Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya Leopard 2A6

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 08:00 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya Leopard 2A6

Keep in mind Dan, that the Tamiya LEO sprockets wont fit on conventional gearboxes without an adapter.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Panther G

Oh , we should have some sprocket adapters turned by the middle of this week, so I should have them in hand by next week.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:42 PM
HG1980
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice
Old 08-27-2010, 09:54 PM
pcsguy88

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YHR, I'll let you know if the return rollers will work on the HE hull. Looks like they were all on Parts spruce B. I even sprung for the rubber roadwheels in hopes they fit correctly.

Sure wish I could change the title of this thread.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:55 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Panther G

Keep in mind Dan, that the Tamiya LEO sprockets wont fit on conventional gearboxes without an adapter.
Do the HE sprockets work with the Tamiya track????

Dan
Old 08-28-2010, 08:58 AM
YHR

ORIGINAL: pcsguy88

YHR, I'll let you know if the return rollers will work on the HE hull. Looks like they were all on Parts spruce B. I even sprung for the rubber roadwheels in hopes they fit correctly.

Sure wish I could change the title of this thread.

Please put together a usable Tamiya parts list when you are working on this, for us that will be getting to it later. It would be a great help.

My Tank arrived yesterday, but my Daughter thought it was beneath her to answer the door!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So instead of a tank I got a delivery notice from Puralator telling me to come and get it on Monday[:@]
Old 08-28-2010, 09:55 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: YHR

My Tank arrived yesterday, but my Daughter thought it was beneath her to answer the door!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So instead of a tank I got a delivery notice from Puralator telling me to come and get it on Monday[:@]
You have one of those too? I swear, if my daughter was expecting a package she'd break the door down answering it. Anyone else and it goes unanswered.

- Jeff
Old 08-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Panther G

No the HE sprockets dont work with anything. You will need to gut out everything in thedrive train.

Here is a list of parts I used on my LEO and Abrams
Tamiya LEO 2A6 sprockets
Tamiya LEO 2A6 tracks
Custom maderoad wheelspacers by myself Theidler wheel spacer should be cut into 2 sections and glued together inplace as the wheels do not want toseparate. Be very careful of how much glue is used as I accidentally glued one of the wheels to the shaft. It was not fun fixing that mistake.
Custom madeaxleadapters for gearbox to sprocket
Tamiya Panther G gear boxes, you can use any gear box you want, the axel adapters can be made to work with any of them depending on how much shim tape is needed.
Aluminum tape for shimming.
I did not need to use return rollers on the LEO or the Abrams but it would not be a bad idea.
You need to fabricate a custom mounting plate for the gear boxes and the LEO and Abrams need 2 different plates as hull mounting is different. I can supplydimensionsfor these although I have no intention of making them. I could if someone really needed help with them but that is all.

Note- The HL Pershing sprockets will not fit the Tamiya LEO tracks., This would be an easier conversion but the Pershing sprockets are too narrow. If they could be spaced wider without a problem then they would work and then shaft adapters would not be needed as they are for the Tamy LEO sprockets only.

I may need to write a manual on this upgrade with pics.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:21 PM
YHR

Thanks for the Tips G. I have been going back and forth between Tam track or possibly HL Pershing. The HL option would make everything easier, but would lose some authenticity.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:29 PM
Panther G

Plus you need to buy 2 complete sets of Pershing tracks as one set is not enough. I'm not sure if a spare link set is enough, not likely. I was hoping to find out if the Pershing sprocket can be spread further apart and still work. Do you have one you can look at Dan? I wouldappreciateit.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:19 PM
pcsguy88

Needing 2 sets of Pershing tracks is what steered me to the Tamiya tracks. Well, that and the fact the only metal Pershing sprockets come with the metal tracks.

Once I figure out all of the parts I'm using, I'll post the list. I also grabbed a set of the Tamiya decals since the HE ones are just shiny stickers.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:44 PM
YHR

I guy should be able to separate the the sprockets and add a Spacer?????. I 'll try this approach and let you know.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:07 AM
pcsguy88

I'm going to try to reverse the inner roadwheels to avoid buying the spacers if possible with the Tamiya tracks. I only have $60 before I go over my starting budget and depending on how much the sprocket adapters are, I might already be there.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:59 AM
Panther G

Splitting the idler wheels is next to impossible and can ruin the wheels. They are pressed on a nylon bushing that is pressed on a knurled shaft. the best thing to do is get the wheel spacer set, which has 2 idler wheels which also are narrower than the rest of the wheel spacers. Slice them into 2 peices and glue them back on the wheels. This is THE only way to do this with out the risk of destroying the idler wheels. You can cut corners here guys, there are no spare parts to be bought if you screw something up. So use my parts from Phill at RCTankwars and ask him how they work. He was very hppy with the system.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Panther G

the sprocket adapters shpuold be about 20.00 bucks before postage. which should only be a couple of bucks.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:19 PM
pcsguy88

I got the full price list and am just waiting for my Tamiya parts before I order from Phil.