Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Better smoke fluid

One of the nagging problem of the commercial "fog juice " used our smoke units is the amount of liquid residue clogging the exhaust pipes ...
    I believe that the problem resides in the fact that most of those products are using distilled water as solvent and that the temperature of the heater in the smoke units is not high enough to evaporate water .....Thus that liquid residue ....
    The solution is to replace water by alcohol ...

Yes " BiggTony " you can say " I told you so a long time ago " as by your posting : RE: Heng Long Tiger Smoke Unit Repair and Mod - 1/3/2010 2:17 AM ....

You were mentioning using vegetable " glycerin " mixed with " absolute vodka " ...
    I still rather drink the vodka than blow it in smoke :
    So I settled for a mix of Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol 70 % USP and glycerin in a 2/1 ratio ....
    ( 200 ml of alcohol / 100 ml glycerin ) ...
    In any case you had the right idea ....
    The following video represent an extreme set up of a smoke unit and has been running for more than 6 hours non-stop ( I have to refill the smoker every 50 minutes ) without the exhaust pipes clogging .....

www.youtube.com/watch

Heated debates about climate changes contribute to global warming!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Better smoke fluid

Is this for a Russian tank? All the hassle with smokers, when unless it's a cold engine on a cold day or an older engine with bad rings, the normal tank is not going to smoke much at all once it's warmed up and going. Russian tanks, especially the T-54 thru t-80s smoke like crazy but they're diesel and everything coming out exhaust port on the side.
    HL M-26, M-46, M-41B, T-34/85, IDF M-51 (2)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The idea isn't actually mine. I've been a smoker for 15 plus years and (technically) quit over a year ago by use of an electronic cigarette, which uses the same method as these smokers with out the motorized pump (of course) and much smaller with intense heat. Most avid users of this product concoct their own nicotine juice (fog juice) using a ratio of minimal water, alcohol(vodka), PG or VG or both andpharmaceuticalnicotine at what ever ratio per ml. Because we ingest this through throat and lungs, well....that's where I recommended vodka rather than 70-91% isopropyl alcohol. don't see why either method wouldn't work.
    VG tends to smoke quite a bit more than USP PG for whatever reason in the electronic cigarette department, so this is why I recommended that as well. Either one still produces quite a bit of vapor/fog but nevertheless.........I told you so.LMAO
    Need Tamiya 1/35 T72-M1 (model) instruction manual. Please contact me if you either have no use for it or can make a copy.

No this one is for test purpose only ...I figure that if a higher than normal level of smoke don't plug the pipes ; a more realistic lower level should work even better ....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

find a way to color the smoke black and it would be a killer system for the t-55.
    HL M-26, M-46, M-41B, T-34/85, IDF M-51 (2)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have followed with interest your prior threads and did note that at some point you were experimenting with different resistor values and wattage. So which one has turned out to be the best combination- 12 ohms, 1/2 watt? 6 hours running time seem reliable enough. Thanks-Gerry

I am now using a 14 Ohms 1 watt Ceramic coated Wire wound resistor ....They are a lot harder to burn than the carbon film resistors I was using before ...They can also run dry for a while without self destructing ...
    My problem right now is not how to produce a lot of smoke ; I can do that easily ...Trying to control the smoke level in a more realistic way is proving thrickier than I tough ...Of course having the smoke fluid plugging the exhaust pipes doesn't make the task any easier ....Hence the present experiment ....
    Now if I could also produce black smoke( without poisoning myself or my neighbors ) as suggested by Pattoncommander ; that would be the icing on the cake ..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

All though I haven't been able to quit entirely I really do enjoy my Green smoke electroniccigarette. My mother who has smoked 2packsa day for 40 years is down to 2 packs a week thanks to these electronic wonders.
    Tamiya Panther G, HL/Tamiya TigerI, WSN/HL T-34/85, WSN/Tamiya T-34/85, WSN/HL DBCRC2 T-34/85, HL/Tamiya Pershing, Mato/Tamiya Sherman,HL KV-1, HL Pz III, HL/Custom scratch JP, HE/Tamiya Abrams, HE/Tamiya LEO 2A5, Vs Abrams M1A1, Vs T-72, HL Bergepanthe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If it helps, I mixed a bit of 2 stroke oil with alcohol. I did this in my Tiger 1 and got very dark smoke as a result. Of course, it's not a good idea to run this indoors. It looks good outside though.

Thanks for the tip ....I've got to try that ....Though I'm not sure if I'm ready to have a group of environmentalists camping at my doorsteps ...
    That been said ; using alcohol in the mix instead of water might open up possibilities as to create colored smoke ....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you have it smoking enough to attract that much attention, I think it would be fair to say that you re-invented fire LOL

In fact ; if you take a closer look at the video ; beside the new smoke fluid ; I'm also using an improved compact version of the pulse re generator that I posted a couple weeks ago ....I'm also using 15 1/2 " long flex straws as tail pipes ( meaning you could install that unit in the front of a tiger tank and still have too much smoke at the tail pipes )

Has anyone created a unit yet that smokes more at the proper times..like big puffs when it first starts up and when it accelerates?
    Always do everything you ask of those you command.
    -General George S. Patton

I have already solved the starting problem ; as per this video ....Now getting the puff of smoke for a sudden acceleration or deceleration is a little bit harder to do ...but i'll get it ....eventually ....www.youtube.com/watch

Wow I wish I could get my smoker to do that...Good luck with that. And I will love to see how that turns out please post videos of that if you get that working.

Always do everything you ask of those you command.
    -General George S. Patton

ORIGINAL: tankmaster5001

Has anyone created a unit yet that smokes more at the proper times..like big puffs when it first starts up and when it accelerates?
    I finally managed to do just that ...I modified my smoke unit so I have 2 different output levels : an adjustable low output level to simulate a normal running engine and a high output coming in short burst to simulate starting and acceleration ...I have yet to design the electronic control to hook up to the throttle ...In the following video , I'm using a timer to create a 2 seconds pulse for demonstration purpose ...

And yes !! Following Yellowshaker's advice , I'm running my unit with " pure " 2 stroke outboard motor oil ; which gives me a light blue smoke ( more like a gas engine ) ....

]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd0dSrgOm5M

My video link didn't work ...Let's try again ....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd0dSrgOm5M

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

And, with all this alcohol floating around , there are bound to be real Fires that aren't easily seen. Alcohol burns with no color. make sure the black smoke isn't your tank plastic burning. LOL
    Tamiya Panther G, HL/Tamiya TigerI, WSN/HL T-34/85, WSN/Tamiya T-34/85, WSN/HL DBCRC2 T-34/85, HL/Tamiya Pershing, Mato/Tamiya Sherman,HL KV-1, HL Pz III, HL/Custom scratch JP, HE/Tamiya Abrams, HE/Tamiya LEO 2A5, Vs Abrams M1A1, Vs T-72, HL Bergepanthe

Well I'm not using alcohol anymore but if I ever set my tank in fire by accident ( I smoked a few board in my experiments ) I'll make sure I have the video camera ready ...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Panther G

And, with all this alcoholΒ*floatingΒ*around , there are bound to be real Fires that aren't easily seen. Alcohol burns with no color. make sure the black smoke isn't your tank plastic burning. LOL
    Now we will need real fire extiguishers and on board fire suppresion systems....LOL
    Join us at NEAD: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/queenspanzergroup/
    He who ends up with the most toys wins!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just windering if there was a non patrolium based smoke fluid or something i could use with silicone tubing