Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Alternatives To HL Turret Elevation?

Alrighty, it's apparent that I am poor at planning ahead. I'm in the process of converting my Tiger I into the initial production 502 spzabt. Got my stowage bins nearly complete, already began the process of removing the mud guards.........then absolutely forgot that a portion of the elevation unit is housed in the factory stowage bin. Epic failure. Good thing I haven't started cutting the stowage bin out.

Anyone with solutions to either repositioning or fabricating an alternative elevation unit that doesn't need to be partially housed in the factory stowage bin?
    Need Tamiya 1/35 T72-M1 (model) instruction manual. Please contact me if you either have no use for it or can make a copy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Alternatives To HL Turret Elevation?

Hi

The Panther G, Jagdpanther and Stug III all use a side mounting elevation unit simlar to the Tamiya one (and in my use a lot stronger than the Tamiya one). You could use this and mounting it would not be too much of an issue. Mato, rccommand and various other sellers have them listed.

Hope this helps

Gorehound

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks alot gorehound,

Does the elevation unit need any other mechanism to be attached to the airsoft unit other than the swing arm that's already attached to the elevation unit?

Anyone happen to have pictures of this elevation unit attached to the airsoft unit?
    Need Tamiya 1/35 T72-M1 (model) instruction manual. Please contact me if you either have no use for it or can make a copy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's a pic of the elevation unit on the Panther G... the tan piece rotates inside of the black piece attached to the side of the airsoft gun...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw66532.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	1373379   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fk17710.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	1373380  
    Creeping Death Tiger, Creeping Death PzIII, Matorro King Tiger, HL Panther G, HL Tiger, (4) VSTank*R, Tamiya RC Kubelwagen

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ern thanks a whole heap!

My mind is still trying to wrap around the idea of that arm rotating within that bracket. But, I'll see if Phil has that unit with it attached.

Thanks again!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Panther G component selection sounds like good advice. I am actually doing the same thing with my son's Tiger 1. I am converting to recoil using a spare I ordered from Mato along with the side mount elevation unit used in the Panther G. A custom early mantle, barrel, muzzle, recoil interface and true Tiger 1 gun trunions should do it. I hope.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Ern,since I have not cracked open my Jagdpanther can I assume it has the same elevation unit as The Panther-g ?  And on another note Sarah was in Nashville this weekend.Supper,fantastic,lady.
    Saxondog-derogatory term for anglosaxon people often characterized by a heavy build and long brown wavy hair.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: gorehound

Hi

The Panther G, Jagdpanther and Stug III all use a side mounting elevation unit simlar to the Tamiya one
    Looks like the Jagd has it too Sax... [sm=thumbs_up.gif] for SP in Nashville!
    Creeping Death Tiger, Creeping Death PzIII, Matorro King Tiger, HL Panther G, HL Tiger, (4) VSTank*R, Tamiya RC Kubelwagen

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry, the Jagd does not have it as standard - my mistake. I converted my one to use the side mounting one though as it worked better for what I was trying to do.

cheers
    Gorehound

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

I have the channel made, but it's not strong enough to elevate and lower it. The gears keep trying to strip.

Anyone who has modified their tiger to use this elevation unit. Please give me some help!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Howabout the asiatam recoil unit?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, not quite ready to make that transition into ir/recoil units. I'm the lonesome tanker here in these parts. so I'd like to keep the airsoft unit for now.

I think I'm doing something wrong. Either the channel is too wide or too high. Same with the elevation unit.
    The think is, since I've hacked that stowage bin off, this reduces the length of the turret and the area which used to house the old elevation unit.

The placement requires the new elevation unit to be a little closer to the front, decreasing leverage and increasing resistance.
    I'm not sure if the the tanks that use the side elevation unit still utilize the counter spring that keep the airsoft unit pressed up. This is what is causing some serious resistance.

I've made a smaller tight fitting channel that the arm can glide through without the need for a spring, but now this requires me to mount the elevation unit higher.....therefore making it impossible for me to screw the bottom of the turret on.

Obviously there must be a G spot on this baby and I need the virgins guide to find it!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Come on.....I'm seeing some master builders and geniuses viewing this thread!!! Don't leave without solution!!! lol
    Don't turn your back on me..........."I got no where else to go! I got no where else to gooooOOOOO" ~ An Officer AndA Gentleman

Haven't been gettin much sleep!

Edit: This would probably be most helpful. The distance the side elevation unit should be height and length from a determined area of the airsoft of HL recoil unit. What type of mounting bracket for the elevation unit as well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just gutted my HL Pershing and started another Tamlong conversion. Got the gun recoil and mantlet assembly all done. just not sure how i want to use for elevation. i could go the safe route and just spend the cash for a Tamiya elevation unit but the turret designs are quite different between the Tamiya and HL. Been considering a mini servo set up. Any one have any expierience with this mod?
    Tamiya Panther G, HL/Tamiya TigerI, WSN/HL T-34/85, WSN/Tamiya T-34/85, WSN/HL DBCRC2 T-34/85, HL/Tamiya Pershing, Mato/Tamiya Sherman,HL KV-1, HL Pz III, HL/Custom scratch JP, HE/Tamiya Abrams, HE/Tamiya LEO 2A5, Vs Abrams M1A1, Vs T-72, HL Bergepanthe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Try a servo take the guts out remove the stops and it makes a powerful little gearbox. I have used in a couple tanks including my tiger and traverse on my jagdpanther. I have tried using a servo arm and rod like a standerd app or use a cam and spring.