Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Heng Long tanks and LiPo batteries?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Heng Long tanks and LiPo batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 11:50 AM
Dmon1996

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heng Long tanks and LiPo batteries?

I've got coming in some LiPo battery packs that supply 7.4v for one of my other hobbies and it started me thinking.... Will LiPo packs work wit hthe Heng Long electronics? Has anyone tried this, and did it work? LiPo's are lighter and easier to work with..... could be a great discovery!
Old 07-27-2010, 12:36 PM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Heng Long tanks and LiPo batteries?

Yes they work but you need a low voltage lipo cut off or some type of alarm because with a tank geared so low it's hard to feel when the battery is getting low and with lipo anything lower than 3V per cell 6V for 2s you will mess up your lipo pack .
Old 07-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Dmon1996

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Got them coming too. Man, that will sure be nicer than the crappy NiMH that come with the tanks....
Old 07-27-2010, 02:25 PM
kclank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used them for a long time. just be careful charging or shorting them
Old 07-27-2010, 03:18 PM
BiggTony

Yeah, the peak charge of a 7.2v Nimh is roughly 8.2v and the HL board doesn't seem to have a problem handling that even though it's for a short duration, (but it's the current rating of the LI-po you should be most concerned with.) I'm not sure but I believe these motors are 20-30A draw.
I've ran li-ions in my Tiger with no problems, I used four 3.7v Trustfire 18650 cells at 3000mAh (Protection board built in) in series/parallelforapproximately6000mAh. I sayapproximatelybecause these batteries seem to have less mAh than advertised and I don't have a way to check the ratings. But they lasted a while. Just a real pain charging them since my charger only charges 2 at a time.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a lot of head aches too me. i'll just keep using my 5000 MAh nims. LOL
Old 07-28-2010, 11:30 AM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I have been researching the LiFepo4 batteries, which kind of fit between a NIMH and LIPO. Lighter than a NIMH, heavier than a LIPO, run at 6.6 volts, and the A123 series of batteries can be charged at around 10amps + for really quick charge times, but you still need a charger that can charge them. They wont burst into flames like a lipo can, and they do not need a low voltage cutoff like lipos, and you can get 1000 cycles out of them. The down fall is that there are not a lot of companies out there that make these yet. Maxamps, A123, Reedy, Venom is going to release some. Maxamps is quite pricey, Venom well there nimh batteries suck, so hopefully these will be better. I have been wanting to jump to lipos for awhile now for my rc trucks but, most of the lipo horror stories are from user error, and some times I can be a numbnut so I don't trust myself But the Lifepo4 batteries look promising. Just my 2c

Cheers,
Wade
Old 07-29-2010, 04:38 AM
city hunter

I'd love to try lipo onmy clod crawler, but since I switched out to 35t's it seems to go forever.

WItht he hl tanks, a good 4200 pack lasts me a few days of screwing around.

You do have to mod hl tanks to get any of the say 4000mah packs to fit. If I were going to run a lipo I would probably be rocking a 8000mah pack just for the uber run time. If your charger does both nimh and lip, you might just want to grab a few 4000mah nimh packs and call it good unless you want to do cutting. Hell even a good 3000mah nimh seems to go forever. I havent been able to sit down in my lawn long enough to kill either on my stug or jagd.