Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Mato sherman (cooked board?)

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Mato sherman (cooked board?)

Old 02-03-2010, 10:02 PM
harryfish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mato sherman (cooked board?)

I've had the sherman since jan.22 was running strong then the smell, smelled like cooked electronics.
Now only one track moves, what are my options? can i use the HL rx18 with the stock mato radio/receiver?

thanks
Old 02-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Mato sherman (cooked board?)

No, sounds like you need a new board, sorry.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:33 PM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have an old TK-RX13 board you can swap out the transistors. We did it with one of ours to get it running again. Just need to replace the pair from the side which controls the track that's not moving.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:20 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IF you change to a Heng long board, then you will have to use a Heng Long radio. The Mato electronics are questionable. Kind of Like Heng Long a few years ago.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:37 PM
harryfish

ORIGINAL: swathdiver

If you have an old TK-RX13 board you can swap out the transistors. We did it with one of ours to get it running again. Just need to replace the pair from the side which controls the track that's not moving.

thanks guys for the reply, and if i don't have an old board?

A good electronic shop should have the transistors?

also any tricks to opening this thing?

any pics of the board and the fix?

thx[8D]
Old 02-05-2010, 02:28 PM
swathdiver

You can buy them online for about $6 each or so. There are pictures of the board on my build pages and others like The Blitz have better ones. I was unable to remove the transistors using the soldering iron alone, I bought a solder sucker which did the job.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I bought a solder sucker which did the job.
A desoldering iron with the vacuum plunger? A 'solder sucker' sounds like he belongs to the vampire line.

- Jeff
Old 02-05-2010, 08:07 PM
harryfish

You can buy them online for about $6 each or so. There are pictures of the board on my build pages and others like The Blitz have better ones. I was unable to remove the transistors using the soldering iron alone, I bought a solder sucker which did the job.

do you have any links? and is it a good idea to mount a fan on the board like the henglong's ?
Old 02-05-2010, 11:01 PM
Saxondog

For 32.00 you could convert to RX18 AND STOCK RECEIVER BOARD,But that is only half the components needed.Transmitter,connector cables,Does MATOMART sell the individual parts? My reasoning is if this happened,what else may be effected? First you need to understand why this happened? Did you lock up a track? I'm no expert,but the reason for this board to fail has to be determined if possible,other wise whats to keep it from happening again.Swathdiver has a good suggestion,but after the purchase of the parts and tools how close are you to replacing the board? Saxondog
Old 02-05-2010, 11:13 PM
Saxondog

I just searched Matomart,Torro,Wsn,Trumpeter,Motorro,web site and spare parts are not listed,only the rx13 board.I don't know what you should do.Sure sucks as the Sherman is an expensive tank and should have spare parts after all the build up to it's release.Contact Phil (the blitz) and see if he can guide you to the parts you need to repair or replace. http://www.rctankwars.com/ If you resolve this issue,post the information so others can find a solution,good luck.Saxondog
Old 02-05-2010, 11:37 PM
blitzkrieg65

ORIGINAL: SAXONDOG

I just searched Matomart,Torro,Wsn,Trumpeter,Motorro,web site and spare parts are not listed,only the rx13 board.I don't know what you should do.Sure sucks as the Sherman is an expensive tank and should have spare parts after all the build up to it's release.Contact Phil (the blitz) and see if he can guide you to the parts you need to repair or replace. http://www.rctankwars.com/ If you resolve this issue,post the information so others can find a solution,good luck.Saxondog
Yep these boards are not worth repairing, the cost for use to buy one compenent is almost the cost of a complete board. I will have at least one replacement board availible next week, I have a few coming! And there will be more they just have to get caught up with demand!

The Blitz

RCTankWars.com
Old 02-06-2010, 06:05 PM
harryfish

I'm thinking you have a good idea. Are you saying keep the mato stock receiver? Will it be compatible with the HL gear?

Thx
Old 02-06-2010, 06:13 PM
harryfish

what's the price on a new mato board? And can you give me a price to replace everything to HL.
like-Transmitter,connector cables,rx18,receiver, etc.

If you want you can pm me with the info....

Thx
Old 02-14-2010, 10:12 PM
harryfish

Still need help with my lemon or aka mato sherman...

Here's a pic of the board, can anyone tell me what transistors need to be replaced?
I'd like to fix the tank as cheap as possible, but if i have to go HL so be it.
Don't get me wrong i loved this tank while it ran, more so than my HL tiger.
It actually ran a lot long then the tiger, and did not need to opened before the first run.

thx

edit: can anyone tell me what the red light is for?
Old 02-15-2010, 10:19 AM
YHR

The best thing about this board is the removable sound cob. Unplug the Sherman sounds and then plug in a Tiger sounds when required. THe sounds when run through a good speaker, are better then Heng Long. The board was a good design, but poorly executed at the manufacturing level

There are four power transisters in the lower middle. Left foward, left reverse, right forward, right reverse, not neccesarily in that order.

If I were you I would write a note to Mato, and let them know that the board failed. You might find you get a replacement sent to you. If not PM me, as I have one of these boards kicking around

I have been converting mine to HL stuff because my need for IR .

Dan
Old 02-15-2010, 03:46 PM
swathdiver

Looking at your pic jogged my failing memory!

Next to the red wire are two connectors. Behind each are 2 black transistors and behind them the "chocolate bar" which controls them. I not only had to replace the transistors from the side that blew but also the "chocolate bar" to get it running again. In the past we priced these at about $20 in the USA which was hardly worth the effort to repair them since the HL boards at the time were only $13. I have two 1-gallon zip lock bags full of blown boards that get plundered to keep others running.

These Mato Mart electronics were intended to be "limited standard" and only used for 2-3 releases until replaced with superior IR battling electronics. You might just switch over to the TK-RX18 and get the radial engine sounds version if possible as it matches the R975C4 in this sherman.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:08 PM
harryfish

hey thanks guys for your feedback and help, YHR i did what you said and sent mato an email. I'm not expecting them to come threw, but i might be wrong.

YHR, just wondering if you can let everyone and myself know how you incorporated the rx-18 into the sherman. (details please)

thx
Old 02-15-2010, 11:48 PM
YHR

I am refitting a Mato Sherman right now. When it comes time to rewire it, I will post pictures for you.

I also have to show how to refit the Heng Long recoil for more barrel travel.

So I will do another Mato Sherman thread starting this week sometime.

Dan
Old 03-14-2010, 01:33 PM
harryfish

Well, YHR was nice enough to send me a replacement board to fix my tank. Now i'm pulling my hair trying too trouble shoot my problem.
The tank now has a pulse (hesitating on and off) after about 10 min. of run time. I've tried a few things like running the tank with the bottom hull only and the tank does not have the pulse? So i checked all my connection and all is good. I also removed the on/off switch, still not the problem. Man this is so frustrating[sm=confused_smile.gif]

I was thinking it was a heat issue but then the tank should have the same problem when i run it without the top hull?
I say this because the transistor that failed in the first place get so hot that you can not hold your finger on them for more then a couple seconds. I did try and mount a fan, but with the battery box there's no room.

If anyone has a clue as to what might be the problem please let me know thanks.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:59 PM
YHR

Maybe you got some wires shorting out somewhere. You may have to trace all the wires and inspect them for damage. Remove the tape so you can see each and every one.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:16 PM
Turbobearcat

So far no problems with mine outside of loosing the end cap on my tracks.. I need to find a replacement or spare links so if it happens again I have a replacement.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:25 PM
1sgt

ORIGINAL: Turbobearcat

So far no problems with mine outside of loosing the end cap on my tracks.. I need to find a replacement or spare links so if it happens again I have a replacement.

You should have some spare tracks and end couplers in your accessory box. Jim
Old 03-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Turbobearcat

I do but my point is, I need to know how to get more if the next one comes off and can't be found
Old 03-15-2010, 01:54 PM
1sgt

ORIGINAL: Turbobearcat

I do but my point is, I need to know how to get more if the next one comes off and can't be found

I see, did you ask Mato in your email about aditional track and conectors? On my Sherman, I was missing the MG barrel lock and tail light brush guards. I emailed them and they sent them free. I hope you have similar luck.

Jim
Old 03-15-2010, 08:55 PM
harryfish

ORIGINAL: YHR

Maybe you got some wires shorting out somewhere. You may have to trace all the wires and inspect them for damage. Remove the tape so you can see each and every one.

I've done that three times now. Wish i did not have to spend 80$ to replace all the electronics, should of waited for the HL sherman. []

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.