''Y'' connector will link the DMD & MF but there are other options. Most of us in Danville use Deans connector in lieu of the Tamiya connectors. It is more dependable and secure. The Y connector adds resistance which is no good. I would recommend you splice/solder the two together and add Deans connectors to the new paired +/- leads. It will not void your warranties on the DMD or MF with Tamiya as this is a common practice. If you do damage the DMD or MF by over-charging the battery Tamiya WILL NOT replace them due to miss use/ abuse. Charge your batteries in a cool area clear of flamables. Your workshop and new tank are worth more than a little convienance. A slow charge is much less risky than a fast charge. You only really need one good high capacity battery for your tank. It will need much less attention and 5000 milleamps are readily available. As for removal of the battery for charging and changing it can be easily removed but removing the turret and slipping it out the large turret ring. That way you can secure the tank deck and air hoses. I do recommend you cover the gearboxes to keep oil & lube in and dirt & loose wires out. Point the connector end of the battery away from your gearboxes on any RC tank. If the battery wires get pinched in the brass gears it will set the tank on fire immediately. I always preach about ''Wire Hygene'' and take great care with my builds to keep it neat and safe. The Tiger has a lot of room but some like the M26 Pershing, are real tight.
I wish you luck and enjoy the build, Bob thecommandernj
Where did you get them gear covers?

Thanks!!

I finally got my Tiger 1 running!! that thing is very impressive!! I love it!! Nothing like my HL!! I feel I got my money's worth for sure!!
Old 01-29-2010, 06:13 PM
Jeff489

Those are black capped transmissions from Tamiya, standard on their full option tanks.

Your transmissions look like Type 1 transmissions (also from Tamiya), that are an older design. The black caps have brass gears down toward the final drive where the stress is greatest, and plastic gears up near the motor where the speeds are high (to keep it quiet). Type 1s are just as dependable as the black capped version (in my experience), but will make your tiger run way too fast. Most guys use a 3:1 gear down unit on them to slow them to scale speed, which works real good.

If curious, check out RSEA's thread on his tiger geardown saga. His Tiger has a set just like yours and he installed the geardowns.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:18 PM
thecommander

Those are black capped transmissions from Tamiya, standard on their full option tanks.

Your transmissions look like Type 1 transmissions (also from Tamiya), that are an older design. The black caps have brass gears down toward the final drive where the stress is greatest, and plastic gears up near the motor where the speeds are high (to keep it quiet). Type 1s are just as dependable as the black capped version (in my experience), but will make your tiger run way too fast. Most guys use a 3:1 gear down unit on them to slow them to scale speed, which works real good.

If curious, check out RSEA's thread on his tiger geardown saga. His Tiger has a set just like yours and he installed the geardowns.
Be careful with the early gear boxes. The brass output shaft on the end of the final drive is prone to slipping. It was eliminated on later TUs. Bob, thecommnadernj
Old 01-29-2010, 11:17 PM
Soulfly3

Thanks for the imput guys!
Old 01-30-2010, 10:22 PM
Soulfly3

I did the final test today....it's 98% finished.

Here is a pictures of my HL tiger......which I just realized that the battle unit was never working correctly.....It takes hits but it doesn't shot back. No wonder I was sucking arse at SCAT battle day. I was very dissapointed that day.
Its going back to Phil for repairs.

I'm in love with my tiger!!

All I'm waiting for is my hatch hinges so I can put everything together.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Badgerboy1970

Looks like you did a great job building it. Do you have any paint plans in mind? I love the Tiger I tank I can never get enough of them. Have fun with your new tank!
Old 01-30-2010, 11:09 PM
Soulfly3

As far as paint goes, I'm going to go with that dark yellow(base)/rust-brown/green stripes, I may glue on some tracks on the side of the turret. Dunno yet. But the color is set. I'm really liking this kit!! It rides great!! These tanks are in a class of their own. I been saving money to buy a chunwai Abrams for $1400 bucks....I may just buy two more tamiya tanks instead!! But that all aluminum Abrams looks to be a really nice project too!!

Funny thing is that I never cared for wwII tanks. They are rapidly growing on me!

This is the paint I want for this tank.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:31 PM
Badgerboy1970

Nice! I like that late Tiger camo pattern. Funny, I have always been partial to WWII tanks and vehicles over any other era I think I'm a tank snob, while I own a PIII Heng Long which I'm in the process of upgrading, I still love the Tamiya even though it costs more.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:42 PM
Soulfly3

ORIGINAL: Badgerboy1970

Nice! I like that late Tiger camo pattern. Funny, I have always been partial to WWII tanks and vehicles over any other era I think I'm a tank snob, while I own a PIII Heng Long which I'm in the process of upgrading, I still love the Tamiya even though it costs more.
panzer 3 and 4 are nice.....They have so many after market part for them. If I buy more tamiya thanks....I want a sherman and a king tiger for sure. I'm also interrest in that T-55 if it ever comes out!!

I would like to do a panzer 3 with all asiatam stuff with el mod as my last option.

For now it's all about my tiger.....once I'm done with that one.....I have much sanding to do to that Aluminum abrams.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.