Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

"Hot Dog Mondays" Sherman

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

"Hot Dog Mondays" Sherman

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 05:37 PM
BiggTony

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Hot Dog Mondays" Sherman

The is the unfortunate fate of a Sherman that draws a crowd of veterans to hot dog Mondays. This tank has seen better days.....but for how long, who knows? There still remains evidence of a significant wound to the tank on the back of the turret. It's even painted around in black by Snoopy's scarf to accent or draw more attention to it. It's an absolute rust bucket now. I think I now need another tetanus shot for I fear of getting lock jaw! I often pass this by since it used to be a yellowish color like rotten butter as you can see on the road wheels, then all black. Guess they tried to tone it down with green finally. Wish I knew how to post these at a reduced size like some of you can, if you could let me know that'd be great. So, sorry for the humongous pics!

Old 03-08-2010, 05:54 PM
BiggTony

Default RE:

Nevermind, that can't be battle damage. Looks like a part is missing.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: RE:

Well, you are right there are a few parts 'missing' in the area, but that is some sort of damage to the bustle.

- Jeff
Old 03-08-2010, 06:40 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE:

Man, that is a real shame....people just do not understand or respect history. Most of Army museum tanks are in similar shape, except that I keep on it to try and maintain ours as much as I am allowed. This tank was obviously on a hard target or demolition range. The damage to the bussle looks like a placed or fixed shape charge....maybe engineers? Is there an Engineer Demolition unit or training area in that region?

A hole that size would have to be at least a direct hit by a 155mm.... but...a hit that big would have removed the turret, or at least most of the rear of it. Due to the direction of the main blast outward, removing the lifting eye and local blast scars and the very clean directional hole, my reasoning for the fixed demolition charge. (AP rounds are not made for 155mm or 8 inch guns.)

Since none of the periscope mounts are closed and letting all the rain in, the interrior is probably a total loss. It is also a shame that the vets there don't take better care of this artifact or at least plug up the holes and give it a nice paint job. From the condition and color of the non military issue oil transfer hoses on the engine, this tank was running a few years ago. What a waste[&o]
Old 03-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Bustle, not bussle.

- Jeff
Old 03-08-2010, 07:00 PM
daisycutter redux

thats some hardcore weathering

mind you most of the aberdeen(US) collection is rusted to buggery and painted i whatever paint happens to be lying about
Old 03-08-2010, 07:12 PM
BiggTony

Default RE:

I wanted to climb on top but the VA club wasn't open. I'll wait till the weekend to see if they'll allow me to provided I agree to waive rights to liability of course.. Maybe the hatch still opens too, but I doubt that I would climb into it. Aside from all the sharp rusty areas, we have tons of brown recluses here as well as black widows. 

It is sad that it's not well maintained. The engine didn't look to be dated....at least for the most part. I thought I seen plastic components and levers, but then again, it may have just been painted painted over.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:17 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE:

Man Tony, I want that tank for a weekend project!! Minus the spiders...I hate spiders, specially the kind you mentioned....but i do want the tank!!!!
Old 03-08-2010, 07:23 PM
BiggTony

Default RE:

LOL! I'm hoping when I show back up over the weekend....I catch one of the guys on a good day (or senile) and he hands me the crank and says, "If you can push or pull it, it's yours." . I'll call you when that happens! I think we're gonna need both of our Fords and maybe a few more recruitment's to haul that tank off!

Old 03-08-2010, 07:40 PM
yellowshaker

Default RE:

LOLOL, you just give me a hollar. I WILL make the trip for a free tank!
Old 03-08-2010, 10:00 PM
pattoncommander

No problem on spiders and hornet nests....one concussion grenade or a can or hornet killer sprayed in will normally take care of them.
This is common practice for me 2, 3 times a year so I can get my work done.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:14 PM
yellowshaker

Default RE:

Arghhh, I hates bugs!!! hmm, concussion grenade, you say??
Old 03-09-2010, 12:17 AM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

yellow there is our armor for our tankpool
Old 03-09-2010, 12:41 PM
SNOWTANK

Default RE:

That would be a great project for that show that overhauls old tanks like this.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:03 PM
BiggTony

ORIGINAL: pattoncommander

Is there an Engineer Demolition unit or training area in that region?
I believe there is or was. I'm surrounded by military/defense central. With in40 miles all around, there is Eglin AFB(largest Air Force base), Hurlburt AFB, Duke AFB,Navy Marines Pensacola, and Coast guard. I've seen some of the testing grounds on Eglin, but most others are not easily accessible by prohibit of law or deep in the woods. Eglin, although an extremely large base, owns 8/10 of this area if you look at it on the map. No telling what goes on, but you can damn sure hear it! I think the last known testing obvious to myself and well publicized testing was when the MOAB was dropped here in 03' and random cannon round heard durring ArmyRanger training. Now it's the F35's and CV-22 Ospreys. Good gracious are boththose things loud!!!
Old 03-10-2010, 05:16 PM
pattoncommander

I'd be willing to wager on Ranger training...very possible this Sherman was a target for a covert destroy mission. ID target, plant explosive charge, set delay fuse and unass the area post haste. Rangers and Engineeer demolitions guys get this type training. Don't believe the AF uses intert or training ammo for 5" rockets, which would be my second guess. It would have the inertia to punch a hole with a small explosion without totally dismantling the entire tank. Most of that stuff is muucho boom and settling junk. Makes me sick to see many tanks I have served on being blown to hell on the ranges....many of them DRIVEN to the target area.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:14 AM
pattoncommander

Yellowshaker, don't mean the potent combat or flash-bang SWAT stuff....low grade stuff is good for clearing venomous snakes etc from down range tanks when someone has to access them. Occasionally I can procure a couple if I can justify official use. If not, easy to fabricate my own, but not really kosher to use in a museum artifact.. SC (Ft Jackson) has all 6 of 8 venomous snakes in the USA, so one does not simply go up to a tank on the range and jump in.[:@][:'(]

Wasp & Hornet spray gets a LOT of use durring spring-summer when those nasty creatures are looking for nesting spots. [>:] Especially important for museum outside artifacts so when visitors poke their heads-hands in a halftrack/scout car window, lift a tarp corner, look too close under the fender into the engine compartment or stick fingers in the empty bow gun holes, (soon to have mg barrels) they don't caress or bump noses with a new hornet nest.[:@] If I have to do some cleanup/work in a tank in summer, I'll use an entire can of hornet spray and let it sit overnight.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:13 AM
goldminer7759

Default RE:

Not free but in a lot better shape!

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...-sherman-tank/
Old 03-12-2010, 10:52 AM
ArmChairGeneral

If I had the acres I'd consider it, convert the 76mm to a gas cannon for show
Old 03-16-2010, 02:17 PM
pattoncommander

Nice....I was looking at it and my wife (and finance minister) is already giving me the "no can have" look. Said "you had yours and sold it...no more". []
Old 03-17-2010, 11:17 PM
BiggTony

Default RE:

Patton, why on earth would you sell it?!? Ya know.....2012 is right around the corner, lol. Just kidding....I'm no galactic alignment of the equinox nut bag.......... but it would be nice, just in case.

If I ever strike it rich, I'd have the worlds largest casket!