Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

IR Battling Accuracy

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:20 AM
Shabbernigdo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: IR Battling Accuracy

it looks cool but personally i enjoy watching the tank function. IE turret traverse / suspension articulate as it goes over obsticles etc tec.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:34 AM
oztruck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome Masamichi Mori, I like what you have done, It looks and works very well.
I see you use lasers, Looks like it gives better accuracy than IR, Can you inform me what type of laser sender and receiver you are using. Any information would be of great help
Old 02-08-2010, 08:08 AM
Panzer Warriors

Hi OZTRUCK,

The laser pointer module we are using is http://akizukidenshi.com/catalog/g/gM-01091/ [sorry, all in Japanese]. The laser and IR are syncronized but only IR is being used for battling. The reason it looks accurate is that both laser an IR come out of gun barrel.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:28 AM
Panzer Warriors

Forgot to mention one important thing. We also split IR receiver to 4 seperate sensors and installed inside the tank body, one per side, front, left, right, and rear, for each tank, except Tiger I and Jagdpanther which do not have sensor at front. 

The photos in http://panzerwarriors.blogspot.com/2...post_2758.html show IR sensor positions on Tiger I body.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:40 PM
oztruck

Thank you, very informative.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:12 PM
siam

Hi oztruck,
    You and me had discussed about using wireless cameras in rc.tank and its trouble about interference last time, now I think we could work it out!!!  Mori san (mr. Mori) had taught me his onboard cameras arrangement and I found that he has 2 criterias ,wireless camera and wired cameras and both work but the later one is  the same way that people using in FPV rc.planes ,and yes I am making 2 prototype tanks by this way.
   Anytime I ask Mori san about the FPV rc.tank IR battle ,he always explain deeply in details. I am sure he will do it to all rc.tankers too.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:40 AM
siam

Hi all,
    I am going to install 2 wired cameras, one on the barrel to make it easy for target aiming and another one on the front hull for driving.
I think these positions will be the most proper positions for 2 guys one tank operation,isn't it?
    How do you think? Any other proper positions please suggest.
Thanks,
Siam

Old 03-01-2010, 10:07 AM
tigrotto1a6

Using something similar to this: http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=175 you can use 2 cameras (same voltage) in a tank and you can select what camera are you using (if you are alone), so, with one you drive, then us the other for fighting.
The selection is through a free rc channel.
The FPV possibilities are very high, almost all are used for airplanes.
Welcome Masamichi Mori, probably you missed a mail I sent you (using the contact on your site) requesting info for laser pointing.
You just answered here, so, thanks for the explanation.
I'm searching a solution for big scale tanks that must fight outdoor and with more space between them, so the IR is almost unreliable and the targeting cone is too wide. Laser could help, but needs bigger sensors all over the tank or it is impossible to hit it.
Few things I learned about FPV:
High power and high frequency are not very good for ground usage because of ground and obstacle echoes. Sometimes lower frequencies (also if with lower power) can solve the problem. Normally the FPV frequencies are 900MHz, 1.2GHz and 2.4GHz. Some are legal, some not, also the power is linked to legal limitations by country laws.
FPV cameras are a lot.
Different resolution, different optics (and some with interchangeable optics to increase/decrease angle of view), different light sensitivity and so on.
The best one I saw (and I bought) is the dx201 that is a WDR (wide dynamic range) camera. The image is adjusted for light compensation in each image section to have all sections visible in all conditions (no foreground/background parts will be dark).
Also they differs for voltage, there are 3.3V cameras, 5V cameras, 6 to 12V and others maybe.
Dimensions, they can stay on a finger tip or maybe bigger, resolution also varies from 320*240 to more, few are also HD.

In some configurations you can use a movable camera, it can use one or 2 channels or be completely standalone system. It can have tilt and pan feature, one of them or both, and you can usa also the head movements to move the camera (head tracking).
To see images a little LCD with AV in, video goggles, laptop or netbook, or a simple TV with AV in, in some cases those devices can also record the videos directly.

About antennas, there is more to say, for flight (maybe useless for us) there are tracking patch antennas that will capture the signal pointing on the model antenna.
Every (or almost all  I saw) transmitter have a channel selection for frequency, maybe 4 or 6, or also 8 depending on models.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:24 AM
siam

Wow  your information is so practically informative really, Andrew
         My 2 Heng Long prototype tanks will be equipped with 1.2GHz 15 channel TXs  and on the control boards I will use RXs connected with TV screens, and about the remotes I'll provide 2 sets per tank.
         In the battle game I'll plan to use many bands such as 900,1.2,2.4.5.8.....multichannel TXs RXs and yes I'll try channel 1,3,5,7,9,11,13.,15...or 2,4,6,8,10,12,14 to avoid interferences.
         Meantime my expereince is zero, but I 'll try and I 'll tell you all my fault if i would make surely.
Bye,
Samattapol
Old 03-03-2010, 01:00 AM
tigrotto1a6

Pay attention to 5.8GHz, maybe it will makes a lot of noise due to the ground and obstacle echoes, it is an high frequency, all obstacles can disturb the signal.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:23 AM
siam

Hi tigrotto 1a6
   Thanks a lot, I 'll start with 1.2GHz firstly, my first two prototypes will be ready to test within next 3 weeks, I'll post in this web board as soon as
possible.
Bye,
Samattapol
Old 03-03-2010, 02:24 AM
thedonut

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: siam

Hi tigrotto 1a6
Thanks a lot, I 'll start with 1.2GHz firstly, my first two prototypes will be ready to test within next 3 weeks, I'll post in this web board as soon as
possible.
Bye,
Samattapol
1.2GHz is okay. That's what I use.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:05 AM
tigrotto1a6

900 is also better for our usage, but a little bit difficult to find. 1.2GHz is not good if you are using GPS in the vicinity of the antenna, one of GPS receiver frequency is 1.2GHz
Old 03-07-2010, 12:20 AM
siam

Thanks gentlemen,
    All of the multichannel AV transmitters receiveres will be chinese products,900GHz,1.2MHz,2.4MHz and also 5.8GHz. I 've heard many bad things about the chinese products but we 'll surely find out soon, by the way I won't use the GPS coz the tank battle field is just about 50 metres by 50 metres.
 Bye,
Samattapol