Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tank newbie looking for help/recomendations

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tank newbie looking for help/recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 08:05 AM
vano12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tank newbie looking for help/recomendations

I ordered a S&S metal upgrade from raidentech and it came with a 1700 battery. I guess it depends on the vendor - Matto offers a better battery I think.

Btw question on Tamiya tanks for the experts - I was looking at what they have over at the Tank Museum store and basically you can get a kit for about $700 for several models. Those same kits but full-option, including RC unit/receiver, cost 1400 at Tamiya USA. Is it cheaper toget a kit from the Tank Museum and order a transmitter and receiver separately?
Old 09-27-2010, 06:09 PM
nikg

I have plenty of extra NIMH batteries...old GP3300's that will work just fine, so the upgraded battery is not a concern as long as the tank has S&S and hopefully the metal motor. (I don't understand what they mean about plastic motor...how can a motor be plastic? Do they mean plastic gears?)

Anyway, my son and I have narrowed it down to the Pershing Snow Leopard, M41A3Bulldog and German Panther (Not sure if this is Panther G that everybody talks about). Of these three, any recommended over the others? The tracks and wheels/suspension look different on the Panther than the other two. Otherwise, I think their features are all about the same (speed, turret functions, airsoft etc)

Thanks again for the input guys.
Nik
Old 09-27-2010, 07:42 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes it is ALWAYS more cost effective to buy it from Karen at the museum. You can get a 2.4 radio for 50.00 bucks now. Tamiya is still selling that lame 27hz AM radio.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:45 PM
GatlingGun

The issue I have with the 27 mhz band (11 Meter band)is it is also the band for Citizens Band radio thus you can get some interference from a CB radio. I have had a bit of hit and miss interference from CB radios but Ilive in the sticks so it is not to bad an issue. My 1/12 scale tanks came with 40 mhz radio gear so not an issue there. Iknow in the past when I had a toy as a kid that was RC and operated in the 27 mhz band they wold not work to well.

Rick
Old 09-27-2010, 09:55 PM
Panther G

The HL tanks only use 27. You dont get a choice in the US, now they do have 10 channels for it now but that's the way it is unless you install a DBCRC2 which you can use a hobby grade radio.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:56 PM
Panther G

Doesn't matter, the batterries that come with the tanks are all junk, some come with 2000's well most come with 2000's now so ditch them and buy some good packs.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:24 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

OK, so I'm new here too and I'm intrested in the DBCRCU2 for my fleet. I know the Hen Long transmiter is sloppy and lower grade but what are the advantages of the hobby grade transmiters? After the investment of time and money would I be impresed?
Old 09-28-2010, 09:03 PM
nikg

Sorry to interrupt, but any feedback on the possible tank choices listed a few posts up?

Anyway, my son and I have narrowed it down to the Pershing Snow Leopard, M41A3Bulldog and German Panther (Not sure if this is Panther G that everybody talks about). Of these three, any recommended over the others? The tracks and wheels/suspension look different on the Panther than the other two. Otherwise, I think their features are all about the same (speed, turret functions, airsoft etc)

Thanks
Old 09-28-2010, 09:17 PM
Panther G

Do some searches on this forum. Know what it is you want to buy. The Panther G would be the one you want if it is a panther you want to buy. Some sites still sell the older original Panther that is incorrect, beware of these sites. make sure they advertise it as the Panther G. Any of the three you listed would be good choices. The only other one i wouldrecommendas a starter tank would be the PzIII.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:02 PM
nikg

Thanks Panther G. I have looked through the forums but still wasn't sure about some things. Still not sure if the Panther at Raidentech is the Panther G or not. They have the $70 models that I know are not new, but not sure if the S&S model is necessarily the G.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:30 PM
vano12

It could be the Panther G but it's best to ask their sales. The photos on their website seem to show the first Panther that everyone hates since it looks like a cross between a Tiger and a Panther. However they may not have updated the photos and could actually be carrying the Panther G as well.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:06 PM
bananapirate

to clear up any confusion, this is the Panther to AVOID

and this is the Panther G you want

Old 09-30-2010, 08:42 AM
Panther G

Great pics Banana, keep in mind the New panther G comes in a camo version and a sand color also. Raidentek is very sketchy with their adds. The sales reps don't always know everything about all the products they sell either. It is best to KNOW what YOU are buying in order to get the correct product. 
 The New Panther G, The Pershing, The M41 Walker Bull dog and the Pz Mk III are about the best OTB runners.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:51 AM
Panther G

From what I can see on the Web site Raidentech does not show the New Panther g. I dont know how any one can make heads or tails of what they are selling. They have 3 versions of the KV-1 with the same description and 3 different prices. This site is just NOT worth the aggravation or chance of getting what you want. I dont care about the free shipping BS. There are countless posts on this forum about problems with that site and it just aint worth it. you do have the lucky few that got what they wanted but your looking at a 10 to 1 ratio of bad Vs. good. Use RCTankWars or RCCommand or WelshDragon models to buy your tanks. these guys know what their selling and take care of their customers. Mato is very good for our Canadian friends but can be expensive with shipping for us in the States. And sometimes things get hung up in customs.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:18 AM
vano12

Yes, their descriptions are pretty generic, that's a big problem for them. Tank destroyers having 320 degree turret rotation?! The KV 1 I ordered came in an IR version - they don't even advertise selling IR 1/16 tanks, all are airsoft, so go figure. That's why I am thinking they might actually have the Panther G, despite showing an old picture but I'd tread with caution - even if sales says they have the Panther G. I am reasonably happy with price/service but they do have issues.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:01 PM
bananapirate

They have always had the Panther G, its not listed under the metal upgrade tanks. though Isee they no longer have the S&Sversion apparently

http://www.raidentech.com/1scelrcgepab.html
Old 09-30-2010, 08:18 PM
vano12

True, I only looked in the upgraded metal section. There is no reason for them not to carry the Panther G with metal upgrades but who knows. The Tiger with metal parts is funny - half the pictures are of a Pz III but at least they have some Tiger photos.So the pictures don't necessarily match reality.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:20 PM
Panther G

My only lets say "agenda is the furtherment of this hobby. I have come to be very passionate about it. It does not promote the hobby well when first time buyers encounter issues. We had enough of that when HL's quality was hit or miss at best. They have atleast been working on better QC of their products and have done a great job on the Jagd, Panther G, Pz Mk IV, KV-1 although there are still from time to time issues with that tank, but i atribute this too teething pains you get with any new model. Retail practices are the first encounter with the hobby 99% of people have to deal with. How many do you think we loose every month from first time purchase problems. We don't need it. 
 Now the manufacturers are playing games with the sellers we do use regularly. I don't know why Bill and Phil even bother. Because they share the same passion for the hobby as I do. If i could make a living at being involved with this hobby in some capacity I sure would give it a try. Those that know me personally around here know I say what I mean and mean what i say. There is no grey area here.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:57 PM
vano12

I didn't have to deal with HL first trys, looks like the quality has greatly improved since then. I even noticed a QC sticker in the battery compartment of my JP, maybe they have upped their game?
Old 10-01-2010, 06:19 AM
Eggman1965
My Feedback: (3)

The Panther G is HL's newest release. My Jagd Panther has the same hull and it feels a lot stiffer than my HL Tiger I which I would avoid as a first tank. Also, buy from a reputable dealerwho answers inquiries promptly and look for sales. The Matomart USA site has some great deals but their shipping charges may be higher than other dealers.