Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

metal tracks vs plastic

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 11:05 PM
maverick pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default metal tracks vs plastic

hey guys...are metal tracks really that much better than plastic tracks? or is it more of a wear issue with the plastics? also anybody have problems with the matoro or HL metal tracks?

thanks...mike
Old 04-04-2010, 11:08 PM
BiggTony

Default RE: metal tracks vs plastic

Good question! Been trying to get the same info myself.

I do love the weight of my tank with the metal tracks, so I think it has to do with adding weight for a more authentic movement and feel to the tanks as well as durability.

I don't have a tank with plastic tracks yet and have been hesitant on getting a tank without the metal tracks and metal idle wheel/sprockets so I'm curious to know myself on the thoughts about plastic tracks. I'd be able to own more tanks if I just went to all plastic! lol
Old 04-04-2010, 11:16 PM
maverick pro

hey...thanks for the quick response. ive had a HL tiger I with all plastic and the only problem i found was with the plastic tracks would always jump the idler wheel both sides in grass or carpet. on a good smooth serface it was fine. but i never wore out the tracks by use and have never used metal idlers, drives and tracks. but yeah its like 75 to 100 doller dif in price.

thanks again...mike
Old 04-04-2010, 11:28 PM
BiggTony

I don't think metal tracks make a difference whether the tracks jump or not on the Tiger. I have metal tracks/sprockets/idlers and still suffered that problem. The only resolution was installing tensioners to tighten up the tracks..... great investment, but almost a shame that I had to invest the extra money and time to tighten it about 2-3 mm so it would stop throwing the tracks. Removing one link made it too tight and a bit ugly, and not removing it always made it throw the tracks either inward or outward.

I think the tiger was notorious for this anyway, but the tensioners solved it all.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:32 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that metal vs plastic has little effect oon throewing the tracks...that's all in alignment and tension. My Tiger is all metal except the upper hull and turret and I have only thrown a track one time...that was due to my own stupidity in the snow. I also have an all plastic pzIII that has not thrown a track yet. I do feel that the tracks are ruynnign a bit too tight but it does not have nay issues. Other than that, all I can say is I prefer the metal becasue of the weight and traction benefits over plastic.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:44 PM
maverick pro

thanks guys...ive always wanted to try the metal tracks but was kinda price shocked. i think i will order my panzer III with them. or get the panzer and the stug 3 with all plastic for close to the same price....lol

thanks again...mike
Old 04-04-2010, 11:57 PM
BiggTony

Gotta at least have a tank with metal tracks! Do it, you won't regret it. One of the big issues with me going backwards.....I want more than what I have but can't afford to have every tank upgraded with all these dang kids,mortgages, IRAs, medical, dental, veterinary bills, student loans, 401k's, car payments, food, pet food, clothing, utilities, gas, car maintenance, lunch money, books................
Old 04-05-2010, 12:06 AM
maverick pro

yeah that sounds like me minus the kids lol. I think i will order it today some time this after noon. thanks again for all the help im still really green when it comes to tanks, most of my rcing is planes. but for some crazzy reason i love armor.

thanks again...mike
Old 04-05-2010, 12:18 AM
HAL_HUSKER

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Metak VS plastic - this the solution in case you use them in-door on the carpet surface.
If you go on the stone surface - metal trucks is what you need.

Do not forget that using metal trucks you will deffinitely need to install lower gear to decrease motor tension...
Old 04-05-2010, 12:35 AM
maverick pro

thanks...i know the tank has metal gears but im really not sure of the ratio. i will look into it and see what i come up with.

thanks again...mike
Old 04-05-2010, 05:41 AM
1sgt

ORIGINAL: BiggTony

Good question! Been trying to get the same info myself.

I do love the weight of my tank with the metal tracks, so I think it has to do with adding weight for a more authentic movement and feel to the tanks as well as durability.

I don't have a tank with plastic tracks yet and have been hesitant on getting a tank without the metal tracks and metal idle wheel/sprockets so I'm curious to know myself on the thoughts about plastic tracks. I'd be able to own more tanks if I just went to all plastic! lol

I own the H an L Jagdpanther with metal traks and gear boxes. I agree with BiggTony, the additional weight does make it respond closer to the real thing. As far as plastic goes. I have a H an L TigerI with plastic tracks and nylon gear box. Have had it for about4 maybe 5 years and not a problem with either. I also have a PZIII and IV and have had track seperation in medium height grass, so go figure. So long as the $ is available. I would go with the metal tracks and gear box's.

Jim
Old 04-05-2010, 01:38 PM
maverick pro

hey guys...thanks for all the help, placed the order for HL panzer III with the upgraded metal gear boxes, metal tracks, metal drive and idlers, and also got the rest of the suspension in metal on the way. cant wait to try it out and start the detailing.

thanks again...mike
Old 04-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Panther G

The issue is not metal or plastic tracks. the issue is the flex in the stock suspension arms and system. that is where the track jumping comes from. the stock arms flex and are not capable of keeping the roadwheels and idlers inline ,Result Jumped tracks.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:56 AM
HAL_HUSKER

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

yep... this is another important point to keep in mind.
thnx Panther
Old 04-06-2010, 06:27 AM
cheap tank

Great tank Maverick that was my first hl. and has ben running for years with no major problems.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:16 AM
maverick pro

hey guys thanks...i figured for the extra 25.00 dollers to get the all metal swing arms and springs. back when i had my tiger I the stock plastic swing arms would crack at the base. i was constanly fixing them and thought it was from over tightening them. but i could see how the big tiger with its really wide tracks and slopy road wheels would crack these.

thanks again....mike
Old 04-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Panther G

It's not really just the metal arms but the way the system is manufactured. What is really needed is a longer shaft on the arm end that goes through the hull mounted at the inner most end. This would prevent the arms from flexing. It's the system as a whole that needs to be redesigned, or just use a torsion bar system. It would be better to pay a little more up front then too try and upgrade the stock system. i used the metal upgrade set and it really did very little to help. So the only solution for me was the Asiatam hull.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:18 PM
maverick pro

the metal hull fixed all your problem? i was looking at the same hull but will have to hold off for now.

thanks...mike
Old 04-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Panther G

Yes it did. The Asiatam torsion bar system works as well as the Tamiya IMO. I even have the Asiatam Early style road wheels all metal with bearings, and she's as steady as a rock. You cant make this tank throw a track.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:38 PM
maverick pro

thanks for the info...i will have to save a little before i get one but its on the list. its hard to juggle planes ,tanks , wife and money at the same time lol.

thanks again...mike
Old 04-06-2010, 06:22 PM
BiggTony

Maverick, I just noticed your in FL. Do you have tank clubs in your area? I've seen a few other members here from Florida. We all need to get together and start up our own southern tank club. All these northern, western and mid-western and east sideboys are having all the fun!
Old 04-06-2010, 06:45 PM
maverick pro

i wish we had a tank club. my local fling field does planes, helis, control line and they have a tiny little rc car track. im thinking of asking them if i could possibly start a tank club with members and are own little spot. they just might go for it or point and laugh at me lol.

mike
Old 04-06-2010, 06:49 PM
BiggTony

Yeah, I think I have a better chance now more than ever to get my local hobby shop to sponsor tanking or atleast test trial it now that they kind of owe me one. Last week I saved them from going under. Caught the robbers red handed before they could steal anything....althouh they did manage to rip the glass door down. So, I talked to them a little more about carrying some...only thing is they stock what tower hobbies carry....fat chance in people wanting to try a new hobby with costly Tamiyas. So after I'm done with my Tiger, I'll take it back down there and give them a tast of what they're missing.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:00 PM
maverick pro

wow...they are lucky you cought them. yeah the question i get is what fun could a tank be, it doesnt do anything. when i had my tiger i would let anybody try it out and almost 100% of the time the liked it and wanted to know all about the tanks. i even bought my wife a HL snow leopard and she loved it. i even plan to build a tank course in the back yard around 25 feet wide by 30 feet long give or take. with all the buildings and bridges and some scale stuff. only problem is the nasty wheather we have in the summer to be able to leave all that stuff outside.

mike
Old 04-06-2010, 07:14 PM
BiggTony

Yeah, they were nice enough to give me a 250 gift card to the store...so I figured I'd use it towards a Tamiya....then I looked at the cost of the Tamiya's on Tower Hobbies and seen it was a wash! lol They sell them much higher on T.H.

I kind of though the same thing when tanks caught my eye. The first thing that came to mind was Nascar ! Round in circles, boring. But if you don't intend on babying your tank...they are boss hogs! Then the whole idea of battling brings it to a new level. I was really into heli's but the area I moved to here, requires heli's and plane's be flown on the air base. Not permitted to fly in my county and it's clear on federal grounds. Too much b.s. for me to continue with the hobby.

So glad I found tanks, but it's fairly lonely around here and my Heli buddies don't intend to cross over. Bastiches!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.