RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Tanks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/)
-   -   Whats the best Heng Long tank? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/10282728-whats-best-heng-long-tank.html)

siam 01-28-2011 06:17 PM

RE: Whats the best Heng Long tank?

There is a question waiting for a kind answering, what is the difference between Panzer3 and Tauch Panzer3.
</p>

Buckeye36 01-28-2011 06:32 PM

Here is a description of a Tauch Panzer:
http://www.historyofwar.org/articles...uchpanzer.html

Buckeye36 01-28-2011 06:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of a Tauchpanzerduring testing:

city hunter 01-29-2011 04:30 AM

My jagpanther was a complete piece of junk. PLastic slippers gave out on the first run, then my gear box stripped. This was a regular plastic tracked tank, I was really disapointed My stug on the other hand has been amazing, and recently jsut started having plastic slipper clutches going out. I;d say a stug is one of the best out of the box. I dont recommend a jagpanther, or any tank with large tracks as the plastic gear boxes just dont cut it.

siam 01-29-2011 05:35 AM

Thank you Buckeye36,
       I will mod my old M41A3 to be able to go submerge, I reserve this tank as a spare tank also the BB gun had gone already,so the first thing to do is seal the electronic compartment.
       By the  way IMO M41A3 is the best HL tank before the comming of Panther G.</p>

Rebellion13 01-30-2011 01:57 PM

I was never a fan of the KV, but Hulu you just changed my mind. That tank looks great

Cheers,
Wade

STO_118 01-30-2011 02:24 PM

It's a difficult question to answer but the easiest one to go for as long as the RX18 is in it you are pretty much good to go with any of them. I really can't stress that enough.

The problem is most vendors in the UK won't know what is inside them. I myself have recently purchased three smoke and sound Panzer IV's and they all had the older board in them. It's not a terrible board and better than the original but still has its issues.

I've been trying to put the hours in with my tanks and so far none of them have had any reliability issue other than the smoke units not working. It should be pointed out that they don't always fail, sometimes the design of them stops the smoke getting out.

So in a nutshell:

M26 Pershing (Snow Leopard) - No issues RX18. Easy to take apart and replace items. Some of the turret fittings are easily broken.
M41 - No issues. A little bit longer to take apart (2 screws for exhausts).

Panzer III L - No issues.
Panzer III H - Power wires melted to inside of chassis, battery damaged. Most likely faulty battery. Track links worn and throws its tracks.

Panzer III's are not as loud sound wise due to position of speaker.

Tigers - Old boards all failed other than RX14/RX18. Rear track guards tend to fall off or break. Metal drive sprockets split. Occasionally tracks are fitted from factory are way too tight.

Jagdpanther - 100% perfect, easy to take apart. Plenty of room inside for fixing or modifications. Rear hatch opens!

Panther G - Good, not spent very much time on this one as I have no room downstairs so it's still in its box in the loft.

Panzer IV - Good little tanks, not very loud due to speaker location. Front LED wiring catches when putting tank back together. Smoke system doesn't work very well (worse than normal) due to position. Difficult to refill. Gearboxes very tight fit. Very tight on space inside so heat might be an issue on hard use.

Matorro King Tiger - Packaging almost guarentees tank breakage, tank exhaust rest against polysterene, if the tank moves and it received an impact then they break off. Electronics very suspect. Control board failures. Smoke units essentially the same as Heng Long so fail at same rate.

I like all the above. my problem is not keeping them rather than breaking them! My personal collection includes the Tiger, Panzer III H and Jagdpanther. I also have a self build StuG on the way.

Reliability wise there is not much difference between all of them, they all suffer quite a bit from user abuse which causes them to fail. I think sometimes people expect too much from them when stock. Ideally Heng Long tanks should only be used on hard surfaces taking them across rough ground, grass, water or deep pile carpet is not a great idea. Although I should also say my Tiger was awesome on the ice and snow, survived being buried, snowed upon and generally getting wet with no problems.

Also a brief note, any of the Heng Long tanks can arrive to you in bits. Or have damage from new. They have to survive surface shipping, depots across the world and finally delivery. If you have seen how the postman in the UK (probably for the rest of the world as well) handles mail then it is surprising any of them work at all.

Differences between Panzer III L and H is the H has a different upper deck, main gun, rear bulkhead and exhaust. The real version these modifications were to make the tank water tight for deep water crossing. They also had snorkels for air movement, inflateable rubber tubes (like your bicycle) to seal for when underwater. Originally planned for the invasion of England they were used to cross rivers in Russia. One operation Irecall they surprised the Russians by crossing. Unfortunately the seals were very prone to damage which meant they couldn't cross back.

Panther G 01-30-2011 03:23 PM

Your question was , what is the best HL tank. not the subject you stated.<div> You should be more specific with your words. We get hundreds of these posts over and over only to see a different question asked in the text.</div><div> The best HL tank OTB is the Pershing, second is the PZ III and thats it. most all other models need work, although the new Panther G appears to be a good runner. </div>

city hunter 01-31-2011 03:23 AM

p3 should be the same kit as a stug 3, so I;d say stug 3 is ther eas well. My stug 3 plastic took quit a bit of beating, but I;ve gotten slop in the idlers and plastic tracks after a lot of use and it throws them way too easy. now.

I'd say avoid the plastic tracks at all cost.

YHR 01-31-2011 05:48 AM

ORIGINAL: city hunter

p3 should be the same kit as a stug 3, so I;d say stug 3 is ther eas well. My stug 3 plastic took quit a bit of beating, but I;ve gotten slop in the idlers and plastic tracks after a lot of use and it throws them way too easy. now.

I'd say avoid the plastic tracks at all cost.

Have you tried removing a link. Over time the pins deflect. You may be able to remove a link and find out it is good as new.