Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

HL engine sound question...

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

HL engine sound question...

Old 03-10-2010, 09:05 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HL engine sound question...

Turbine sounds??? The M-41 did not have a turbine. Engine was either a Lycoming or Continental 500hp opposed 6 cylinder gas engine with a turbo charger. The Turbocharger gave the tank a particular whine that was decernable for a long distance. The M-42 Duster and the tractors for the 240mm Atomic Cannon had the same engines and all sounded alike.

Nice thing about El mod is that you can record actual tank sounds to match and load them into your particular tank. Although I can only afford (almost) the El Mod for my one special tank, I am pleased with the sound that is a tank engine sound. It beats Tamiya and any other system out there.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:55 PM
BIGMIG

From the ones I listened to on this post,this is the one I like the best.It may not sound like the actual tanks mentioned here but it gives a real sound for the movement of the tank.This is one I would like to buy to add to one of my tanks.I think it is a killer set up. ...A $75.00 dollar cost seems fare enough for the sound you get.

But was wondering why two 9.6 batterys are required to make it operate........seems like a strange voltage being required to make it work..???? What is the actual voltage needed to make it work..???? MIN____MAX ????

I will consider buying one of these if the instalation is as easy as it sounds to hook one up ........

BIGMIG

P.S. What ever that thumping sounding one was it don't sound like something I would expect to hear in a heavy piece of equipment.Mabe it sounds better inside a closed hull......?????
Old 03-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Rebellion13

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Ok Phil you let the cat out of the bag, Elmod ECO? I started having fits after reading that....good fits though.

Cheers,
Wade
Old 03-10-2010, 10:37 PM
BiggTony

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I don't own this sound module. I'm assuming the two 9.6v batteries or 7.2vare recommended because the module was created to cater to RC battery standards.I'm willing to bet you could get that sound module to function on one battery, but you'll sacrifice the thunderous sound that it was purchased for.

As you said, thereal question is, "What's it's actual working voltage." It's obvious that it has a voltage regulator incorporated because two 9.6v batteries fully charged is roughly 21.6v volts in the first minute or two and two 7.2v's is 16.4v. If I had to make an educated guess. I think it has a working voltage rating of 12v.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:48 PM
removeb4flt

YHR thats makes exact sense. I love my thunder module. I wish Creepingdeath would show a video of the idle way down low. there is point where an intermitant backfire can be heard. for those of you who have one try turning the idle way low as in all the way to the stops but not too tight. when it sits idling for about 30 seconds or so you'll begin to hear it loading up like a real combustable carbed engine. just in idle mine has a nice mellow rumble with a random backfire sound kicking in after a while. when i start to move the engine cleans itself up and the engine really roars. thats another point that could be made, volume increases the faster you go. and when I mean increases I mean loud! there is also a really neat lifter tick for about 12 seconds when it fires up. (old duffs like me remeber lifter ticks.)
yes this thing is a very good attention getter also. most of the time i'm confined to taking it outside on full volume, we have a young couple living next door. whenever I "play" my neighbor finds a reason to show up.[:@][:@] he makes small chat but most of the time stares at my tank. I'll convert him yet!
I am not a very good speaker builder so I just used pre cut styrene and glued a box together. I had my grandson take the top piece to school and cut a circle in his shop class. I emailed cd about the 2 battery thing when i first was going to order. how they explained it is, the power is directly a factor of the amp. so in order to get the 15 watts it needs 15 or more volts. I started out running mine on 2 henlong 7.2's. then switched to 9.6 packs because they are smaller. the volume increase i got was pretty good. I really do like elmod and like cd said "there is no reason you cant run both." lol Phill, they also recomended you by name for any thing elmod and spoke very highly of you.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:55 PM
BiggTony

Removeb4lft~ So, this module. It really needs 2 battery packs?? So you need 3 Batteries in your tank altogether...or just two?
Old 03-10-2010, 11:29 PM
BIGMIG

Well I have never messed around with any of the add on sound systems other than what is in the stock tanks.

Need to get a little more specific here on my questions........

Does this work with a stock HL tank and the existing transmitter and boards.
Does the board style 13-14-18 (think I have those right ) make any difference......??
How do you turn this sound on & off............( I would assume it has it's own on & off switch )
If I have this figured out right the power being supplied to the motors when you speed the tank up and down is what gives the progressive sound from this module..........Have I got that right. ????
But the two batterys is what it uses as it's own seperate power source......???

If I understand this right a (speaker sold seperetly ) and (two batterys ) plus this unit is all that is needed to come up with the sound and operation like in the "video"........??

BIGMIG
Old 03-10-2010, 11:41 PM
Rebellion13

BigMig,

Here is their website, hope this helps answer some of your questions http://creepingdeathrc.netfirms.com/...products_id=62

Cheers,
Wade
Old 03-10-2010, 11:41 PM
bigskydude

Yes it will workwith any of the Heng Long boards. Then you will need two 9.6v packs(i run 600mah which should give you a couple hours of sound at least).As far as a speaker you'll need a 15watt 8 ohm speaker and your all set(welsh dragons sells a nice one in a nice sealed box for $50) thats small enough to fit into just about any tank..
Old 03-10-2010, 11:50 PM
Rebellion13

I would like to add that wibblywobbly submitted a post about creating a removable elmod system to transfer from one tank to another, so that is an option, technically you wouldn't need to buy an elmod for each tank, since the elmod system has jumper cables to set different sounds for different tanks. So that is an option, I am in the process of building my KT and will eventually get to work on my tiger 1 and have the elmod swappable between the two. The great thing is, is that we have a lot of options to choose from, depending on funds, time, preference, etc. This hobby is definitely growing. And I am really curious about the new Elmod ECO

Cheers,
Wade
Old 03-10-2010, 11:57 PM
BIGMIG

ORIGINAL: Disposable Hero

Yes it will work with any of the Heng Long boards. Then you will need two 9.6v packs(i run 600mah which should give you a couple hours of sound at least).As far as a speaker you'll need a 15watt 8 ohm speaker and your all set(welsh dragons sells a nice one in a nice sealed box for $50) thats small enough to fit into just about any tank..

I guess what confussed me was where it said any variable switchable power source between 4 & 10 volts would operate the "Relay".....? So I'll assume the relay is what gives the variable sound affect.........but does not have anything to do with the power that drives the sound unit itself thus why you need the two additional batterys for that.

$50.00 dollars seems awfull high priced for a small speaker............But then i don't really know very much about speakers,and in this case maybe you get what you pay for when it comes to the sound quality.??

BIGMIG

P.S. I thought this unit may work straight off a 12 volt acid battery like in a stuart tank,but maybe that is still not enough power to get the desired sound.?
Old 03-11-2010, 03:28 AM
blitzkrieg65

ORIGINAL: B/Man

Interesting developments Blitz. I think that sort of announement deserves it's own thread.

Hey BMan,

You are right, as soon as they convert the manuals to English and I get a confirmed shipping date! I will do a post on it, and the new options and features!

Thanks,

The Blitz
Old 03-11-2010, 04:55 AM
sollie

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

I wish this sytem would be made for 1/16 tanks. Sounds really nice

http://www.aerosoundrc.com/demos.htm

http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...1&ParentCat=58

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722563

Old 03-11-2010, 09:26 AM
removeb4flt

Bigmig the relay plugs into your smoker wires. so when you start up the tank you get the henlnog start up sound. when the henlong engine sound fires up the smoker wires get power and that turns on the thunder system. which is really neat because when the thunder module kicks in it revs up just for a second. as best as i can understand the system one 9.6 battery powers the electronics and also powers the amp. and the other 9.6 battery provides even more power for the amp. the instructions made hook up easy..... it has a spouse warning
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34744.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	1395818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50691.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	1395819  
Old 03-11-2010, 01:06 PM
BIGMIG

Hello removeb4flt,
Thanks for the info and that pretty much explains what I was looking for.

BIGMIG
Old 03-11-2010, 09:53 PM
snakestretcher52

Just as an addendum. The efficiency of a loudspeaker (measured in decibels-dB) will have quite a marked effect on volume. Let's assume a loudspeaker with arated efficiency of 88dB. An increase in efficiency of just 3dB to 91dB, and given an amplifier of the same power, will increase apparent volume x 1.23.

I don't know if the tiny speakers used in our models are thus rated but it would be a straightforward swap which needn't involve anything more complex than soldering two wires, and voila, a much louder tank.