RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Tanks (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/)
-   -   Heng long tanks (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/10814356-heng-long-tanks.html)

OM617 11-15-2011 11:21 PM

Heng long tanks

Hi, I have a few questions reguarding HL Panther G and Tiger 1. This will be my first rc tank and I am pretty set on 1 of these 2 models. Iam wondering what the collective thinks about which is the more reliable better tank. Iam planing on getting the upgraded smoke,sound, metal gear, metal track model whichever I choose. Also I want to get my daughter 1 for Christmass so we can do some battling. Iam thinking about getting her either the snow leopard S&S or the regular panther S&S but standard without metal tracks as I dont know how into it she will be. Any opinions or sugguestions appreciated. thanks

YHR 11-16-2011 05:32 AM

RE: Heng long tanks

The New Panther is a better choice for reliabiity, and accuracy in detail. It is one of Heng Longs best .

mustclime 11-16-2011 06:33 AM

King tiger is nice also.

CHIEFSONN 11-16-2011 06:46 AM

I would have to agree with Dan, The panther needs less out of box in upgrades, and if you go with metal tracks l recommend that you install the track adjuster.it is good for both plastic or metal tracks and the only upgrade needed. The panther will offer you IR battle system with a barrel that recoils. As the Pershing is also a good runner it does not offer the ir battle unit.for this tank I would contact Phil @ rctankwars at speak with Phil about having either him install the battle unit and doing an up grad with the electronic, replacing the rx 14 with the rx 18,so that an ir battle system can be installed. or getting the replacement parts and replacing them yourself. with this you would be able to battle with your daughter. or there is the bb option. I would replace the bb's with with a better quality though. when purchasing your tanks a reputable person and backed by many on rcuniverse is Phil @ rctankwars. I want to welcome you to the hobby and this forum.any further question don't hesitate to ask. Wayne

pattoncommander 11-16-2011 09:29 AM

Depends if you want to get into electronic battling, or just back yard BBs. The "snow leopard" is a name the Chinese gave to the M-26 Pershing.....good runner with the stock tracks. Another very good runner is the German Pz III and if you into modelling, both are excellent for converting to other models with many conversions available for the Pz III. Good luck and welcome to "collectors corner". These tanks have stock in Pringles....you can't have just one.

OM617 11-16-2011 04:13 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone. I have a few more questions. What are the main problems with the tiger 1? If I got a panther g without smoke and sound I would only have 2 speeds foward and fast/backwards and fast. Is this correct? Could I buy a RX-18/Rx14,speaker,smoke generator and have full control? Is this all I would need to ugrade 1 without S&S is my question. The place Iam looking at getting 1 fromonlyhas a Panther g with metal gears/tracks but without smoke and sound.And what about the Jagdpanther? How mechanically sound etc. Thank you for your help

Rebellion13 11-16-2011 05:20 PM

Hello and Welcome,

I will put in my .02. If I were you I would spend the extra cash on an S&S, you are correct the non S&S only has two speeds, the S&S version has ten speeds, and much more controllable and realistic driving. If you were to get the parts to upgrade to an S&S it would cost you more than if you purchased it right from the start, also you would need a different transmitter, because the non S&S version isn't compatible with the S&S version. The Jagdpanther is also a decent model. Here are a couple of links to where most of us purchase our tanks from, very reliable sources, also A lot of these places that sell these have little to no customer service after the purchase but the two below are top notch. Also you want to stay with the rx-18 board, more reliable then the others, they had a tendency to overheat and burn out. The Tiger 1 is ok but one of their first tanks, they have improved the other models a lot. My opinion go with a Panther G, and what ever else tickles your fancy, the metal tracks are not needed IMO, which would save you money, and the S&S versions have metal gearboxes in them, the non versions have plastic and will wear out pretty quick. Hope this helps.

http://rctankwars.com/

http://matomart.com/homepage.php

Cheers,
Wade

OM617 11-16-2011 07:44 PM

Thanks for the info. RC tank wars and Mato seem to be out of stock of the Panther g with metal trackss&s etc. Some people seem to think the metal tracks are a requirement. I kind of like the idea of metal tracks for the realism and all but reliability is the most important as these tanks will bemine and my daughters christmass presents. I need to keep cost down until after christmass then I can start upgrading. The wife will be pretty mad if I buy a tank and then have to start upgrading immediatly to keep it running. I plan on just battling with the bb system at first but might want IR in the future. I am having a hard time finding a Panther g with metal tracks S&S etc. in stock anywhere. I plan on doing offroading and don't know which tracks would be the best and most reliable. I really like the Tiger 1 but just can't afford to put parts in a new tank right around Chirstmass so I guess that one is out. Does the Tiger 1 upgrade S&S have the rx18 in it? How about the Jagdpanther S&S does it contain the rx18. Sorry for sounding like an idiot, I know my trucks and boats/ships but these tanks are a new area for me. I dont know if anyone knows of anymore web sites that might have a Panther g in stock with metal tracks s&s etc.that is if the metal tracks are even needed. Thanks to anyone that can help

YHR 11-16-2011 08:14 PM

The plastic tracks on the Panther are good. Go for the S&S

blitzkrieg65 11-16-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: OM617

Thanks for the info. RC tank wars and Mato seem to be out of stock of the Panther g with metal tracks s&s etc. Some people seem to think the metal tracks are a requirement. I kind of like the idea of metal tracks for the realism and all but reliability is the most important as these tanks will be mine and my daughters christmass presents. I need to keep cost down until after christmass then I can start upgrading. The wife will be pretty mad if I buy a tank and then have to start upgrading immediatly to keep it running. I plan on just battling with the bb system at first but might want IR in the future. I am having a hard time finding a Panther g with metal tracks S&S etc. in stock anywhere. I plan on doing offroading and don't know which tracks would be the best and most reliable. I really like the Tiger 1 but just can't afford to put parts in a new tank right around Chirstmass so I guess that one is out. Does the Tiger 1 upgrade S&S have the rx18 in it? How about the Jagdpanther S&S does it contain the rx18. Sorry for sounding like an idiot, I know my trucks and boats/ships but these tanks are a new area for me. I dont know if anyone knows of anymore web sites that might have a Panther g in stock with metal tracks s&s etc. that is if the metal tracks are even needed. Thanks to anyone that can help

RCTankWars is not out of stock,,, And all my tank are the latest RX-18 board, and all are the Smoke & Sound version, and come stock with metal gearbox's. And I have the metal upgrade kit as well just send me an e-mail for more details.

Thanks,

Phil

OM617 11-17-2011 12:49 AM

Thanks, email has be sent. When Matomart speaks of 'metal engine' are they refering to the transmission gears? Also any shipping problems with mato to the usa? Does anyone know if the upgrade raidentech version has a metal transmission. I know a plastic tansmission won't last long with me.</p>

Panther F 11-17-2011 02:20 AM

I know you're new around here, so take the word of us tankers that you cannot go wrong with buying from Phil at RCTankWars. Shipping is reasonable and he stands behind what he sells and will help you with whatever problems you might encounter. This is a feature the "other guys" cannot touch.

~ Jeff

YHR 11-17-2011 04:35 AM

You won't go wrong with either, but nobody can touch Phil's personalized service.

mustclime 11-17-2011 07:29 AM

As a n00b, i bought a hl tiger 1 with so much metal on it, it weighed 18lbs. Total beastbut with weight, there are problems, metal motorscame apart, metal wheels came apart, I had to reclock the torsion bars because the tank was draggingits belly everywhere. Then I started to read up on what was wrong with the tanks biuld.....here is a nice example of someone with way more skill than me putting one right....

http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forum...=22&amp;t=7333

If you want to get into a club and battle, you want light and simple. Metal tends to be tough on plastic tanks. Heng Long seems to be getting better with each tank they release, so the panthers are very good.

I have already done bisness with phil at rctankwasrs.....killer service and if you want something...He will even set you up with a prebiult battle tank with metal gears, 400 motorand dbu3's with no need to mess with the scarry wires....good luck.</p>

Panther F 11-17-2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: mustclime

As a n00b, i bought a hl tiger 1 with so much metal on it, it weighed 18lbs. Total beast but with weight, there are problems, metal motors came apart, metal wheels came apart, I had to reclock the torsion bars because the tank was dragging its belly everywhere. Then I started to read up on what was wrong with the tanks biuld.....here is a nice example of someone with way more skill than me putting one right....

Thats it, proof tami's are more realistic that those HL tanks....... They stay together. :D

~ Jeff

mustclime 11-17-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Panther F

Quote:

As a n00b, i bought a hl tiger 1 with so much metal on it, it weighed 18lbs. Total beastbut with weight, there are problems, metal motorscame apart, metal wheels came apart, I had to reclock the torsion bars because the tank was draggingits belly everywhere. Then I started to read up on what was wrong with the tanks biuld.....here is a nice example of someone with way more skill than me putting one right....

Thats it, proof tami's are more realistic that those HL tanks....... They stay together. :D

~ Jeff

have you read any history of germen tanks in ww2?....the drive train blew up....just like a real tiger, the wheels fell off, just like a real tiger.........lol read "Tigers in the mud" the pics of the authers tank is without the out side ft wheels because the bolts weretearing out of the flanges. The auther hashis unit reports in the book...has all kinds of issues with the tiger 1's

great book
http://www.amazon.com/Tigers-Mud-Com.../dp/0811729117
</p>

Panther F 11-17-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As a n00b, i bought a hl tiger 1 with so much metal on it, it weighed 18lbs. Total beast but with weight, there are problems, metal motors came apart, metal wheels came apart, I had to reclock the torsion bars because the tank was dragging its belly everywhere. Then I started to read up on what was wrong with the tanks biuld.....here is a nice example of someone with way more skill than me putting one right....

~ Jeff

have you read any history of germen tanks in ww2?....the drive train blew up....just like a real tiger, the wheels fell off, just like a real tiger.........lol read ''Tigers in the mud'' the pics of the authers tank is without the out side ft wheels because the bolts were tearing out of the flanges. The auther has his unit reports in the book...has all kinds of issues with the tiger 1's

great book
http://www.amazon.com/Tigers-Mud-Com.../dp/0811729117
</p>

LOL I can't read. So sorry. :D

~ Jeff

Rebellion13 11-17-2011 03:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

~ Jeff

They have to be, they are driven like jack rabbits (see other post) :D lol

Wade

DirtyBird69 11-17-2011 05:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dude,take some of these comments with a grain of salt.....HL's are not "junk" and for the price, are an excellent deal if your willing to do a bit of work! I use Phil at RC tankwars exclusively for my 1/16th stuff and have NEVER had a problem! And also just to prevent another HL vs Tamiya civil war I will state for the record that Tamiya builds an excellent kit(even better then HL), but if your not on a tirade to do IR battling or spend a grand on a 1/16th tank.....and just want a cool, fairly realistictank that you can enjoy for a reasonable price HL is the absolute way to go(plus there are a zillion hop-ups available for them{steel gearboxes, metal tracks,and motor upgradeI highly recommend}). I ownethree 1/6 andfour 1/16 and my absolute favorite is my lil HL M41...that thing isis a trooperlol!Again talk to Phil at RCtankwars and tell him what your looking for and he'll take it from there....[8D] Only thing I'm mad about is I was just aboutto install my new metal tracks withcustom rubber pads and NOW I got to wait till my new metal wheels&amp; tensioner kit(which just came on the market)come in, andinstall thosefirst...ARRRGH!

Glen B 11-17-2011 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Quote:

ORIGINAL: DirtyBird69

Dude,take some of these comments with a grain of salt.....HL's are not "junk"
Yes they are.

As a public service, I will take one for the team and provide a meand to dispose of the junk.

Please send the junk to me and I will take them out of circulation, those Panther G's, Tiger I's and Jagdpanthers are the worst, but I will accept them as a good will jesturehttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

Anyway, IMHO the Panther G runs very nicely "out of the box"

I like my Tiger I's (and my new King Tiger) but these have been equipped with 3:1 gearboxes, heavy suspenion springs and SLU's

I have a new HL Panther G to do up, sitting waiting for 3:1's, heavy springs and an SLU, once I complete the re-finish of the Tiger I.

I have had a great deal of enjoyment from mine and that's what counts for me.

<br type="_moz" />

DirtyBird69 11-17-2011 06:02 PM

what a gentleman lol.....http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ey/msn/lol.gif

Airbrushler 11-17-2011 06:06 PM

sounds like Glen needs some more tanks...lol
save some for me Glen...hehehe

Glen B 11-17-2011 06:09 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: DirtyBird69

what a gentleman lol.....http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ey/msn/lol.gif

Please, I am not making this offer to seek out personal acolades.

I am merely trying to ease the suffering of fellow tankershttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/72_72.gif
<br type="_moz" />

Glen B 11-17-2011 06:11 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Airbrushler

sounds like Glen needs some more tanks...lol
save some for me Glen...hehehe
Everyone always could use some more tankshttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

Maybe we should start a shelter for them.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif

From one of your other posts, I am sure you could take in a wayward Pz IV
<br type="_moz" />

DirtyBird69 11-17-2011 06:12 PM

wow...those are awesome(dam, nowIgotto start thinking about a Panther G...........thanks http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/48_48.gif)! But be careful some Tamiya guy mightcall youout and inform youthatyour rear mudflaps are off by a 1/2 a degree or your gun barrel is .5mm too short lol....but fortunately the Tamiyas are 100% correct LMAO!