Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tank tread pin removal

Old 08-22-2010, 10:34 PM
88mm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tank tread pin removal

I know this is a simple and basic task, but everytime I try to remove a pin from tracks on a tank, I get clumsy and always end up breaking a delicate part. I was wondering what your best proven tools/techniques are? Thanks.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:37 PM
BiggTony

Default RE: Tank tread pin removal

This is your friend. Cut the pin point off of the tack and this works just fine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97773.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	1488597  
Old 08-22-2010, 10:37 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a small 90 degree pick that I simply insert into the hole and tap lightly with a screwdriver handle. They come out easy enough usually.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:41 PM
88mm

Thanks BiggTony and yellowshaker. I'll give both a try.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:19 AM
sassgrunt
My Feedback: (1)

I have found that trying to hold a small-diameter rod, AND a small hammer, AND the tracks - all at the same time - is just too clumsy for me, most of the time. I have had a lot of luck using a small spring-loaded center punch in one hand and the track in the other. The General Tools punch that I'm posting a link to has a really slender point that usually manages to start the pin moving in one or two clicks - just enough to get ahold of the end with pliers or vise-grips. Any further and you risk the taper of the punch opening up the hole.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/44...c_Center_Punch
Old 08-23-2010, 10:48 AM
RCCOMMAND

ORIGINAL: sassgrunt

I have found that trying to hold a small-diameter rod, AND a small hammer, AND the tracks - all at the same time - is just too clumsy for me, most of the time. I have had a lot of luck using a small spring-loaded center punch in one hand and the track in the other. The General Tools punch that I'm posting a link to has a really slender point that usually manages to start the pin moving in one or two clicks - just enough to get ahold of the end with pliers or vise-grips. Any further and you risk the taper of the punch opening up the hole.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/44...c_Center_Punch
I go with both the push pin method or the center punch, whichever is within reach when I need it. The auto center punch works wonders and quick. To your point about opening up the hole at the entry point of the punch in the track, I removed my tip, and machined it to the diameter of the smallest track pins and I've also removed the stout original spring in the auto punch and replaced it with a much lesser one, offering just enough "kick" to remove the pin, first hit every time. The auto punches I use I get for under $5. Follow these guy's advice, 88mm and you won't go wrong.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:56 PM
pzrwest

When removeing HL track pins you need to find out which end of the track pin is knurreled and push it out from the opposite end. you press the pin out from the unknurreled end so the knurreled end comes out of the track link first.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:18 PM
88mm

Thanks everyone! Funny, I've had a spring-loaded center punch in my tool box for ages. In the words of Homer Simpson, "d'oh"!
Old 08-24-2010, 06:46 PM
bowlman

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

On my Impact tracks you can't get to the end of the pins the tracks have a cover molded in so I take a small screwdriver and a handel of an old screw driver and tap on the edge of the head at an angle to get pin to move then use a pair of wire cutters to pull pin up and then its free to come out .

Jimmy
Old 08-24-2010, 06:48 PM
bowlman

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Hi Bill how you been .

Jimmy
Old 08-25-2010, 08:59 AM
RCCOMMAND

Hello Jimmy - good to see your posts, as always. I'm just trying to get things back on track on my end.

See you around!