Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Need Help ! how to adjust Asiatam torsion bars

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Need Help ! how to adjust Asiatam torsion bars

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 09:33 AM
hulu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help ! how to adjust Asiatam torsion bars

Ipurchased the Asiatam hull of my tiger I. As another Asiatam hull user, Asiatam hull rids high.

I saw someone saidit can be adjust by ture it 1/4 turns in the following thread.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_94...tm.htm#9463814

However, I checked my Asiatam hull, all the torsion bar is quite tight. I don't know how to start it.
Is there anyone can give me some advice?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37712.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	1484202  
Old 08-15-2010, 09:44 AM
kclank

Default RE: Need Help ! how to adjust Asiatam torsion bars

Check the Yahoo groups Imact site. there is all of the data for using Impact products. I have the suspension but have never installed it so i do not have profound knowledge.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:24 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That has nothing to do with the Asiatam torsion bars karel. The Impact units are not what is used in the Asiatam hull. They simply use a rod with loops on the end. If your suspension rides too high what you need too do is disassemble it and twist the rods the opposite direction from which they are installed. Or you can by the softer rods from Asiatam. Now, I have heard conflicting reports on these rods. Some adds say they are stiffer which you do not want some say they are softer which would be the need in your case. My self, i just left them alone. i have had that hull near  a year now and the tank has settled in quite nicely, so it is not really necessary too do anything except run your tank.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:28 PM
johnmar78

I would like a stiff suspension over soft ones. The reason for that is to avoid the tank track being squaded. Also to avoid futher track throwing, i would just leave it alone.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:42 PM
BiggTony

Is it possible that what you're comparing is an old and used suspension vs a new one? While I don't think HL is the epitome of accuracy since they do seem to use various tensioned springs andrandomlydrill those holes that the spring locks in. I say, leave it alone, use it and let the relax in the torsion bars happen on its own instead of clocking them yourself.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:00 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

I can tell you this. I have the Asiatam hull on my Tiger also and after driving it for a while it will settle down a bit. I bought the softer torsion bars, but never needed to install them. I just drove the tank and allowed gravity and weight to do its thing.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:59 AM
dyeager535
My Feedback: (1)

There are only two ways to make "minor" adjustment...bend the stock springs a bit, or, you can try moving the rubber/plastic covers off either end of the torsion bar, and see if that drops it far enough. IMO these aren't necessary to the setup, once the tank is assembled, the torsion bars are never completely "unloaded", which means there should be very, very little metal to metal wear, if any. Both ends are effectively captured anyways.

Bending the springs is not practical IMO, unless you have some sort of fixture setup so you can bend every spring exactly the same. Otherwise, ONE spring with even a tiny bit more tension than the others will make the tank ride high on that end and/or side. I'm there right now, and you have to put every spring in individually, measure ride height each time, then move to the next spring. I haven't found a fast way to do this, it involves stripping the tank down to just the hull, and removing the guides/mounting "rails" for the torsion bars each time you need to install or move a spring. You'd also need to get the "before" weight of the tank, as once disassembled, you need to approximate the loaded weight when swapping suspension. Disassembling and reassembling, only to find you need to completely strip it all over again is not a pleasant experience.

As mentioned, the only factory adjustment is a 1/4 "turn", but it roughly doubles the ride height. Which also means that the swingarms become a pain in assembly/with the tracks off, as they come out of the hull when they point straight down, which is about where they end up clocked a 1/4 turn.

I would have to agree, based on the picture of your tanks, run it, see if it settles. If it doesn't settle on its own, , contemplate adding weight to decrease ride height, if you can get enough in there to get the ride height right.

As to spring tension, you really want the least tension necessary to maintain the ride height necessary. High spring resistance (i.e. thicker torsion bars) coupled with a tank that is too light, will result in poor performance and inaccurate suspension travel...stiff suspension in a "light" tank, when traversing an obstacle, will lead to all weight being suspended on that one torsion bar, and none of the rest of the suspension actually doing any "work". You can/will lose one advantage of a tracked vehicle, which is high contact patch with the driving surface under the entire track, while maintaining a very light pound-per-square inch ground pressure (compared to wheeled vehicles). I believe that's why HL/Asiatam use the very stiff corner shock springs, and weak torsion bars...it makes it very easy to standardize ride height, while still giving a pretty good impression of a working suspension setup, and is actually pretty effective on obstacles.

On both my stock PzIII and StuGIII when climbing over an obstacle head on, the front road wheel lifts the entire front of the tank up due to the stiffness of those front shock springs. Without looking at video, I suspect in a real tank that is not realistic...the front road wheel in that situation should deflect quite a bit, instead of just lifting the tank off the ground.

Anyways, that is my outlook on the situation.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:37 PM
Panther G

Leave them alone, they will be fine and there is no proof that the HL Tiger is not "Too" low which i always though it was. Somebody should be able too tell us.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:36 PM
hulu

Thanks forallyourguysopinions.
Tsiatam torsion is definatly too high... espeicallythat idle wheel. it should almost at same level of road wheel.

I spent almost one day to adjust the torsion bar . it looks better now. but now it seems a litter too low...

Old 08-16-2010, 10:03 PM
johnmar78

mate, actually, YOU ARE RIGHT about the height....I just checked my Tamiya tiger......it looked the same as your picture provided.

I play my tank as bad as my car, so a litttle higher , does it really bother you?
Old 08-16-2010, 10:55 PM
hulu

How could I say... Flankly, yes... Those high idel wheels let me feel it is a T-34 (or that fake tiger in Savd Private Ryan..), not real Tiger...
I will keep thistorsion barssetting for a while. If itgoes down, I will change it back.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:09 PM
Panther G

Personally i would prefer a little more ground clearance so the ride height of my Asiatam Tiger does not bother me at all. the ground we run on has many dips and ruts so it is better to be a little high that too be high centered.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:28 PM
jakeand

My mod for easier ride height adjustment:

http://translate.google.se/translate...n&hl=&ie=UTF-8

Translated by Mr. Google..but I think the pictures will tell all you need

Regards

Jake
Old 08-20-2010, 03:31 AM
GeirMagne

Or you can fit the Impact or Wecohe adjustable. But it's more or less the same as jakeand's mod. Only modification to the Impact/Wecohe suspension is to put on some smal heashrink tube to the end that goes into the suspension arms to minimize the freeplay.