Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Elmod, What do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 05:46 AM
smokinbarracuda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elmod, What do I need?

Guys, I hope you can help, I'm sure you can, I'm seriously considering installing elmod in my M1A1 with heng long electronics. I'm just not sure what items I need. First of all, would I keep the rx18 and remaining HL electronics or would that be replaced? I don't need the battle system as I have no one to battle against unfortunately. Most importantly though I'm looking for better sound and the capability to run 8.4v or higher without blowing anything. I also intend to use the HL high intensity flash and a modified recoil system.

Lastly, Im in the UK so where would I get the best deal?

Thank you

Gareth
Old 03-18-2010, 07:42 AM
bigskydude

Default RE: Elmod, What do I need?

I would talk to Phil at RCtankwars(.com)....he's over here in the USA, but I think it would be worth your while as he's really up-to-snuff on elmod and offers great product support. Make sure you ask him about the new elmod gear that's about to come out....it would suck to buy what is out there now and in a couple weeks all new stuffcomes out(that would be my luck).....you could run your rx-18(I already checked into this aseveral months ago), but tobe honest for what your gonna spend on elmod you'd be better off to buy a newtransmitter(Phil has somenice "DX" series that he sells).and get the wholething elmoded out...

If your trying to go on the cheap then your best bang-for the-buck would be a Creeping Death sound module(called the "Thunder One"), then you could use the factory radio and stuff....
Old 03-18-2010, 08:41 AM
borealis

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The creepingdeath module on an Abrams?
I don't think it would recall a gas turbine....
Old 03-18-2010, 12:58 PM
jakeand

"First of all, would I keep the rx18 " I dont think this is possible, if you want this: "capability to run 8.4v or higher without blowing anything"
"you'd be better off to buy a new transmitter" Good adwise by DH, in my humble opinion

Regards

Jake
Old 03-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the need to run 8.4 volts in the first place. Nothing HL will last at that voltage period. The Elmod does not even use 8.4 volts. My guess is you have some 7 cell packs and dont want too have to buy new battteries. Huhh Huh. Seriously, The Elmod system would be your best option hands down, since they are really the only choice for an Abrams. As far as the battle system goes, the way I see it for the few extra bucks your saving not getting it is not worth it. You just never know whether there may be a fellow tanker lurking just around the corner. what are you going to do when all your buddies see it and just have too have one. Then all you can do is shoot spit balls at eachother with out a battle system .LOL
Old 03-19-2010, 07:41 AM
smokinbarracuda

basically i just want more speed and power. I thought i read somewhere that elmod can handle higher voltages? So the elmod components replace all the hl components? I already assumed i would have to go the full elmod route. Could i still use the hl tx and rx to keep costs down? The battle system is something i may consider down the line but for the time being i just want a realistic functioning abrams
Old 03-19-2010, 01:58 PM
jakeand

"basically i just want more speed and power"

If you have special demands...Check with Phil "The Blitz" at www.rctankwars.com or Thomas at El-Mod

"I thought i read somewhere that elmod can handle higher voltages?"

Max voltage in is 12 Volt. Max voltage at motors is depending on your setup. Check: http://www.el-mod.de/index.php?langu...84ef388bda3ca6

"So the elmod components replace all the hl components?"

If you use a prop radio and reciever(Futaba, Spektrum or other) : Yes it will replace the RX18 and the TK-YL101 card. If you use a HL Radio: No, and you will also need a "ThinkTank HLAdapter" to connect RX18 to El-Mod

Regads

Jake
Old 03-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More speed does not equal more power. Lower gear ratios get you more power. Voltage aint got nuthin to do with it. Get 3:1 gear boxes and use Speed 400 motors. That is the tried and true method. And the most reliable.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:14 AM
smokinbarracuda

Ok I think I've got it now. Thanks for bearing with me, electronics ain't my strong point! Obviously I don't want to use the rx18 as it will blow but if I use the HL adapter why would I need to use it anyway as doesn't the thinktank module replace it? Anyway, to cut to the point if I ditch the rx18, I need to go full elmod including new tx and receiver because the HL tx and receiver are only compatible with the rx18 right?

I'm actually already running 400 size motors with original metal boxes and do get quite a bit of power, I guess Im more interested in speed. If I up the voltage with bigger motors and find it is too fast I can always install 3:1's and then I get more torque as well. Right, better start saving my pennies as if I'm correct I will need a new tx and receiver, thinktank module, blaster module, flash adapter module, not to mention new 8.4v batteries and larger motors. Missing anything?
Old 03-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

ORIGINAL: smokinbarracuda

Ok I think I've got it now. Thanks for bearing with me, electronics ain't my strong point! Obviously I don't want to use the rx18 as it will blow but if I use the HL adapter why would I need to use it anyway as doesn't the thinktank module replace it? Anyway, to cut to the point if I ditch the rx18, I need to go full elmod including new tx and receiver because the HL tx and receiver are only compatible with the rx18 right?

I'm actually already running 400 size motors with original metal boxes and do get quite a bit of power, I guess Im more interested in speed. If I up the voltage with bigger motors and find it is too fast I can always install 3:1's and then I get more torque as well. Right, better start saving my pennies as if I'm correct I will need a new tx and receiver, thinktank module, blaster module, flash adapter module, not to mention new 8.4v batteries and larger motors. Missing anything?
Correct. The Elmod either runs by itself, meaning elmod+aftermarket TX+ aftermarket RX, or with a hl adaptor you can use your existing hl tx/rx and rx-13,14, and 18 hl board, and by the way running it with the original hl electronics shouldn't burn out the board it is only used as a go between so you can use the original heng long radio, most if not all of the work is taken off the rx-13,14 ,18 board and used by the elmod unit. Hope this helps

Cheers,
Wade
Old 03-21-2010, 09:44 AM
smokinbarracuda

Thanks Wade, very interesting. This could be the way to go then as the HL adapter is quite cheap compared to getting new radio gear and I could always upgrade in the future. If the higher voltages won't affect the rx18 in this setup then I reckon I'm good.

Ok, shopping list as it stands:

Tamiya Leopard plastic tracks
Abrams sprockets (From tankzone/afv hull)
High intensity flash unit
Thinktank module
Blaster module with abrams sounds
Flash adapter module (Would I still need this if I'm keeping rx18?)
HL adapter module
2x 8.4 or 9.6v high capacity packs
2x 480 size 8.4v motors

Will have to save more than pennies at this rate! I wonder if it would be cheaper to order in bulk from the states less the batteries and motors of course. Do rccommand or rctankwars ship to the UK?

Thanks again to all. This will be a badass M1 when finished!