Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Sweet metal Tanks

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 01:15 AM
lposter

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Sweet metal Tanks

This has probably been posted before but if not, its worth a look.

Nifty tanks in a range of big scales (incl. 1:10 and others) and all metal. From Germany, With not exactly ridiculous prices.

All pictures from http://www.panzermodellbau-hermann.de/modelle.html

If Im breaching copyright with the following pictures (all from the above website) , please just delete.

p

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86637.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	1438635   Click image for larger version

Name:	So43071.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	1438636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44393.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	1438637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc86171.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	1438638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju13815.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	1438639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pg61083.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	1438640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wy48475.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	1438641  
Old 05-19-2010, 06:35 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Sweet metal Tanks

Those are all cool, especially the Marder III.

- Jeff
Old 05-19-2010, 10:26 AM
BiggTony

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet site! Not everyday you see an RC panzer one and two. Still pricey though, but another option to look into! Thanks for posting it.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:45 AM
lposter

Hi ho

I
Still pricey though, but another option to look into!
Iagree the price is a little steep when you add in customs/duty on entry to Norway and the eye watering charges in having 20 or so kg sent by post.

But Iwould love an all metal tank.

The only options Isee are:

1. Buying a static all metal model and taking the pain. Then trying to RCit later.

2. Somehow getting hold of the type of drawing that would allow me a reaonable chance of getting the parts made. The way Isee it is that, as a non-machinist, if Igot hold of an Asiatam metal hull, metal wheels, tracks and as many metal bits (the usual ones: barrel, hatches, various vents/grilles, mudflaps etc) then perhaps Icould have a stab at doing the basic geometries that make up the top of the hull. Mantelt and turret are problems. Then, as the Asiatam system is simple, try and fit those metal parts to the hull.

3. get a student at a local college to do the machining?

If Iever get a metal tank like the ones pictured or the tiger that was supposed to come out of China.....it wont be painted. Just polished.

ON th eother hand....why are they so pricey (1/16 scale) ?

Surely once the cad files are made its just a matter of CNCmachining the parts? If they were sold as a kit with the buyer to fit all the electrics etc......Im just not sure how Isee them costing 3 and 4 thousand euros and dollars? Steel, lubricants etc just cannot be so expensive?

If they were made as kits, with the user to fit after market bits, then they would surely sell in greater volume than 4000 Euro exclusivities?

Ithink Tamiya hasnt helped at all. By setting the virtual price bar so high. The metal tanks do not have the same detail but it seem sthat makers think that if Tamiya cost 1000 dollars and they are coming with a same size tank in all metal then they are justified in charging twice or three times Tamiyas price.

p

Old 05-19-2010, 12:18 PM
BiggTony

I personally don't think that these tanks are "pricey" on a massive scale . But certainly pricey for my pockets.
These tanks such as the one you posted aren't industrial machined on a commercial scale. These are garage/warehouse productions made on a smaller scale which always cost a lot. I believe a lot of the cost is for labor andcraftsmanship. Surely everything that we use when broken down to material cost may be in the realm of a few dollars and cents, even down to the computer your typing on. But when you factor in the grand scale of things from the drafting, engineering, tools, materials, time, etc.....everybody needs to be paid or payment needs to be recouped.
While I agree that I wish these large metal tanks were less pricey and fit with in my budget, I think they're justified to be priced as they are.
Tamiya on the other hand, different story. It cost that much cause they can...not that I think it should, which has really influenced the price of HL after market from what I see. Just my opinion on that. I just don't think Tamiyainfluencedthe large metal tank market in the realm of pricing. Big+Metal=$$ From what I've read on other forums, the big boy tankers think of our scales as many in our scale think of VStanks and FOVs.

I'm certain if you could draw out accurate scale plans, found amachinistwho charged by the hour, and purchased the material....you may find that the cost for his labor and the materials you supplied were damn near close to what those guys are charging.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Pzjgr

ORIGINAL: lposter

ON th eother hand....why are they so pricey (1/16 scale) ?
Hi, they are not 1/16. They are 1/6-1/10 scale. And I think they are more pricey than Armortek but offer more products, Armortek also only does limited runs on their tanks but they are 1/6 all metal.

http://www.armortek.co.uk/
Old 05-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OH mannnnnnn your killing me.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:41 AM
lposter

hi

Hi, they are not 1/16. They are 1/6-1/10 scale. And I think they are more pricey than Armortek but offer more products, Armortek also only does limited runs on their tanks but they are 1/6 all metal.
Youre right there.... (as to scale). Armortek stuff is great but their latest Comet must be nearly 4 and a half grand sterling (with motion and sound)? That must be nearly 5000 euro for a tank that moves with sound? And still requires a 100 hours work to get together.

As to the cost of getting parts machined.....is it not the case that if correct drawings are provided in the correct file format or whatever, and operator just has to put metal in th emachine, set it up, squirt some lubricant and the part is machined pretty much automatically?

Igenuinely have trouble getting my head round how it costs so much. I appreciate that some tanks are built by hand, or to order, or whatever..but Iam also convinced that at least some metal tank manufacturers can produce them just by machining out parts the same way any other machine shop does it.

Have been thinking of trying these guys (http://www.emachineshop.com/) to see how much it would cost to get the awkward bits machined but the software takes a bit of learning....

Meanwhile...heres some cool pics of the guts of a load of German large scale tanks. I love the idea of chains driving shafts .....

All from http://www.rag-modellbau.de/131531/131747.html

In order (Ithink): 1:10 STUG, 1:5 Tiger 1, 1:10 Jagdpanther; 1:8 Leopard.

p

Name:	Mk27522.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	1439132   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg14977.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	1439133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90800.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	1439134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr48150.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1439135  
Old 05-20-2010, 01:03 AM
Perry S.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, it sure can be expensive to machine parts on a small scale. It is much more than giving them drawings and files and out pop the parts. You pay tons for CNC programming time. Then there are margins for the shop. If you doubt it, try sending a part through emachineshop. Back when I was developing 3:1 gearboxes I tried to get them to make simple stamped metal parts, the ones you see on the standard HL gearboxes. Wanted a total of 100 parts. Simple stamped steel, no machining. Over $3k. Not worth it.

Perry
Old 05-20-2010, 01:17 AM
lposter

Hi PerryS

You are probably right. If it was cheap or easy......we'd all be doing it!

As a consolation (or just more tempation)......heres a link to some of the work of Sergey Federov in the Ukraine who is apparently modelmaker for the Kubinka tank museum.

http://www.shipmodels.com.ua/eng/abo...orov/index.htm

His models look excellent and if Imay say so....his weathering/painting is not exactly lacking either!

p

Name:	Nl30855.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1439142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36903.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	1439143   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27015.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1439144  
Old 05-20-2010, 02:13 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Ah yes 1/10 scale.

I have Nil's Panzer I and II. I believe they are two of his best models; although his later offerings are all very good; very solid
construction. I have his track on my Hetzer seen elsewhere on this forum. Nils ( Hermann ) is a stand up guy and a excellent modeler. he is recuperating from some health issues so if you write him he may take some while to reply.

Sergey Federov I know as well; one of the best and again a finer person you could not ask for. I have his KV-I and KV-II and mostly
recently the SU-152 he collaborated on with a friend. Sergey'ss models are not inexpensive either but absolutely superb.

I'm very glad to call Nils and Sergey friend.

Jerry
Old 05-20-2010, 02:36 AM
lposter

Hi Tanque

Ballpark figure........what are we talking about for 1:16 or 1:10 scale tanks from Sergei?

Does he do them to order (ie. to customer specs)?

p
Old 05-20-2010, 08:28 AM
BiggTony

ORIGINAL: lposter

hi

Youre right there.... (as to scale). Armortek stuff is great but their latest Comet must be nearly 4 and a half grand sterling (with motion and sound)? That must be nearly 5000 euro for a tank that moves with sound? And still requires a 100 hours work to get together.

As to the cost of getting parts machined.....is it not the case that if correct drawings are provided in the correct file format or whatever, and operator just has to put metal in th emachine, set it up, squirt some lubricant and the part is machined pretty much automatically?

Igenuinely have trouble getting my head round how it costs so much. I appreciate that some tanks are built by hand, or to order, or whatever..but Iam also convinced that at least some metal tank manufacturers can produce them just by machining out parts the same way any other machine shop does it.

Have been thinking of trying these guys (http://www.emachineshop.com/) to see how much it would cost to get the awkward bits machined but the software takes a bit of learning....

Meanwhile...heres some cool pics of the guts of a load of German large scale tanks. I love the idea of chains driving shafts .....

All from http://www.rag-modellbau.de/131531/131747.html

In order (Ithink): 1:10 STUG, 1:5 Tiger 1, 1:10 Jagdpanther; 1:8 Leopard.

p

Iposter, you can get 3d models here and some other sites, but of course you have to buy them. They can provide them in almost any of the formats required (if the artists lists it as such.)
Old 05-20-2010, 01:44 PM
lposter

Excellent link BIggTOny!

Much appreciated!

p
Old 05-20-2010, 10:52 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

what are we talking about for 1:16 or 1:10 scale tanks from Sergei?
I don't know that Sergey makes anything in 1/16 scale although I'm sure if someone made it worth his while he might.
As for prices, it really depends what you want to purchase. If you are really interested contact him. I've been lucky with
import tax here into the US, however I don't know what the rates are in your country. I really , really wanted the
SU-152. I paid a lot for it in the end. At the time I bought it, it was 1 of 2 they made; don't know if they made more or
how many since.

I know everyone has their pet scale but for me it is 1/10. Big enough to have a good presence when running; big enough
to do my sort of mechanics, just uncommon enough to be curious and small enough to be ( relatively) easy to move
around. That and I've been doing 1/10 for a really long time. Don't get me wrong I enjoy 1/16 a lot but I'm not as active in it
and I thing 1/25 is a really good scale that I wish would get greater attention. I have 2 1/8 models ( Japanese typ 61 MBTs)
but at nearly 120 pounds they are cumbersome. Any of the larger scales are just too large for me.

Jerry
Old 05-21-2010, 12:27 AM
lposter

Tank you for the reply Tanque

Ihave to admit.....1/10 does sound like a convenient scale. I'd have to buy a new car to move 1/6 scale around.

The only thing that concerns me with 1/10 is the inavailability of bits and pieces....you can pick almost anything up in terms of accessories/parts for 1/6 or 1/16.

But 1/10 and even 1/15 seem to be popular in some countries so perhaps availability of such things is just a matter of looking a bit harder.

p
Old 05-21-2010, 02:30 AM
RcTank

Hallo everybody
I recently on this forum,thank you all who knows me!
there are interesting photos from our competitions http://gallery.greedykidz.net/george/contest2/ -2009
http://gallery.greedykidz.net/george/contest/ -2008
and video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9L3IqwuKjQ-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9HMh0jfpqc -2008

Sergei
Old 01-31-2017, 02:22 AM
tiopesao

Hello,

I am fascinated with all this work I did not know. I would like to meet Mr. Federov so as to learn more about his work.

Best regards.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:48 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Where are you from? I know him.