Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

IR Battling Accuracy

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 01:31 PM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Default IR Battling Accuracy

Take a look at how accurate the IR firing has to be to hit a tank by Panzer Warriors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfz9H...ayer_embedded#

Looks like a laser pointer type directed at individual sensors.

Quite interesting.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: IR Battling Accuracy

Their battle layout was the first I ever heard about while searching the Internet. It's more like a video game than actually enjoying the tanks themselves and the camaraderie that comes with it.

- Jeff
Old 01-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They were using a laser pointing device triggered with the gun. You still have to be fairly accurate even though the IR beam is quite a bit larger than a laser, you still have to get on target.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:02 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right on! Very nice. That's the way RC tank battles should be...not jumping back & forth like a sports car and "fanning' to get a hit.
Much more realistic. That segment showed me how rusty my Japanese is..taihen wasuremasu.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:32 PM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't like that idea for battle.... much more fun being there with all the action hapening all around you... this way shown in the video you mi das well just play a video game that's just what it is like.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:21 PM
pattoncommander

The system is simply attempting to put more realism into the action. All I am seeing in RC tank "warfare" is guys running the tanks at totally unrealistic speeds, (both tank and turret traverse), using maneuvers the tanks would never be able to perform and fanning or getting a similar "general direction" shots to get a kill. A system such as this would require the person at the controls to be much more precise at engaging an enemy tank and be more attentive to tank speed and movement to attain a hit....just like a 1;1 scale.

Better would be a 2 man system...one for tank commander/driver and one for gunner, gearing tanks down to realistic speeds and eliminating pivots. That would teach RC tankers a lot about actual tank operations and it would wind up being a skill and training activity and still be a lot of fun.

The system shown, judging from tank movements and carefull maneuvering is trying to get there but with a one man system. You can stilll run the tank looking at it on the field, but for accurate main gun use, view through the gunner's (monitor) sights. You can still see a lot more than a WW II gunner looking thrugh a 1x 6 inch periscope head and reading a ranging reticle.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Panther F

It would be hard for two people to practise with one tank to become effective enough with that (2 men to a tank) system. It is what it is, a game using R/C tanks ... and it isn't really realistic either. Do you really think a 105MM Sherman can go toe-to-toe with a KT and escape just before the final shot on his TBU? Plus, not everyone is going to have their tanks outfitted with the same equipment as the next guy does. The fan shot is a creation of what you've got ... a toy.

I do applaud them for what they have created though. A lot of money and work on the tanks have been made to make this work. AND everyone must comply too.

- Jeff
Old 01-27-2010, 08:31 PM
Panther G

It looks like fun to me but I still prefer the conventional way. But it would be cool to have a camera in the gun sight and a miny monitor you could atatch too the transmitter.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:36 PM
Panther F

The actual "battling" looks like cats chasing mice around and around and around. Not really tank battling but they have fun and I guess that's what's important.

- Jeff
Old 01-28-2010, 12:01 AM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: Panther G

It looks like fun to me but I still prefer the conventional way. But it would be cool to have a camera in the gun sight and a miny monitor you could atatch too the transmitter.
Hi Greg,
I have used and sold many mini camera sytems. I have alo mounted a monitor atop a transmitter. It is a pisser to drive. I have also done an entire tank battle via the camera atop my Panther.

Here are some pix and a video for you guys to review. Bob, thecommandernj

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivDNOPrNXUE
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24807.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1366193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96141.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1366194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75240.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1366195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn32617.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	1366196  
Old 01-28-2010, 04:44 AM
oztruck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me it is far more realistic to do battle with RC tanks through the eyes of the driver/gunner as apposed to a helicopter pilots view. Great idea using smoke to restrict the viewable distance and to highlight to line of fire. Well done IMO
Old 01-28-2010, 07:57 PM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: oztruck

To me it is far more realistic to do battle with RC tanks through the eyes of the driver/gunner as apposed to a helicopter pilots view. Great idea using smoke to restrict the viewable distance and to highlight to line of fire. Well done IMO
Hi Oz,
It is very realistic to drive that way. If you watch my youtube video I can been seen just ater the begining at the Tv in the upper RH corner of the video. If you ever make it to Danville I'll gladly let you try my wireless video system on your tank. It is a great persspective and the closest you may ever get to being a tank commander. I have tried both the driver only view and the commander. It is very hard to find targets as the driver since the field of view is so limited peripherally. Atop the turret from the comm, perch you can scan the battlefield by traversing. If you ever make it to the AAF Tank Museum for a battle weekend I'll loan you try my wireless video system atop your tank. It is a pisser. I have hours and hours of video and just not enough time to edit and post it all. I love building, modifying and painting the tanks so much more.
As for the smoke, at Danville we have two smoke generators to add realism to the battes. Just ask Doug, I can always be found hitting the buttons for more smoke. I also enjoy the night battles. We even have blue lights to add more effects. One evening as we were pouring out the smoke it made erie trails in the sky over the battlfield. It looked as if the planes over the battlefield were having a firefight. Every RC tanker has to check this place out at least once.
Bob, thecommandernj
Old 01-28-2010, 08:02 PM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: thecommander

ORIGINAL: oztruck

Hi Oz,
It is very realistic to drive that way. If you watch my youtube video I can been seen just ater the begining at the Tv in the upper RH corner of the video. If you ever make it to Danville I'll gladly let you try my wireless video system on your tank. It is a great persspective and the closest you may ever get to being a tank commander. I have tried both the driver only view and the commander. It is very hard to find targets as the driver since the field of view is so limited peripherally. Atop the turret from the comm, perch you can scan the battlefield by traversing. If you ever make it to the AAF Tank Museum for a battle weekend I'll loan you try my wireless video system atop your tank. It is a pisser. I have hours and hours of video and just not enough time to edit and post it all. I love building, modifying and painting the tanks so much more.
As for the smoke, at Danville we have two smoke generators to add realism to the battes. Just ask Doug, I can always be found hitting the buttons for more smoke. I also enjoy the night battles. We even have blue lights to add more effects. One evening as we were pouring out the smoke it made erie trails in the sky over the battlfield. It looked as if the planes over the battlefield were having a firefight. Every RC tanker has to check this place out at least once.
Bob, thecommandernj
Here are the pix...Damned thunbs

Name:	Ge95837.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1366772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25546.jpg
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	1366773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96701.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1366774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fy72758.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	1366775  
Old 01-30-2010, 06:25 AM
oztruck

Here you go. This will give you an idea of just how hard it would be if cameras were used. You can't see over buildings or around corners or even what's behind you. It would add a level of realism that might get the adrenaline going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYK6HUbA-nk
Old 01-30-2010, 08:14 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a camera mounted on my Bulldog, and agree it is much more realistic not having a bird's eye view. You really don't know what is around the next corner. I have been looking for a quality monitor that is portable though, and have yet to find one. If anyone has a lead on a portable LCD monitor that you can hook up to a TV feed from these wireless camera, I sure would like to hear about it.

Thanks
Old 01-30-2010, 11:53 AM
Panther G

Yeah I have seen your video's Bob and I think they are very cool. It would be nice too see what the gunner would see so you can be more accurate with your aiming points. Sometimes it is hard to tell if you are actually on target. This may seem as an unfair advantage to some but it would still be very cool.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:38 PM
goldminer7759

YHR With a simple and cheap video converter device you can use a laptop as a viewer. Also gives a simple option for digital recording ect. There is another simple device that allows you to split the screen and view the input from two cameras at the same time. This would allow the drivers view and the gunners view at the same time. I have seen these on Ebay and raidentech. Outside of the laptop you can do this for two wireless cams 39.95/each and 4ch USB DVR Box 34.95. For less than $120.00 +/- shipping gives a cool perspective to tank driving. The only trick is how and where you mount the cameras and the 9 volt batteries that power them.
To me this was the best solution since I already had the laptop for other reasons.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:52 AM
siam

Hi ,
  The japanese gentleman name mr. Masamichi Mori is the owner of that panzerwarriors channel, about october last year I asked him about the
battles he told me that  they are playing the battles both 2 controllers and 1 controller per tank, and please notice that there are about 8 tanks in a battle so it means  that he has to  have many channels working in the same place and time and he could solve the signal interference problem too.
   So far every time I asked him any question ,he always kindly answered with clear details so I think he would do it again .
Samattapol
Old 01-31-2010, 08:27 AM
pattoncommander

Here's a good one I have in my Stuart. Minicam in the drivers seat, battery in BOG and the transmitter set up with 9v battery. Works great, got it at Radio Shack. Monitor measures 4 x 7.5 inches. Would like to add a seperate minicam for the TC, but understand there are some frequency and distance issues.

Name:	yw66959.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	619.1 KB
ID:	1368553   Click image for larger version

Name:	ol31396.jpg
Size:	610.3 KB
ID:	1368554  
Old 01-31-2010, 08:28 AM
pattoncommander

oops...got the wrong pic..[&:].here's the whole setup.

Name:	db84120.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	389.5 KB
ID:	1368555  
Old 01-31-2010, 08:52 AM
pattoncommander

Nice video Oztruck.....very realistic, like having your head glued to an old 1 x 6 inch periscope head bouncing across the field, although this looks like a German driver's view. With a system like this, one can appreciate the tank crew's restrictions and also account for so many bent or missing track guards (fenders). What is needed is a seperate cam for the TC to iliminate the helicopter pilot's view and cheating ("haha I see you but you can't shoot me now ") on the RC battlefield.

This would require communication between freindly tank crews as to enemy location & tactics and subsequently rely on skill & practice as opposed to jumping out for a lucky fan shot then skooting back behind a hill or building and watch your enemy movements from above. It would absolutely change some persective on TC tank operation and add a lot of realism. Not cool at all to round a corner and be looking at an enemy tank muzzle. Tank sections communicating and working as a team can prevent that, but it requires a separation of the individual ego and working as a unified team. What would be needed then is the temperature, noise and fume smells. Let the Japanese work on it a while...it will be eventually here.

I have seen James' Kubelwagen and tank with minicam at Danville and it runs really neat. That little Kubelwagen with camera is a wicked recon vehicle and fast. [>:]
Old 02-02-2010, 12:32 PM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Actually, for those that like the "heli-view" of the battlefield a secondary battlefield overview camera or second person can 'spot' battlefield action/positions, simulating the radar and tracking characteristics of tanks (particularly modern tanks).
Old 02-02-2010, 10:35 PM
oztruck

Looking out of the gunners position on a PzIII

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r...ntankcam-1.flv
Old 02-02-2010, 10:43 PM
oztruck

Here are the cameras

The spot light is a camera on the bulldog

They are a lot of fun and NOTHING like a computer game
Old 02-08-2010, 05:22 AM
Panzer Warriors

Hi,

My name is Masamichi Mori from Panzer Warriors RC Tank Club located in Tokyo, Japan. I've been introduced this forum by my friend SIAM.

We've been enjoy playing rc tank battles every month with our tanks equipped with wireless ccd cameras. Please be invited to our web site http://www.geocities.jp/panzer_warriors/ , blog site http://panzerwarriors.blogspot.com/ and Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/panzerwarriors.

Regards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.