Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

1/6 Stuart

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 05:26 PM
gorehound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/6 Stuart

I'm with you BIGMIG.

One mans junk is another mans jewels.

I could start on how the HL tanks, at least the earlier ones, are junk as they are not up to the quality of the big T and fall apart or burn out pretty much out of the box. However, that would be wrong both in that I would be insulting a lot of folks and also that they are not junk, they are just a lower costed option that allow people to get into a hobby that would otherwise be out of their price range and take it on from there if they so wish. The thing is people spend a lot of time, and many cases money on what are effectively toys as they enjoy the challenge of making a little masterpiece from small beginnings. They could have actually bought a Tamiya for less than the full outlay of their beloved HL project that would have been as good, in mechanical and reliability terms anyway, as their final upgraded HL. I personally see the M5's as a similar thing in the 1:6th world.

As for them being an ugly, useless tank that should never have been on the battlefield I will not disagree but there are a lot of other tanks that also fall into some or all of these categories and quite a few turn up on this forum but they are their owners pride and joy and who is anybody to argue with that. The same thing can be said of any item be it cars, planes, members of the opposite sex - we all have different tastes and we will never like everybody elses or fathom out why they have theirs so it is best left just to say nothing and marvel at the variety of life [sm=lol.gif]

One last thing on the M5, space. If you want a 1:6 scale tank and do not have a lot of room to keep it then the M5 is a good one. I do have other large scale tanks and one can take up most of a shed, are a nightmare to move when they break down and are not easily transported. The M5 is a smaller, more mobile and easy to manhandle tank and as such gets used a lot more than my other tank.

I do not wish to start any long winded back and forth have a go as sometimes happens here but just wish to state that everybody has their own loves and who are we to say what others should or should not like - and these are all TOYS for BIG BOYS ( and girls ) and not worth fighting over.... not unless we are on the RC tank battlefield that is

cheers
Gorehound
Old 10-21-2010, 06:28 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See! aint it great that we can all disagree and still get along. LOL It's not as bad as all that Big Mig. I don't really mind them, and I'll tell you if some one was to offer me one I most likely would not turn it down. but I still think there ugly. LOL
Old 10-21-2010, 07:26 PM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I think everyone has their favorite tank,no matter what the scale is.I will agree they may not be that pretty what ever that means.

But I did go look them up again on Wikipedia,not for info to prove any kind of a point as I do look up tanks on occassion just to learn a little more about them.I do like to look up a lot of stuff just for gaining the historical facts on some of the military vehicles.

There is no doubt that they did their job at the time they were built. ( we can all set back now and talk about how well or not they did this.But for their time a lot was produced and used by many countrys and was well received by most considering any other choice they had.)

The tanks and their crews for sure earned their place in the history books.

A good and not real long artical on them in Wikipedia if interested in them. ( type in searh window..."M3 Stuart Tank" )

I was surprised to see how many different veriations were tryed with this tank.Don't know how many other tanks could claim this fact alone.

BIGMIG

P.S. I do favor the bigger scale models,but still like the various scales i also have.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:37 AM
1sgt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The British crews in N. Africa nicknamed them Honey's for a reason.

Jim
Old 10-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Light and fast, great for the recon role, may be  not so good in the armor advance role though. We where just way behind for way too long. the fact of the matter is ,it was the crew;s skills more than the vehicles capability that won the day 9 times out of 10.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

They were great if you were strictly into 1/6 scale and wanted to add them at a fair price. Mine just sit and get dusted ever so often for in stock trim they are not too much fun.

- Jeff
Old 11-19-2010, 07:51 PM
RCGuy41

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any help would be appreciated, I bought a used 1/6 M5 today the right hand gear set is shot, well I pulled everything apart and found one gear stripped in the chain. By the looks of the gears all are the same size but the gear I need has a "B" stamped on the back, any idea where I can either purchase just the gear or the gear train (R hand side).