Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Whats the best way to get indivisual track control on HL tanks?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Whats the best way to get indivisual track control on HL tanks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 01:58 PM
city hunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the best way to get indivisual track control on HL tanks?

Looking for the best, and maybe cheapest way tog et indivisual track control on HL tanks. I have 3, and I cant stand the one stick control.I wanna get twin stick control, one track for each stick. I have both early and late hl control modules, and they both suck imo. The later cant regulate for crap and is jumpy.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:21 PM
BiggTony

Default RE: Whats the best way to get indivisual track control on HL tanks?

So what will you do about turning the turret and elevating the barrel?

If each track is steered independently.........all directions will be consumed by each stick. Have you fully thought about this?
Old 04-14-2010, 02:28 PM
BiggTony

Duh!!! You'd still have left/right open on each stick........carry on! lol
Old 04-14-2010, 02:36 PM
city hunter

lol, there isnt a 4 tracked tank... yet?

I've heard you can reconfigure the receiver on a matarro tank to run it this way, I've also seen some people use speed controls and aftermarket radios, which adds up real quick.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:59 PM
BiggTony

Well I'm kind of curious myself now. Although I think it would be a bit awkward for me not that I'm fairly used to the way the HL's are. It'd be nice to know how to do this at the very least.

I'll keepwatch of this thread...hopefully it doesn't go with out an appropriate answer!
Old 04-14-2010, 03:06 PM
city hunter

I've opened up the controller on my stug 3 and it's possible to swap the x axis componet, which looks to be a potentiometer type deal to the gun side y, and vise versa.

This would get me closer possibly to running it how I want, but I assume there is going to be some serious modifications needed to the receiver.

I suppose I could always try a set of mechanical speed controls, or try and find some cheap reversable esc. The proportional reverseable esc are pretty spendy from whatI have found so far.

I havent found a place that sells matarro electronics yet, so thats kind of out of the question.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:17 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

There is one other way you mite want to look at if im correct on this others please chime in if im wrong if you add a DBCRC2 to your tanks you can use a third party T x and Rx like the DX6i and you mite be able to program the sticks and levers to do what you want .

Jimmy
Old 04-14-2010, 03:54 PM
Dugster

The stock electronics will not do that. You will need a new receiver, transmitter and 2 speed controls (one for each gearbox). This will get the tracks split on each stick and you can set one (you choose) for the turret but the only way I see for the barrel elevation is to put it one the other left/right stick. You will still need to figure out a way to get sound, gun fire, lights, etc. This is a much bigger job than you think.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:01 PM
city hunter

figured as much. I dont really care aboutt he sound or smoke, or even the gun, the only thing im really concerned about is the driving.. Maybe I will sell these off and get a couple matarro's
Old 04-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is just not a reasonable set up. there are no quality tanks that act this way mearly the toy grade tanks. If you ever move up to a higher quality tank you would then need too learn too use the single stick motive set up. i'm not bustin your chops here but it's just not the right way to do it.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:39 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the Trumpeter T-34 it had control like you want. I personally like the control on one stick, but if we all liked the same thing, life would be pretty dull.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:19 PM
city hunter

I'm going to hold my tongue.

This is probably what I will end up having to do.

http://rctankhq.com/panzerforum/index.php?topic=1506.0

Old 04-15-2010, 01:00 AM
blitzkrieg65

Hello City Hunter,

If you don't have an account over there we cannot see the link,, but....

To answer your question, the best way to convert the Heng long tanks is to use the DBCRC2 board it can be sold without the IR Battle stuff and that way you can use it to hook up any hobby radio you want and set the drive sticks how you want them!

http://www.rctankwars.com/battlecircuits.asp

The blitz
Old 04-15-2010, 01:28 AM
city hunter

Awesome, this seems to be by far my best bet then.I had looked at that, but wasnt sure if it was possible to do. I'll be getting one to try out real soon

I definately need some metal upgrades on my stug too..
Old 04-15-2010, 01:30 AM
city hunter

Oh yeah, this was what I was refering too. He is using twin mtroniks 10amp viper esc fully proportional forward and reverse, along witha ton of other mods. I real nice setup.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:36 AM
oztruck

The WSN range of tanks 1x Tiger1 and 1xT34/85 have the type of 2 stick control you are after. They are a similar price to the Heng Long range. hope this is of some help
Old 04-15-2010, 01:37 AM
blitzkrieg65

Cool, the DBCRC2 also give you proprtional inertia drive so you feel like you are driving a 40 ton tank, and if you do not hard break it will keep rolling a little bit!

The ultimate will be the new EL MOD ECO version 20 amps coming in about 3 weeks from now and will sell for about $ 120.00

but no need for any HL long electronics, and upgrade possible for booming sounds but not necessary to get started!

The Blitz
Old 04-15-2010, 01:58 AM
city hunter

Thanks for all the replies.

A little off topic, but what size are these motors? 540? I'm looking into battery options right now as these hl packs are... leaving a lot to be desired on run time lol.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:27 AM
bigskydude

thank god...I thought I was the only guy who liked two stick control better...lol. Like the other members mentioned earlier the only real options are to gut a WSN(T34) as it has two stick control(plus gun/turret/etc with buttons). Or...The way I did mine is get some electronic speed controls(w/reverse) for 1/10 rc cars...they make some very small ones which is nice(make sure to buy two of the same type), then purchase a 2 or 4 channel stick radio and slave each speed control to each stick. The nice thing with a four channel radio is you can still get turret rotation and gun elevation using the sticks in the other directions(side-to-side). Granted its not as an efficient a set-up, but when me and my buddies set-up a course my tank(we all have jagdpanthers) would kill their's as my control was much more precise/fluid and less "jerky". But like everything it will come at a slight cost.....but to be honest I much prefer it to single stick control(and is more realistic in my opinion).....But I'm an old rc fart and I still race rc cars with a stick radios(and win quite a bit) as I just can't abide those car radio's with the stupid little steering wheel and trigger...lol
Old 04-15-2010, 07:01 PM
Panther G

No all the motors are a 380 size. the WSN tanks use 280's. We do use Speed 400's when we use a gear reduction. I can understand why you want to run the tank the way you do, but it will still be very awkward to use any other function. Beleive me, when i had to switch radios on the fly at our battle day last Sunday i really missed my trigger buttons I added so I did not have too move the trims to fire the main gun. tamiya tanks are set up that way. With a 4 channel radio you must move the trim to the highest point to use it as a 5th and 6th channel. with the HL or WSN radios you would basically loose the ability to use the gun.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Panther G

Correction, The WSN radios come the way you want them like was mentioned by another poster.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:24 PM
oztruck

The WSN tanks even have IR, it only works with there tanks but the Tamiya one only works with Tamiya tanks so that is not too bad.
The WSN tanks have the 2 stick control you want, they also have recoil of the main gun, sound, and push button control for main gun ETC,
It is NOT top quality but for the price it is a lot easier than changing things on a HL.
Below is a photo of a WSN Tiger1 with only the paint changed.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:16 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

I was thinking I had that correct thanks Phil for correcting me on the DBCRC2 I had DBU posted I thought you could do it this way .

Jimmy
Old 04-16-2010, 12:26 AM
city hunter

How is the quality on the wsn tanks? vs the hl tanks? I'm thinking about picking one up. I wouldnt mind a t35 for the collection. That would put me up to a stug 3, tiger 1, and jagd and a t34.

On a side note, if anyone is interested, I found a site in the states that sales the proportional viper 10 esc for 35 bucks. It's a 10amp speed control thats used in the above picture.

http://www.cnc-models.com/cnc10_046.htm

I'm going to try this, but I will probably try one of the other setups as well.

You can get 6 or 7 channel older futaba radios all day long for next to nothing. I have a old gold fm 7 channel that I just need to find a battery charger for.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:28 AM
BiggTony

City Hunter, that picture you posted with the guy using the viper esc. Did he describe what that servo was for sitting by the speaker? I've been trying to figure it out since you posted it! lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.