Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

First Tank Decision Help Please

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

First Tank Decision Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Thorfinn
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Tank Decision Help Please

Well I’ve been reading and reading some more. I have decided on getting a tank from Matomart. An all metal upgraded. Not sure which one yet. Could use some advice there. WWll for sure and I like the looks of the German tanks. Panzer lll, Panzer IV F2 or Tiger?

A couple questions. How come the tanks matomart sells are 10 speed but the same tanks at other dealers are only 2 speed? What tank is the best out of the box?

I am currently building a 500 size heli from Hobby King. I have other helis, several planes and trucks. I know this tank will need maintenance probably right out of the box.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Perry

Old 09-01-2010, 08:40 AM
BiggTony

Default RE: First Tank Decision Help Please

ORIGINAL: Thorfinn

A couple questions. How come the tanks matomart sells are 10 speed but the same tanks at other dealers are only 2 speed? What tank is the best out of the box?

Hi Perry,

Basically, any Heng Long tank that has the option of smoke and sound is 10 speed from any retailer....it's normally a cut and paste description from a non-smoke and sound version. So just rely on the description of Smoke and Sound to determine if it has variable speed.

You're gonna get mixed opinions about best out of the box, but the most common one you'll likely get being at the top of therecommendationsis the Panzer III ausf. L and Panther G/JagdPanther running second (I like to think it's the KV-1 though since I own that one and love it the most out of the Panzer III and Tiger I.)
The Panzer ausf. H isn't exactly the most popular for modeling purposes, but same concept. The one least best out of the box is the Tiger I in my opinion. It's HL's first tank and not designed for hull strength and the later on option of metal tracks and gearbox.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-01-2010, 08:40 AM
karel47

if this is your first expierence with tanks i would propose that will go for a tamiya, while building it you learn how it works to and they run without minor isseu's wich some HL or matotanks will have.

You can buy tamiya stuff for 400$ on dave4what on ebay

lokk at it you won't be disapointed in it

An upgraded mato will cost also 200$ or more so give it a thought
Old 09-01-2010, 08:52 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Panther and Jagd are good tanks. MAtomart has a sale on. You can buy an airsoft version for $69 right now. The iR version allows IR batlting out of the box, but they are not compatible with Tamiya. For me I would spring for the 69 Airsoft, have fun with that for awhile, buy a DBC for IR batlting later which is compatible with Tamiya. (Sorry a DBC is an aftermarket electronic add on that gives you momentum, gets rid of the annoying HL recoil and adds IR batlting capability.)

Tamiya is a good product, and having to build one actually prepares your for the maintenance ahead. Trust me there is always maintenance ahead, and I don't care what brand you have.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:41 AM
Thorfinn

Thanks all for the good info. I have some thinking to do.

Perry
Old 09-01-2010, 09:50 AM
tankmaster5001

Personally I like the KV-1 its a big tank but it can go almost anywhere.  Although its a ugly tank I like it.  Its also reliable  tracks don't slip.  Mato is a pretty good place to buy from alhtough it can be on the more expensive side especially shipping wise.  I just bought a Panzer III from them and they has excellent service.  If you want a cheaper tank you can try raidentech.com  But I must warn you some people have had problems with them and their customer service is bad but the prices are good and free shipping. Hope this helps.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Thorfinn

I'm leaning towords the Panzer lll all metal. I plan to paint and weather it. Or since probably won't run it much I should go with the Panzer 4 f2 fro $69?

Old 09-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: YHR

The Panther and Jagd are good tanks. MAtomart has a sale on. You can buy an airsoft version for $69 right now.

YHR............
Thanks for the heads up on the Mato sale............I just got another KV-1. I might get another Jagdpanther as well.

Ya made my day!
Old 09-01-2010, 11:54 AM
karel47

and took any decision already? Which tank is your prefered one
Old 09-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Thorfinn

I think the Panzer 4 f2 for $69 is the way I'll go.  With the 500 apache heli project my hobby money is slim.  This will give me a start for under $100  Thanks for all the help.

Perry

Old 09-01-2010, 03:07 PM
dash69

Hello Perry,

I have had a Pershing , Pz3 and 4. The Pz3 has lots of upgrades available and is an excellent runner. I found the Pz4 was harder to upgrade the gear boxes but it too is a good runner.

The KV-1 IMO is on sale now and it is super sturdy and dependable. Lots of room and will climb telephone poles. THere is no proof of this but rumors do exist. lol

I see you chose the Pz4. No worries lots of help here no matter what you choose.

Best of luck and post your tank pics. We would love to see them.

THe metal bearing supports available for all tanks is worth considering. They really make a difference.

Be well,

David

Old 09-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Thorfinn

David,

The Pz3 comes with a metal gear box, if i'm reading it right. What's to upgrade? Am I missing something? The only thing I might want in the future would be the metal drive wheels and tracks. Do you know if they are available? $69 seems like to good a deal to pass up. I looked at the KV-1 but I'm more into German tanks than Russian. Is the KV-1 much bigger than the Pz3?

Perry

Old 09-01-2010, 04:22 PM
BiggTony

Oh yeah, a lot bigger. About 5 or so inches longer....the largest WWII tank would be the King Tiger but I guess they discontinued the Mato King Tiger so you'll have to wait for Heng Long to release theirs (when ever that is) or go Tamiya. I think the second largest would be the Panther G at a close tie to the Tiger I. PIII is a baby tank and the PIV is it's bigger brother.

Anyway, there's tons of after market upgrades for these tanks. You can have a look see at Welshdragonmodels.co.uk, Rctankwars.com, Rccommand, RC-Tank-world.com, etc. The Panzer III is one of the three tanksavailablewith an after market metal hull to add morerealismand a vastly improved suspension, the other two would be the Tiger and KV-1. The Tiger I is more of a neccessaty rather than an option if you want trouble free, unless you can make themodificationsrequired on your own.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: BiggTony

Anyway, there's tons of after market upgrades for these tanks. You can have a look see at Welshdragonmodels.co.uk, Rctankwars.com, Rccommand, RC-Tank-world.com, etc.
And Perry, don't forget to check out [link=http://www.etoarmour.com/]ETO ARMOR[/link] as well. Very fast shipping and just about all you will need for your tanks needs.

- Jeff
Old 09-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Thorfinn

Are the Mato tanks not all Heng Longs?  The Mato website shows the Pz3 at 46cm long, the Pz4 at 40cm  and the KV-1 at 42cm.  Maybe we are not looking at the same tanks?  Some say Heng Long and some don't.  Now I'm confused, again!

Perry
Old 09-01-2010, 05:07 PM
tankmaster5001

Most of the tanks are heng longs.  The Sherman is a Mato.  The reason for the lenghts being the way they are is because they include barrel length.  The Pzs have long barrels the kv-1 has no barrel past the front.  Thats why the lengths are the way they are.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:42 PM
BiggTony

ORIGINAL: Panther F

ORIGINAL: BiggTony

Anyway, there's tons of after market upgrades for these tanks. You can have a look see at Welshdragonmodels.co.uk, Rctankwars.com, Rccommand, RC-Tank-world.com, etc.
And Perry, don't forget to check out [link=http://www.etoarmour.com/]ETO ARMOR[/link] as well. Very fast shipping and just about all you will need for your tanks needs.

- Jeff
Thanks for bringing that to atttention. Now that I've gone Tamiya crazy,I keep forgetting that Bob has stuff for HL's too. Sorry Bob!
Old 09-01-2010, 05:47 PM
BiggTony

Are the Mato tanks not all Heng Longs? The Mato website shows the Pz3 at 46cm long, the Pz4 at 40cm and the KV-1 at 42cm. Maybe we are not looking at the same tanks? Some say Heng Long and some don't. Now I'm confused, again!

Perry
Tankmasters right. Barrel length is factored into the total size of the tank. If I recall correctly from the last time I measured my PIII against my KV1, the KV is around 17 inches long and the PIII is roughly 13 inches...this is just hullmeasurement. The Tiger I is wider than the KV-1 and about an inch or two shorter than the KV-1, but if you include the barrel to the Tiger I, it's about 20 inches long. Only way your going to know the actual hull size is if you scale up from areferenceddrawing/model or ask somebody.

The Sturmtiger, Kingtiger, and Sherman is Mato. The T34/85 is WSN Trumpeter. The rest are Heng Longs.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Glen B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the Panzer 4 f2for $69 is the way I'll go.
Me too!

Thanks YHR

I caught this thread at noon hour at the office, I read there at noon sometimes but don't post.

It lead me to check the Mato site and I saw the Panzer IV, one of the tanks on my "short list" was on sale; order has been placed

The cost is actually $89.00 before tax and shipping, but still too good for meto miss.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Thorfinn

Done deal. Thanks everyone. Went with the Pz4 F2. I just liked the way it looks.

Perry