Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Comparing RC tanks Tamiya - Torro Wsn - HL

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Comparing RC tanks Tamiya - Torro Wsn - HL

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 09:09 AM
karel47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comparing RC tanks Tamiya - Torro Wsn - HL

yes compare the price the tamiya DMD and MF costs almost 300€ the WSN tiger FO cost here 68€ everythoing on, the tamiya tiger FO costs 520€ ... the noise of the wsn maybach aren't to bet but it haves no idler noise etc thats treu. Here the tamiya KT, TigerIand the panther they have the same noise identical. In real you can hear the difference between a panther or a king tiger or a tiger I ... thats a huge gap tamiya lacks although the quality is still better but the price is five times better, so it is normal that HL and Torro and WSN have minor defaults don't you think

I own 5 tamiya its not a supertank far from it, the only good thing they are very strong made
Old 01-26-2010, 09:56 AM
Darksheer

Default RE: Comparing RC tanks Tamiya - Torro Wsn - HL

this topic will probably go on untill the world ends in 2012 when tom cruise flies in on the mothership to save the worthy "rolls eyes"

The only certain thing is this

They are all copies "tamiya heng long matorro dragon matchbox and airfix did not invent any of these tanks"

They are all models/toys

They are all fun

We all love building them/running them/modding them

Buy what you can afford and enjoy it

Anything else is really not needed

Tamiya fans will support Tamiya
Heng Long will support Heng Long

and so on

in the end we are model tankers all. Some of us are real tankers as well "tips hat to pattonCommander"
and thats all that matters

my 2 cents
Old 01-26-2010, 09:57 AM
karel47

Yes that's right
Old 01-26-2010, 11:46 AM
HG1980
Banned

tamiya rocks!!
Old 01-26-2010, 11:50 AM
karel47

yes for now but how long it will be, the others come closer
Old 01-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think they'l ever get that close. They will loose half thier customer base because quality costs $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 01-27-2010, 01:52 AM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Tamyia is worth every penny. H L make great tanks and keeps Tamiya on its toes and are fantastic bases for conversions. Bob, thecommandernj
Old 01-27-2010, 01:57 AM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

I want ALL OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-27-2010, 02:13 AM
BiggTony

Is Tamiya truly worth the starting price tag of 500-700+ which doesn't include everything?

I'm not a Tamiya owner, although I do expect to be in the near future. I've just began in this hobby, so forgive my ignorance.

I had a chance to see and hold a Tamiya tank earlier today at a not so local hobby shop. By touch and sight alone of it's interior, the quality was apparent. Maybe I've been spoiled by HL, but for the cost of the tank which doesn't come with everything and you must still build it makes it not so appealing.

Granted, simply because it isn't pre-assembled shouldn't dictate the cost of the tank.......but I can't help to believe, if Tamiya offered RTR 1/16 scale tanks or ARTR, you'll pay for it. So, I think it's safe to assume that Tamiya wantsconsumers to believe that because the tank is not pre-assembled, it's cost beneficial to the consumer.

I do realize that the Tamiya Tanks and most of their non-military armor R/C vehicles are meant to be working models or suit both the model building and RC enthusiast. If HL offeredthe tanks as kits over RTR's with the same price tag, I'dprobably take the kit (of course, because it's at a reasonable price).But like many of us who have a significant other, I too need a convincing reason why it would be worth the lip I'd hear later.

The only reason I really want a Tamiya is because I reallylike the hobbywhich I've begun to develop a passionforand it seems to be a status of ones dedication to the hobby if you own at least one $Tamiya$ or more than 5 Heng Longs. MaybeI'm to fresh into this hobby to truly realize the difference?But honestly, reasoning has the best of me and I just do see any other reason to buy one other than the reason stated.

I'm content with my one HLTiger.........for now.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:40 AM
thecommander

Geess Joe. You are up late tonight....

Hi Dedmonwakin,
Tamiya is going to be offering RTR tanks in the near future. Karen at the AAF Tank Mus. says the will be in excess of $2,000. If you are interested in buying a Tamiya all done, I just listed a all brand new M26 Pershing RTR on Ebay. Radio system batteries and all as a package. It is all new and my pix speak for themselves.

Here is a link for your review

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamiya-NEW-Full-...item35a6adf322
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38216.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1365491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw70939.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	1365492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96278.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	1365493  
Old 01-27-2010, 08:16 AM
Panther G

Yep that is the latest word from Karen. Tamiya plans on selling RTR tanks and they will actually be closer too 3000.00$ so 7 or 8 hundred bucks still is worth the money.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:36 AM
Meller

Hi guys

You can get:
"Fully assembled and ready-to-run large scale radio controlled model tanks from Tamiya's 1/16 Scale Full Option range.
Everything is included to run it straight out of the box.
"

from Tankzone, price tag 699-1099 £!! []

- Meller

Old 01-27-2010, 10:33 AM
googlydoogly

I have a WSN T-34, HL Panzer IV, Stug, and Jagdpanther, I had Matorro King Tiger once (now mated to my old KT Tamiya hull,) and the rest are Tamiyas. While it's true that all of them are FO, Tamiyas are just much much much better than the stock Matorros, WSN, or HLs.

You just gotta try driving a Tamiya. The rest can't even compare. That's why I always wonder when guys say that they own Tamiya tanks but the stock HLs are just as good as a Tamiya (and not the older Tamiyas, but the newer FOs starting with the kit 56010). I'm no RC expert, but even I can tell the vast difference between them.

Maybe with an El-mod, and a host of other upgrades, an HL could come close to a Tamiya. I always wanted an El-mod-equipped tank.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:33 PM
karel47

Yes but my opinion is misunderstood i have new tamiya's and even an porsche turret KT with only the dmd 01 controller and a KT Henshell with clutches they all works very well. But if i see what my new Torro Jagdpanther presents for only 89€ totaly FO, the tracks don't leap of wich my older porsche KT earlier did, this kit cost 530€ then , then i say tamiya is not bad but for the price come on even the newer king tiger have that problem sometime. I have the ardennes FOKT it costed 650€ the noise is good even better than some cheaper tanks. But what you expect for 700€ it has to be good. I runs my torro jagdpanther quite a long time never had problems with the tracks like my five time expensive KT's of tamiya, thats my statement everyone replace track holders back for more tension, i expect when i pay 650€ that it works well and that i don't have to spend money on equipment wich MUST work like it should be....

So what Torro/HL are on the good way, instead of the tamiya jagdpanther you don't have to reinforce the hull for to be stronger, i place the tamiya gun evelation in it so it can move sideways to, it will cost 50€ and his price 89€ against 560€ for tamiya. I've changed the springs to about 12€ yes it rocks as hard as the tamiya one.

I love tamiya but they are not without minor shortcomings wich for the price it is not acceptable

Who agreed now

karel
Old 01-27-2010, 01:41 PM
karel47

Correction ihave3KT'stamiya

KT Porsche Turret
KTHenshell with Clutches
KTHenshell Late Ardennes FO
Sherman M4A4 - 105mm FO
Jagdtiger Conversion 128mm FO
Kubelwagen type 82 RC

Tiger IWSN
Jagdpanther Torro-HL

most of all are shown on my site as karel47
Old 01-27-2010, 01:44 PM
ejwosu

Karel,

Could you please post a picture of the Tamiya gun elevation conversion you did on your HL jagdpanther? I'd like to use it as a reference for afuture project. The lack of horizontal gun movementisoneof thethings about the HL jagdpanther that I would like to fix.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:56 PM
karel47

yes i will do if it gets ready am still working on four project my henshell with clutches, wants it also FO like the rest, much replace work, my second also with the evelation of the jagdpanther tam is the Jagdtiger with a almost 28cm barrel made it in alu but not installed yet. The third project is the Torro jagdpanther and the fourth the wsn, taking to place the rough weldings and the armor plates is my favorite, that let look your model closer to his big brother model
Old 01-27-2010, 02:28 PM
mrunktonkey

ORIGINAL: karel47
I love tamiya but they are not without minor shortcomings wich for the price it is not acceptable
Who agreed now
karel
I’ve never seen a real Tamiya tank either as a kit or a completed model. I’ve seen lotsa pictures posted here by forum members as they share their build experience visually with the rest of the forum. I really enjoy reading those, BTW.
OTOH, I can’t see myself ever spending $700+ for a tank kit. I can’t understand where the value is. You’ve got a bunch of plastic parts, some metal (very few machine parts if you don’t count fasteners) a couple of gear boxes with motors. You have to assemble the thing yourself then buy a radio to run it. Some kits have gun and turret rotation issues besides. $300 tops for a kit with no radio is it for me. What am I missing here?

Cheers, Bob
Old 01-27-2010, 03:13 PM
Dugster

ORIGINAL: mrunktonkey

ORIGINAL: karel47
Who agreed now
karel
I’ve never seen a real Tamiya tank either as a kit or a completed model. I’ve seen lotsa pictures posted here by forum members as they share their build experience visually with the rest of the forum. I really enjoy reading those, BTW. OTOH, I can’t see myself ever spending $700+ for a tank kit. I can’t understand where the value is. You’ve got a bunch of plastic parts, some metal (very few machine parts if you don’t count fasteners) a couple of gear boxes with motors. You have to assemble the thing yourself then buy a radio to run it. Some kits have gun and turret rotation issues besides. $300 tops for a kit with no radio is it for me. What am I missing here?

Cheers, Bob
How are you looking at this? Is it to be used as a plastic model on a shelf or a competition radio controlled vehicle? Spending $700 or more for a RC airplane or car is nothing and every common in those hobbies. The value of anything is subjective. What may be expensive to you may be cheep to me or visa verse.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:00 PM
pattonrocked45

thinking Tamiya here for the first time myself.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Saxondog

What about the hulls Asiatam is producing? My TIGER VI hull is a great base from which to build on.Solid.strong.fine detail.torsion bar suspension,easy access,well laid out componet tray.One issue is the early model air cleaners in take tubes have to be removed to open hull.I have tried to mod these but they just don't look right when the hull is closed you can see the gap.At over 22lb.+ it just goes,track tensioners are a little to high and this could be better,they work ok .Never thrown a track,never bent or broken a control arm,when closed hull is solid,no gaps.If Asiatam can bring down the cost of their other hulls to the level of the Tiger hull all would be good.My 2-cents Saxondog
Old 01-28-2010, 06:46 AM
Shabbernigdo

Im fairly new to RC tanks but i gotta say building the tamiya tiger 1 kit is at least half the fun for me . i like that fact that it comes in like a billion pices.

Just somthing satisfying about being able to say i built it from the ground up out of hundredsof different pices.

I dont feel like i sent to much on it and am quite happy with my purchase if i do get another tank it will also be a tamiya.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:21 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tamiya offers a good product all in one box. You don't have to hunt around and kitbash stuff, or do anything with a soldering iron. Once you own one an build one, you will feel satisfied that you did in fact get value for the money you spent.

The new Heng longs are a good tank as well with the single biggest drawback being the sound system. I wish El mod or somebody would focus on a sound system that would work with an RX18. With an RX 18 and a DBC you get a very low cost ESC, battle system with momentum. All we are missing is a good sound system. I would have thought someone would have been able to build an interface between the HL receiver and RX 18 and some PIC programming(Similar to Davids DBC) that would control a sound board. Davids DBC intercepts the the HL data and then messes with it. Couldn't this same idea be applied to manipulate a sound board??????????? Design it so you can daisy chain it with the DBC and I would take 14!!!!!!!!!

Also if you like to build things, then just strip down a Heng Long, and rebuild it better then stock. That is the most enjoyable part of this hobby for me. You don't have to spend $600 for the priviledge of putting something together. Heng Long/Mato also presents a challenge. Look at what Tailend Charlie is doing with his Sherman. When he gets finished I doubt very much that Mato Sherman will be inferior to any Tamiya. By using some ingenuity and experimentation he will end up with something At least as good as a stock Tamiya and perhaps even better And I bet he finds it fun as well.

So don't try an pigion hole your choice of tank based on this or that. They all offer something that is fun. Keep an open mind and just have fun and buy them all!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2010, 09:33 AM
karel47

yesYHR that's mine opinion to,
sometime ago i was hooked by tamiya but now i have a torro jagdpanther the challenge i far more greater for seek and search the best solution and get an better running tank doing everything better than a stock tamiya and half the price or less
Although i never sell my tamiya they had bring much joy into my live to
Old 01-28-2010, 12:52 PM
mrunktonkey

Well, I’m looking at it from what I think is a fairly objective viewpoint… focusing solely on what are the contents in the box and what do I think they’re worth in relative terms. I see a couple baggies of misc. hardware, maybe a dozen trees of plastic parts… a plastic deck and aluminum tub (maybe), turret and gun, four (?) motors, some wire, MFU and assorted electronic gizmos, two gear boxes and other assorted bits and pieces. All of this in a fancy box with an inst. booklet. I’m not seeing $740 there, folks. (Tower price for a Tiger1)Y'all can allocate your resources any way you want and Icertainly respect that.

Cheers, Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.