Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

KV-1, best paint colour match for sprocket/idler

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

KV-1, best paint colour match for sprocket/idler

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 09:50 AM
snakestretcher52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KV-1, best paint colour match for sprocket/idler

My KV arrived today; test ran it and all works as advertised! I need to paint the idlers and sprockets to match the other wheels and body. I'd appreciate a point in the right direction please. Humbrol is what my local model shop stocks.
Thank you.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:38 AM
BiggTony

Default RE: KV-1, best paint colour match for sprocket/idler

Well, if your not experienced in color matching and don't want to deal with trying to figure it out. Your best bet is to repaint the entire tank. The KV comes in a slightly faded, forest green with an overtone of a light yellow-brown in dimmer light. If you want to attempt to color match it, test small batches (one or two drops to figure the best color choices.) A green with more blue in it would be good, such as their Matt Dark Green with the insignia yellow or trainer yellow.

Typically this would make a blue, white, or yellow green in light...but when we're talking paint, this can be a yellow green or poopy green...this is what you want. Slowly make a brown/blue/green with a yellowish overtone. As I've demonstrated with my acrylic ink (picture way below), I dropped yellow-orange ink on a napkin which is close to their Trainer yellow and Sap Green acrylic which is close to their Matt Dark Green and the color match is close, now to slightly fad it, would be a matter of adding the slightest amount of white or light grey....but it would be better to do this as a light filter (modeling term or) overlay wash for more control.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19430.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	1442268  
Old 05-25-2010, 12:09 PM
snakestretcher52

Thanks Tony. I'm thinking #105 Marine Green looks favourite.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:19 PM
BiggTony

According to a picture Hal previously posted, showingreminisceof the original type of color used on a T34/85 that color would be way off. But to be honest, I can't tell if that's moss or the altered state of the original color after being exposed to natural weathering. But if that is the true color.....#88 Matt Deck Green or #80 Grass Green would be my choice to modify.
[img]{akamaiimageforum}/upfiles/490690/Ek15345.jpg[/img]
Old 05-25-2010, 12:40 PM
BiggTony

As I've highlighted in the Pic, there are areas that raise suspicion that it's moss, it appears to be climbing over quite a few layers of paint....but only Hal could verify this, since he lives in Russia.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47611.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	1442304  
Old 05-25-2010, 02:29 PM
snakestretcher52

That's interesting but, as you say, a lot can happen to pigments over the years. As to my painting skills I've decided to buy an inexpensive kit to practise on before ruining a new model!
Old 05-25-2010, 02:36 PM
BiggTony

That's using the noggin! That's what I've done as well, I have several model kits of the Tiger and KV not to mention the Churhill MK II and III. Artillery and military vehicles are fairly new to me. Nothing like painting organics which is second nature to me. I too am having to learn this whole idea of "weathering" and replicating historic colors. Some have described this as being fun......I have yet been able to see the relation.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:19 PM
snakestretcher52

I guess the 'fun' starts when you finally mastered the techniques. I'm in awe of some of some of the fantastically realistic paint/weathering efforts I've seen from some of the guys here. My previous hobby interest was 00 gauge model railways-fortunately many models came factory weathered, and very realistically done in many cases.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:25 PM
BiggTony

Certainly true, but I suppose I'll never fully master it because it requires a lot of studying and researching.........I became an artist for a reason.
Be sure to let us all in on your work in progress with the KV and as said before, be sure to prime those puppies with metal primer. You can prime the rest of the tank with metal primer too if you stay away from sandable metal primer. Sandable metal primer is a bit course, but honestly.....not really a biggie.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:41 PM
snakestretcher52

Take a look at 'The Art of Weathering' by Martyn Welch. Locomotives are the focus but they're iron and steel, same astanks...