Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya King Tiger questions

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya King Tiger questions

Old 04-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Jim_in_MN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya King Tiger questions

Aloha,

After years of wanting one of Tamiya's RC tanks I finally broke down and got one of the King Tigers. (I've wanted an RC tank since I was 10 and saw my first in 1978 in Lexington, KY.) I'm pretty excited.

That said, before I even crack the box and start some parts fitting, I knowthat I should ask some questions. Iwould appreciate suggestions onwhat I should know or look to buy instead of duplicating effort or wasting time with parts I'll just probably want to replace.

I've been doing some reading here and there on the forum and other websites and have read through the FAQ. I was hoping any of you who already own KT's might be able to give me some pointers.

Thanks!

Jim

Old 04-30-2010, 10:16 PM
torpedochief

Default RE: Tamiya King Tiger questions

Brother Jim,
WELCOME! You are indeed in the right place. You hit paydirt here.

I am not fortunate to have a Tamiya.......yet Like you that is indeed a great model. I want you to narrow your question just a bit.

When you talk parts, do you mean detail parts, electronic parts, drive train parts, suspension parts, or all the above.

My recommendation is to pick a Unit and Tank that appeals to you. Then study...study...study...and when you aredone with that part, study some more. Then you will know what detail parts you want to add or delete. For example: If you are going to model one ofthe last KTs to be built you would delete the 20 ton jack and jack block, and add u shaped devices to the turret to hold branches.

Then ask yourself: "Just what am I going to do with this tank?" If you are going to use it in IR battle, then you have some mods in the electronics to do. If you are going to climb steep hills and rough ground you'll have some gear box and motor mods to make.

If you want to make your tank a contender in the Tank 500 race then you have some other things to consider.

Whatever you want to do, remember two things. 1.) It is your tank! 2.)Everyone on here who has built your type tank for whatever terrian or level of detail will do thier best to assist you.

No question is dumb, no builder is the know all. So come on in!

Don
Old 04-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Jim_in_MN

Hi Don,

Thanks for the quick reply. (I should have said that it's the 56007 in my first post.)

I think I'm mostly looking to make sure the tank's functionality is solid and smooth. I bought this expecting, is the phrase hop ups?, that I would need to upgrade parts in the drive train, tracks, etc.

I'm not in this to race or battle just yet. With a fair budget but not a crazy one I think my order will be: drive trainand RC components -> Detail > Battle gear.

My painting and modeling skill is fair at best. (I have an airbrush and paint and piles of books for reference for appearance.) Again I think Iwant to make sure the tank is operating smoothly before I start painting and detailing it.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 04-30-2010, 11:30 PM
Bauer66

Welcome Jim.

I have done a few Tam KT's and one basic part I can think of right off hand is the Rear idler upgrade. The tam unit kinda Sucks. An upgrade will help you keep your tracks on.
Check out http://www.etoarmour.com/ Ive done alot of Business with Bob, Great guy.

Good luck with your Build.
Trev.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:45 PM
hdbeast

Hi Jim

Welcome to the forum, I was born in Minneapolis, my family still lives there and up in Crosslakes. The KT is one of the Tamiya tanks that I liked building, here is a link to my build if you haven't already read it, any questions just ask. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7003543/tm.htm

Gary
Old 05-01-2010, 12:12 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Hi Jim
Welcome to the hobby! You will find it quite addictive, and also quite rewarding.

I've built several Kings, and as Bauer says, the idler needs upgrading. Also, if you are not going for metal tracks (which are always a nice addition for weight and looks) you will want to take the pins out of your tracks one at a time and put them in from outside. The KT tracks from Tamiya are good, but like any plastic tracks the pins will from time to time walk out. Putting them in from outside prevents a walking pin from catching on the hull and damaging the link.

Electronics are bullet proof as delivered, best system hands down in the our hobby. If you decide to get in to battling, then use ONLY the Tamiya Battle System, no other. The stock trans system will hold up to years of abuse, and if you trash it over time, Tamiya makes an overhaul kit for the trans that replaces everything in it, and it's not expensive. A gear down for the trans is a good addition if you want to go to correct off road speed, and it's a bolt on.

For suspensions, the Tam system is very similar to the prototype, being torsion bars. etoarmour (that's me by the by) has a Schumo suspension system that is easy to install and gives a more supple ride, but that's a judgement call. The Wecohe suspension system is a bear to install and adjust, but also gives a more supple ride. Bearings in the wheels, however, are a real good idea. KT wheels screw together, so they can be added at any time, but I've personally used bearings in the wheels for 10 years now.

As for the cosmetics, there was not the evolution on the Kings as seen on the Tiger 1, Panther, and P4 for instance. However, there are many things to add if you so desire, up to and including photo etched parts, finely detailed parts made from lazer cut thin brass or nickel silver to super detail you model. Tamiya's KT is modeled on an early to mid model of the King. There were many minor changes during the relatively short production run on the King, but nothing really major in the cosmetics end of it.

I would do your research on the King, choose one to roughly replicate, and have at it. Painting, my advice it to practice, practice, and practice some more with your air brush on scrap or cardboard, and then go for painting your tank. There were many cammo patterns on the German tanks, most being a uint preference rather than a standard field order, and cammo was almost always applied in the field with the supplied pigments and spray gun that came with the new tank from Henschel.

Feel free to ask questions on any phase of the build. There is no such thing as a foolish question. None of us were born with the knowledge some of us have, we all learned from the research over the years. And if you like history, researching tanks is the mother lode. Read the instructions from your kit word for word twice, and when you are building, think ahead as to what part you are working on. Again, any doubts on how to do something, do ask here on forum. The lads are quite good at answering you and almost always quickly.

Here's a couple pics of some of my recent builds. I am certainly no master, there are lads like Panther F, Jeff O, hdbeast, etc, who are way better than me at super detailed builds and painting. Just wander thru the forum for threads on Tamiya builds. You will be amazed at some of the work here.

Sev

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43709.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1428700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga77569.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	1428701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45944.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1428702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28442.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1428703  
Old 05-01-2010, 01:56 AM
modeltank

http://jbwid.com/art74c.htm

another great Tamiya King Tiger site for building reference.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:33 AM
Jim_in_MN

Thanks for the great replies and warm welcome. It's greatly appreciated.

Trav everywhere I've poked about I've seen the Daryl Turner rear idler upgrade mentioned. Its a priority item for my short term list and probably most of the rest of his pieces.

Gary if you've up this way you'll have to stop by. We're just outside of Saint Paul. I spent about an hour or so reading your thread and you're quite an accomplished modeler. I took a lot of notes on some of the things you used for your KT but it's pretty long and involved and a bit hodgepodge.
Sev I spent some time on your website but some of the codes were a bit confusing. (I think it's my lack of knowledge about the parts and differences. The wheel bearings seem like a must to go with replacement treads and the suspension as well. (Not sure which way to go with either.)

After reading Gary's thread I think I would be wise to stay away from hyper detailing the model in the short term. (My hand's aren't as steady as they used to be.) I think concentrating on building a KT that runs well and is fairly, pardon the pun, bulletproof in operation should be my primary goal. A lot of what I read on the site certainly makes it clear that some money spent on the front end will spare me some grief in the long run.

What are some of the thoughts on different tread sets and suspension kits available? Are bearings usually included in wheel sets or added to the existing Tamiya wheels?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Old 05-03-2010, 01:42 AM
Bauer66

Hi jim.
I have a another KT waiting in the wings to build. I purchased a set of 18 tooth sprockets and tracks from Bob, Very nice and smooth. As far as Suspension, I have built them both ways, Stock and modified. I might suggest Trying the Stock suspension first. You can always change it out later. However if you've got the Bucks go for the impact upgrade, Very nice set up.

Trev.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:55 AM
Jim_in_MN

I forgot to ask something.

I've seen a few of you here and there reference a "Stern" build. Is there a particular thread I should look for?

Thanks,

Jim

*updated*

Oh my. Never mind. Found it: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_50..._1/key_/tm.htm

Woof.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:02 AM
Bauer66

That is a gotta read thread...........Enjoy.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:24 AM
StumpyBloke

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wanted to say welcome to the hobby and the site... you have now entered the most addicitve hobby there is on the best forum there is... oh and there is NO escape from either!

Enjoy.

Rich
Old 05-03-2010, 07:28 AM
StumpyBloke

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, if you want to see another mind-blowing build take a look at this..

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7003543/anchors_7003543/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#7003543]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7003543/anchors_7003543/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#7003543[/link]

Rich
Old 04-17-2015, 01:56 AM
Anthony James

Default that is absolutely fantastic

Originally Posted by StumpyBloke
Also, if you want to see another mind-blowing build take a look at this..

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7003543/anchors_7003543/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#7003543]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7003543/anchors_7003543/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#7003543[/link]

Rich
That is a great video I will watch it for my new build

Regards

AJ
Old 04-17-2015, 07:10 AM
MN Tank

Default King Tiger Question

Hi Jim,
Please check out the up dated web-site MNTankfarm.com. There are videos of a King Tiger built by one of our members.
We are a Minnesota RC Tank Club and would be happy to help with any questions.
Ron
Old 04-17-2015, 12:24 PM
M1A2 Commander

Hi Jim and welcome to this great hobby of RC tanks. You defiantly came to the right forum to ask question and to get some great ideas along the way because there are some very talented people on this forum that are more than happy to help.

I did a Tamiya King Tiger build (tutorial 56018) about 5 years ago that may give you some great ideas about building your King Tiger. Hopefully this can help you a little in your build.
http://www.artistichobbies.com/resou...akingtiger.php

If there is any advice that I could give you is just take your time especially when it comes to painting your tank. I think many people rush this part because there anxious in getting it done. Just take your time and make sure you prime your metal parts before putting on your base coat (Main Color).

Here are few other builds I have done to inspire you a little!
http://www.artistichobbies.com/resou...ngprojects.php
Old 04-17-2015, 01:28 PM
danlrc

Jim,
Great to hear another local Minnesotan building a tank!
My first build was a KT. I'm in Brainerd but visit Eagan often - very near you.
Suggest we get together and talk tanks...get in touch through MN Tankfarm.
Ron, in Minneapolis, is starting a tank club - MN Tankfarm. See the website.
My build is here at:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...ers-build.html

Stern's build at:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...ing-tiger.html

hdbeast build at:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...ady-start.html

and many more great builds.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:37 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Guys, this thread is 5 years old...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	holynecropostingbatman.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	2089879  
Old 04-17-2015, 01:44 PM
danlrc

Originally Posted by Ex_Pat_Tanker
Guys, this thread is 5 years old...

Duh! Ya sure... it's been a long winter up nort here in Minnysota.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:46 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I hear you on that score, so glad I don't have to deal with Michigan winters any more...

Its been a while since I saw you, how have you been?
Old 04-17-2015, 11:42 PM
mondo

You can fix the idler problem with some milliput if you don't want to buy the shumo drums.