Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Spektum Dx6i on DMD T-08

Old 05-22-2010, 12:47 PM
mizuinu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektum Dx6i on DMD T-08

To summarize my predicament I have the KV1 DMD & MFU. It appears that it has a neutral throttle setting so I cannot get it to run. Anyone using the same radio as mine on the KV1?
I want to do something sacrilegious. hehe
Old 05-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Flyn Chris

Default RE: Spektum Dx6i on DMD T-08

I'm having the same issue with my KV-2, so far no luck.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:33 PM
mizuinu

I have a futaba 7c but still no luck. I am a total noob when it comes to this stuff. So I am stuck........ So many plans, o little funds.sigh
Old 05-22-2010, 01:37 PM
mizuinu

Bah.. no luck with the Dx6i
Old 05-22-2010, 01:52 PM
BiggTony

Don't tell me the DX6i isn't compatible with Tamiya tanks. That's the transmitter I have and my Tamiya won't be in for a week or so.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:58 PM
mizuinu

It ain't bad. I use it on my tamiya JP & KT. It just won't work with my KV1 DMD/MFU. It has some neutral setting it seems
Old 05-22-2010, 02:00 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

I run both my Tamiya KT and Panther on the DX6i and my Tamiya Pershing on the DX5e with no problems .
Is the start up on the Tamiya KV's like the Pershings T-06 dmd unit or is this something else I know the KV uses the T-08 dmd .

Jimmy
Old 05-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I have the Dx6i working with both Sherman and Pershing DMD's. I set the stick travel to 50% for doing the DMD set up, and then cranked the travel to 125% afterwards. I still have to run almost full trim on the left stick to get the mg and cannon to work, but once I have the sweet spot found there is no further need to fiddle with the trim while running.

Not sure if this helps, but it sounds like you have the same need to "put it into gear to move" start up procedure as the Pershing has. I'm not quite at the stage of putting the elctronics in my KV2, so I'd be interested to know if this works or if you find another process.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:04 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

On my Pershing with the DX5e I just move the THRU stick up and down and around a few times and it unlocks it .

Jimmy
Old 05-22-2010, 02:25 PM
mizuinu

It does have a neutral setting. On my Futaba 7c would set the throttle trim all the way down then it would work. I probably didn't wait long enough when I am using the Dx6i when I am fiddling with the trim throttle. But for now, hunger must not be underestimated. It clouds the mind & affects judgment & my patience....
Old 05-22-2010, 03:12 PM
theibault

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a DX6i on my Tamiya KV-1. I have the main gun set to fire with the left shoulder switch marked GEAR and the MG with the far right shoulder switch. The only thing that I can't seem to get working is the light on/off. Brake/reverse works, but can't turn on front light. As far as the throttle goes, when I power on the tank, I have to trim all the way down on throttle trim and I get drive. After I have drive, set the trim to neutral and it works great till I power off tank. Then I have to repeat next time I turn it on. Weird.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:40 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Powering off the tank resets it. This is the same way the Tamiya Pershing performs. Nothing weird about it at all.

- Jeff
Old 05-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Flyn Chris

ORIGINAL: theibault

I use a DX6i on my Tamiya KV-1. I have the main gun set to fire with the left shoulder switch marked GEAR and the MG with the far right shoulder switch. The only thing that I can't seem to get working is the light on/off. Brake/reverse works, but can't turn on front light. As far as the throttle goes, when I power on the tank, I have to trim all the way down on throttle trim and I get drive. After I have drive, set the trim to neutral and it works great till I power off tank. Then I have to repeat next time I turn it on. Weird.
How do you set the transmitter to do that? I'm a complete novice with regards to the DX6i.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:38 PM
theibault

DAK have a radio guide on their homepage. I found it very useful for my setup. I know it has been brought up before. Hope the DAK guys don't mind my linkingn it.

http://web.mac.com/ethandunsford/DAK2/DAK_HOME.html
Old 05-23-2010, 09:06 PM
mizuinu

Well, this is what I have been doing since yesterday. Still can't figure out how to make the MG work though. I am temporarily using my Futaba 7C
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMSAN9DJilA[/link]
Old 05-24-2010, 01:55 AM
RSEA

I drove a KV-2 last night that belongs to Jeff489. He uses a DX5 or DX6 radio (don't remember the specific model #). This was the procedure to take it out of neutral:

1) Hold throttle trim lever all the way down until the beeping stops, then release it.

2) Flick the throttle stick all the way down and then back to center.

3) Hold the throttle trim lever all the way up until the beeping stops, then release it.

4) Tank is now out of neutral and ready to roll!
Old 05-24-2010, 09:44 AM
Panther G

I'll be using the DMD And MF for the KV-1 witha Skysport, anyone have any problems with that radio? It has the old style trims so i dont hink it will be because alot of people use them with the Pershings.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The KV-2 is running a Dx6i transmitter with a AR6110 receiver.  Everything works just fine.  No problems. 
Old 05-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Dugster

This is not a new issue/problem. It is the same as a Peshing, no matter which radio you use. We have two of these on the battlefield already here at DAK working perfectly. One on a DX5 and one on a DX6i.

RTFM (read the friendly manual).
Old 05-24-2010, 02:40 PM
theibault

ORIGINAL: Jeff489

The KV-2 is running a Dx6i transmitter with a AR6110 receiver. Everything works just fine. No problems.
Jeff, what did you do to get the lights working? That's the only bit I haven't sorted out.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:28 PM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

I have KV-1 electronics in my USMC Sherman (diesel engine) and a DX-5e. I have no issues but two things need to be mentioned:

DO NOT FORGET to SET the electronics with the button on the top of the DMD. This should only be necessary after binding the radio! ON both throttle and elevation channels, set the throw of the sticks to about 85% of the full travel. This allows reliable use of the fire controls and throttle release.

IF this is set correctly... You can rev and circle the drive controls (depending on radio setup) and the tank will release with out the trim actions. BE CAREFUL! I have done this for a while with my tanks and I can tell when they are about to run away on me.

And for the newbies and converts... Please remember to remove the bind plug from the receiver.... NUFF SAID!

For those of you with access to a full option hobby store with a well stocked RC counter: Ask them about surplus DX-5e, DX-6, or DX-6i parts. Many new Electric RC planes come with DX-5e and the hobby shops often remove them if the customer already has a DX-7 or alternate radio and "want to make a deal" At the Electric Flight EXPO i found one with receiver for $80. I have picked up 6 radios so far on the cheap and this weekend I found my local store had a pile of them on the floor. Spektrum doesn't supply parts very well so many of these radios serve as donors. I picked up a DX-5 body with all the self centering parts for $5. He had more but told me he needed them for a few other customers and stay tuned for antenna replacements soon!

Old 05-25-2010, 12:47 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jeff, what did you do to get the lights working?
I didn't use the harness supplied with the kit (it is the same harness used by the Pershing).  Reason is because the KV has only 1 headlight and no tail/brake light unlike the Persh which has 2 headlights and a tailight.    I would have ended up using only 1 of the three lights.  Plus, that harness really clutters up the underside of the hull deck. 

On mine, I installed a 7.2v grain-of-wheat lamp, and powered it with a switch (along with a charging jack and battery isolation switch) just inside the driver's hatch.  Of course, I have no radio control of the headlight...but I suppose I could if I wanted to by installing a relay.  I prefer a simple switch on tanks that are battlers and I find that my lights seemingly pump more light than the Tamiya supplied ones.