Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tiger I early, in panzer grey and with Feifel filters

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tiger I early, in panzer grey and with Feifel filters

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 11:25 AM
rva1945

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiger I early, in panzer grey and with Feifel filters

I want my Tiger I Early painted panzer grey, as the first Tigers which fought in Soviet Union.

I converted it to RC and I find the Feifel filter very useful in holding the deck in place, but I wonder, were there grey Tigers with those filters? Which companies or battalions?

As far as I know those filters were intended for tropical zones but some of them were used in central and south Soviet Union, is it right?

BTW, my Tiger undergoing running tests: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tFVrsn-VXk

Thanks
Old 09-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tiger I early, in panzer grey and with Feifel filters

The Das Reich Tigers still had their Fieffels on the Zitadel offensive. 2 that I know of also had some Dark Yellow patches painted on them. Don't know if this helps with the Yellow camo. "TIKI" was one of them. i'm sure some could have left the yellow off. Anything is possible since there may not be any sure proof otherwise.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:46 PM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

By Kursk all DR Tigers were yellow with either green or brown stripes some had green and brown stripes, Tiki is pictured before Kursk and was grey with yellow camo by Kursk it was yellow with green camo and no name as this would have given away the unit hence why the unit didn’t use the usual wolfsangle but instead used two vertical bars joined at the bottom and the pixie on the turret side this is thought to have come from a packing case,
Tigers in grey could be 102,103 plus a few other including the 3 main SS abteilung but in all cases this would have been before Kursk

Old 09-05-2010, 05:08 PM
rva1945

And those gray 102, 103 Tigers didn't have the Feifel filters, did they?
Old 09-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Saxondog

GROSSDEUTSCHLAND DIVISION 13TH COMPANY, GREY Tigers issued to them in Feb. continued in use during and after Kursk when they wereexpandedinto three companies This first link gives specific information about the TIGERS in the 13th company including their color and version as delivered and how they were first used..http://members.shaw.ca/grossdeutschland/tigers.htmThe next two links detail their numbering and marker system,changes that took effect in 1943 and how these changes wereimplementedwithin the Grossdeutschland Division. Also note worthy are the killratiofiguresas Grossdeutschlandachievedthe highest kill ratio per Tiger of any Panzer Group. They were often called the fire brigade and fought in every action of note in the Eastern Front until the end when survivors were handed over to the Russians, very few came back to Germany.

Note: I havelittleknowledge of the SS units and their numbering,coloring or how they were deployed. I am not disputing anyone's posted information, I am just providing information and the source of that information about the Grossdeutschland Division

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grossde....9Fdeutschland

http://www.members.shaw.ca/grossdeut.../gdvehicle.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60819.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	1496004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17191.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	1496005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22979.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	1496006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74554.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1496007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28567.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	1496008  
Old 09-06-2010, 07:14 AM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My GD Tiger B12 still has the fiefels even with  the three color camo so as riviet says anything is possible.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:18 AM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The answer to your question is yes and no, all Tiger battalions received Tigers with and without Fifels in 42-43 this is down to a few factors one being that it’s only modellers who class Tigers as Early, mid and late, when in fact they should be called by the month they were released as modifications and up-grades happened all the time as did deliveries and in the years 43-43 there was a vast amount of changes one simply can’t look at an early picture from the winter of 42 and say that all early Tigers delivered to that particular unit were all the same, I have no intentions of listing all the alterations to Tigers here best thing you can do is buy a few decent books and research the subject yourself don’t try and rely on web sites you will find that a lot are wrong and have miss caption pictures
Old 10-06-2019, 03:39 PM
Byrden

Sorry to jump into this ancient thread, but I have new information.

The answer appears to be "no".

There were only about 25 grey Tigers and we have plenty of photos. None of them show Feifels. Only nine of these Tigers were in southern Russia where Feifels would be required in summer; they were very probably repainted by then.

"Das Reich" and "Grossdeutschland" had no grey Tigers ever, despite what you see in artists' depictions.

See Grey Tigers

David
Old 10-07-2019, 01:21 AM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

I recently watched a video of the "Bovington Tank Museum's curator talking about German RAL numbers as applied to Tiger 1s although for obvious reasons mainly to "131" and it surprised me that "Dunkelgrau" was removed from the inventory quite early and not only was "Dunkelgelb used but that it was applied universally at the factory to all Tiger1s prior to delivery.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:50 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

It's important to note several of the 'early' Tigers in 1941 (first of which sent to Russian front) were in such haste

many final pieces to be installed were missing of what is considered a 'production' Tiger

Filters being one of these items
Old 10-07-2019, 03:26 AM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by heavyaslead
It's important to note several of the 'early' Tigers in 1941 (first of which sent to Russian front) were in such haste

many final pieces to be installed were missing of what is considered a 'production' Tiger

Filters being one of these items
1941 ???
The first two prototype Tiger 1s were shown in public for the first time on "April 20th (Mr Hitlers Birthday) 1942", Production of the Tiger 1 started in August 1942,In the same month the first four Tiger 1s saw action in the Leningrad area, all being knocked out but recovered for repair.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:05 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry, my bad 1942 is correct!
Old 10-07-2019, 05:40 AM
Byrden

Yes, those first nine grey Tigers sent to the Leningrad area didn't even have the attachments for Feifel filters.

David