Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Need Help Adding Automated Pistol Port

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Need Help Adding Automated Pistol Port

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 05:41 PM
BiggTony

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Adding Automated Pistol Port

Hey folks, this may be out of my league....in fact, it is out of my league or I wouldn't be seeking help.

What I would like to do is make the pistol port open and at the same time have the barrel of a grease gun poke out by one servo. What I visualize in my head may differ from realistic accomplishments within my realm. But, I really don't need anyone to tell me exactly how to do this, although this would be very appreciative. What I'd like to know is the exact part/servo needed to accomplish this. I'm not reallyfamiliarwith micro servos and how to set them up, but I'm thinking this project could be accomplished by one servo and 2 rods which open and close the pistol port and gun.

I've already added a functional pistol port to my Pershing. Right now, the latch handle is music wire in an 'L' shape which prevent the door from opening further than what's seen in the pic and there's an magnet on the inner surface of the turret to keep the port door closed and the latch handle against the turret when the door is closed. (there's also a small sliver of sheet metal in the port door to keep the hatch closed before I decided to add the latch handle)

Thanks for any advice and help!
Tony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10750.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1475738  
Old 07-30-2010, 05:59 PM
torpedochief

Default RE: Need Help Adding Automated Pistol Port

Hey Tony,

Hummmmmm. It could be done but the electronics might be a bit. I could send you the drawings and PCB for the moving tank commander if you like.

That could beset up to open the door and stick the barrel out.

The only thingthat might stop you is the scale ofthe grease gun would be rather small and hard to see really.

Would you be interested in: The gun fires, the hatch opens and a spent shell casing flys out?

Don

Old 07-30-2010, 06:04 PM
BiggTony

Yeah, Don!

I'd definitely be interested!!!

My initial plan was to have 2 shells fly out of the port after firing two rounds......but I quickly realized that was pure fantasy and would require some sort of programing and what not that I don't know how to do. I was hoping this final thought could be donecompletelyby a simple servo and 2 varied length rods at the end of them. When the servo lever rotates, they open, etc..

I'mdefinitelycuriousabout your idea of the gun putting out shells!!!!!!!!
Old 07-30-2010, 06:23 PM
torpedochief

Well here is a brain storm idea that you can run with if you wish.

Picture one of those cheap dollar store toy guns that shoots the dart with the suction cup. Only in this case we use a small gear head motor that turns two cams. As the first cam rotates it opens the hatch. the second cam draws back a plunger iside a bit of brass tubing that has attached a spring (light spring) as the plunger is drawn back, the "chamber is opened an a single spent casing is dropped in. As the cam continues to rotate the sring passes over a release. The spring tension poops the casing out and as the first cam completes it rotation the hatch comes shut. A micro-switch just like the set used on the recoils then trips and resets the effect.

YOu will have to add at least a 320 Ohm 1/4 watt resistor to get the speed just right.The hatch cam will haveto be largerthan the cam that ejects the shell casing, and you will need to design a shell feed system.

This would be a great little project!

Don
Old 07-30-2010, 08:03 PM
BiggTony

Very interesting idea! I'll run around Big lots or the dollar store tomorrow and see if I can find one of these cheapo toys......that would fit in the turret space. No promises on making this work though! lol

Old 07-30-2010, 09:10 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don, that pistol port is a mis-nomer. It was extremely rare that someone would open it for any reason when enemy troops were in the immediate area. All that was needed was to fire a few rifle or mg rounds at it, and some would get in. It's extremely scary to have a single rifle or mg bullet enter and bounce aroud the turret a couple times. If enemy troops got on the tank, it was normally the tank in front or behind that would hose them off.

When you got the tank to a protected area, the port was opened and whatever you fired was kicked out. The rounds didn't kick out any distance..normally bouncing off the sponson box or wind up laying on the back deck. The idea of a mechanism to shove the rounds out is good. Best idea would to make a device to toss out a couple then close. You could also program the sound module to have a couple clanging noises when the shell casings hit the sponson boxes. If anyone could do it, it would be you.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:42 AM
karel47

yes am interseting to nice idee tony

pattoncommander may i have the drawnings to from your moving commander

thanks guy's
Old 07-31-2010, 01:03 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats not a pistol port , it is the shell casing ejection hatch. the loader would toss out the spent shell casings from that hatch.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:05 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excuse my statement. i did not see in the post that you realized what the port was for Tony.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:09 PM
BiggTony

ORIGINAL: Panther G

Excuse my statement. i did not see in the post that you realized what the port was for Tony.
Not sure what you mean Greg?
The pistol port was intended for defense but as Bill stated, rarely used for such and ultimately became a spent shell exit....in asense, a disposal door. I just wanted to make it into an actual functioning pistol port for theatrical purposes....despiteit's common use.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:14 PM
BiggTony

Duh, I didn't see your previous post!! lol
Old 07-31-2010, 02:24 PM
pattoncommander

Pistol port is an inappropriate name, although it's intital design was for a defense use, it was rarely if ever used as designed. It was a very handy port to open and discard the shell casings that littered the turret floor, and it became its primary use. In every unit to which I was assigned, it was always referred to as the pistol port and I have never heard any other terminology. It was also very handy to empty the pp can, for which the loader was sadly tasked. It was welded shut in later stateside M-46s and discontinued as of the M-47 as it caused a weak spot in the armor.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:14 PM
BiggTony

Well I added a little more detail to the pisto......I mean, port. I know they're actually bolts, but I figure rivets will do....especially since it will rarely be seen open. Still need to smooths some things and surface out and re-strip the color....I may have to break down and actually purchase Olive drab. I think I've wasted more paint than ever trying to come up with an almost accurate if not accurate color. Wouldn't be so difficult if every Pershing models I've seen thus far didn't come in varying greens!!!

Name:	Bz77981.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	1476048  
Old 07-31-2010, 08:04 PM
pattoncommander

Looks good Tony, and the handle is in the correct position. Here are couple shots in locked in open position.

Name:	mk25183.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	572.3 KB
ID:	1476158   Click image for larger version

Name:	yt62246.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	470.5 KB
ID:	1476159  
Old 07-31-2010, 08:37 PM
BiggTony

Thanks Bill, 
I think I just caused myself a tad bit more work by adding the rivets....argh!
I didn't calculate them into my measurements so now the hatch doesn't close all the way. Now I have to pull the insert in the turret back.....anyone know what kind of solvent takes Gorilla Glue off?

Side note. If you go to that museums site, it tells you how to obtain archived photos of what ever you want associated to the marines or US pre or post dated war. Not sure if you've ever contacted any in the source, but.....is this a fee'd service? I find it strange that there are organizations who will supply photos on a whim without compensation. http://www.usmcmuseum.org/News_FormerMarines.asp