Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Review: Futaba 4YF 2.4GHz FHSS SkySport 4 Channel Radio

2 cents:

Thought I'd let you all know the new to market Futaba 4YF 2.4GHz FHSS SkySport radio works good and setups up easy in a Tamiya full option tank, plus it is under a 100 dollars delivered.

On the unit I bought, the left control stick ratchets on the up and down movement, but Futaba has spring loaded kits to change that.

There is no complex programing or binding for setup and you do not need to modify the receiver connectors on your DMD Unit to plug them into the Futaba receiver.

Follow your Tamiya DMD setup instructions and the otherwise plug and play installation is as simple to accomplish as with the Tamiya recommended Futaba AM radio.

I have been test running the 2.4 SkySport in my Tamiya Pz4J for the last couple of days and so far the results have exceeded expectations and no interference problems have occurred when grouped with FM, AM and other 2.4 sets.

Enjoy, John

PS These Tamiya tanks run just fine in grass, the M-16, not at all.

And I almost forgot to thank my willing conscripts from the "hood" for showing up to help test the radios:

1. TC Stewart, 4th grade, Panther G is set on 3 hits, frustration is an important lesson to teach young children, especially those who have great natural tank driving – shooting skills.
    2. TC Joan, Pershing M26, she often states it is not nice to shoot other tanks, or be shot at, so some times we leave the TBU off, just for her, and it makes knocking out Oliver so much easier.
    3. TC Tony, Tiger IE, big corporation IT Director on medical leave, we installed 12 tooth pinions just for him, being scale speed slow, means easier to hit too.
    4. TC Bill, retired corporate VP, has a new Aston Martin & a older Porsche, builds really great Tamiya model plastic kit cars, so he fights the Jagdpanther, seems correct.
    5. TC Oliver, middle school, Sherman set at 9 hits, to account for Sherman's numerical superiority in the ETO.
    6. TC John, Pz4J, set at 9 hits, my yard, my tanks, older guys should rule, it is the correct and natural order of things.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sq47992.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	1403801   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zu64328.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	1403802   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fc90397.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	1403803   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ql35493.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	1403804   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hm24287.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	154.5 KB 
ID:	1403805  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lf95469.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	1403806   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fq89403.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	1403807   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hx33187.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	212.4 KB 
ID:	1403808   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mo13987.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	1403809   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wv74484.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	1403810  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ed60114.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	176.1 KB 
ID:	1403811  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Review: Futaba 4YF 2.4GHz FHSS SkySport 4 Channel Radio

John,

So you would recommend this over the spektrum? and if I may ask where did you purchase it from? Also does this price include the receiver? And thanks for the review I am in the process of looking for a decent radio, for when I actually purchase the pershing.

Cheers,
    Wade
    N.E.A.D Member
    All my tanks are in the project stage

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,

The Spektrum is a great radio and I can't really recommend one over the other, just letting the forum know there are now some other cost effective choices out there.

I like this Futaba radio for it's fast, easy setup, which is important to me, when maintaining a tank for kid use (me included).

I got this Futaba 2.4 (includes transmitter and receiver, but no servos) off ebay, from these guys below, though I see it has gone up about 10 bucks since last week (search ebay, you can probably do better):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Futaba-4YF-2-4GH...item3efdfc3fd0

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have 2 of them already. Did the fire control mod on the first one, didnt get around too the second one yet. For a hundred bucks I think it is the best deal going for a 2.4 , 4 channel radio.
    Tamiya Panther G, HL/Tamiya TigerI, WSN/HL T-34/85, WSN/Tamiya T-34/85, WSN/HL DBCRC2 T-34/85, HL/Tamiya Pershing, Mato/Tamiya Sherman,HL KV-1, HL Pz III, HL/Custom scratch JP, HE/Tamiya Abrams, HE/Tamiya LEO 2A5, Vs Abrams M1A1, Vs T-72, HL Bergepanthe