Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Whats the best way to get indivisual track control on HL tanks?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Whats the best way to get indivisual track control on HL tanks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 12:40 AM
city hunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Whats the best way to get indivisual track control on HL tanks?

I believe that might be the server he was using for full 360 turret rotation? You can tell it isnt quite done in that picture.

Here is the post he did that had that picture.

"Hello .

Just a couple of pics of my Tiger 1 rebuild.
After primeing the hull I turned my attention to the internals.
I have removed all the Matorro electronics and just left the smoke generator in , the Matorro drive gearboxes have been removed and I purchased a full set of Metal tracks complete with upgraded metal Gearboxes and sprockets and uprated motors for a reasonable price.

They are for the Hen Long models but they will fit the Matorro however you have to remove the old gearbox which is a one part item as apposed to the two part Hen Long items.
I removed the gearbox after marking the centre lines for the sprockets, then removed all the Mounting lugs, then I fitted the gearboxes to a 1/8 thick sheet of ali plate and mounted it in the hull, you have to build up the rear of the mounting plate about 3/8 of an inch, this I did with 4mm platic sheet laminated together, I then drilled through the plate and bottom hull then fitted another 1/8 plate under the hull to give it a good base for the gearboxes.

The turet ring was modified to allow a full 360 degree movement, the tank now has 2 independant speed controllers moving both tracks this alows me to run one track forward and the other in reverse at varying speeds and the tank can now " Waltz" on the spot and has a very realistc movement. The turret now turns with a speed control and is very smooth in operation and can move very slow for accurately targeting , the barrel elevation also moves via a speedcontrol.

The smoke unit is now operated via the transmitter and is connected to a large electronic engine sound with start up and is linked speed wise to the drive motors so it increases and decreases with the tanks speed.

The wiring pics look a little bit like a rats nest but have now been tidyied up, the tank now has 7 independant function."

Old 04-16-2010, 01:24 AM
city hunter

Well, took the jagd for my first run today, lasted about 10 minutes then I thought the battery started dying. Took it inside as I noticed the gear boxes kept clicking and slipping, but nothing was jammed in the tracks. I also noticed one motor was sluggish. I was smelling a burnt electronics smell as well. Looked inside and I noticed one pinion gear was a bit loose, but nothing serious. Tossed another battery in and the damn thing drove for a few seconds then started burning up. Smoke was much better than the smoke unit whichi never even used

Gotta go take this thing back tomorrow. Unfortunately it was the only jagd they had and I got it for 110 bucks -_-
Old 04-16-2010, 09:24 AM
oztruck

The 1/16 WSN T34/85 is the best you can get, it's the only one you can get. There Tiger1 has better detail than the HL tiger but the HL tiger is far better as far as gearboxes and electrics. but the choice is yours
Old 04-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of those 6 and 7 channel radios are going to be 72mgh which is illegal to run on ground frequncy     vehicles. Be very care ful. you would be better off just getting a 5DXE or a Skysport 2.4 which is the only radio I use now. My Skysport 75 ground is a backup.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:41 AM
city hunter

if it was legal in the 80s its good enough for me
Old 04-17-2010, 09:27 AM
Panther G

You say that now but with the FCC being run buy individuals too the WAY left of things do you really want too test your luck. One person who does not adhere to proper frequency rules can cause problems for many. It can lead to restrictions to where you can use an RC, what type of RC and if you can use an RC at all. Don't take these laws lightly.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:48 AM
BiggTony

Aint that the truth. Because I'm in military central (5 bases within 50 miles) they don't play when it comes to transmitterbandwidth. Atleast, anything flying for that matter. Anything that flies and uses 5 channels or more must be flown on the base Eglin or Hurlbert on designated Saturdays, you have to sign up for base privilages to the designated field. A real pain in the butt!!!! Especially when they are on red alert or preparing to be for tests and what not. You can forget flying for a while. Which is one of the reasons I got out of Heli flying (besides the growing repair costs.)
Old 04-17-2010, 06:13 PM
tdipaul

For H/L's: Would 3/1 gearboxes improve the control and response of slow turning maneuvers? What I mean is when you want both tracks to turn opposite of each other, and slowly - like when the stick is in a upper or lower left/right quadrant.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:00 PM
Panther G

It is better with 3:1's but the electronics of the HL's do not really have the proportional ability to do it correctly.