RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Tanks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/)
-   -   WE ARE HERE AND HAVING A GREAT TIME AT AAF Tank Museum Extravaganza (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/11007603-we-here-having-great-time-aaf-tank-museum-extravaganza.html)

thecommander 03-19-2012 05:15 PM

WE ARE HERE AND HAVING A GREAT TIME AT AAF Tank Museum Extravaganza

1 Attachment(s)
WE ARE HERE AND HAVING A GREAT TIME AT THE EXTRAVAGANZA 2012!!!

Those of you who heeded my call to come to the AAF Tank Museums annual Tank Extravaganza in Danvile VA last April, can skip reading this post (Yeah ...right....). Why preach to the chior? For those who missed out, stay tuned to this forum for videos, pictures, details and information on what should be the LARGEST GATHERING of RC tanks in the United States.

Here is a link for you to bookmark from the AAF website: http://www.aaftankmuseum.com/Extravaganza.htm

If you have any questions, please ask them at anytime. HEAT & NEAD are co-sponsoring this event. Dana & I will help you in any way we can.

Bob Held, NEAD CO

PS The first (long) group photo was last Novembers NEAD battleday during the Indoor Car Show. We had 112+ tanks and 40+/- tankers. The second group photo was Saturday at last years Extravaganza. We had about 90+ tanks and 45 tanker over the 3 days. I'm sure it will be even bigger and better for 2012. Come join us and be a part of the action.

thecommander 03-19-2012 08:48 PM

RE: WE ARE HERE AND HAVING A GREAT TIME AT AAF Tank Museum Extravaganza

For those of you who may have not read my huge post for the 2011 event I'll post a link below. Be forewarned. It is very long and may cause extreme tankitis. Some of the features and hotels or prices may have changed so please bear in mind that this is the post for the 2011 event. The 2012 event thread will unfold here over the next few weeks so stay tuned.

Link to the 2011 thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm

thecommander 03-19-2012 09:03 PM

HOTEL INFORMATION

There is a wide variety of hotels and campgrounds in Danville VA. It is only 50 miles north of beautiful Greensboro, NC. I have stayed for as little as $40 a night and the average is $70.

Here is a message from Karen Gasser regarding the hotels and the Tank Museums discounted room rate for the event.

To all RC Tankers that plan to attend the up coming 9th Annual Tank Museum Extravaganza in 2012. You must get your hotel reservations in as soon as possible. The Comfort Inn and Suites has 20 rooms blocked and will save them for us until March 31st. All types of rooms and suites will be available @ $69 a night. You can contact the Comfort Inn by calling 434-793-2000 and make sure you tell them the code “TANK MUSEUM”.
Our other host hotel is the Holiday Inn Express. Their number is 434-793-4000. All these rooms will have 2 double beds @ $89 per night, and will only be held until March 27th. Remember the code: “TANK MUSEUM”.

Looking forward to seeing old faces and new ones this year!

mustclime 03-20-2012 05:36 AM

Not going to make ether the aprilbattle. Have fun

TheBennyB 03-20-2012 05:42 AM

Tony and I will be getting to Danville late thursday night and staying till sunday afternoon.  Looking forward to getting in some trigger time and of course "choir practice!!"

Dana Lowell 03-20-2012 05:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo from last year's EXTRAVAGANZA. Try to make every effort to attend this one. Check with friends about sharing motel costs. My hope is to have 50 tankers this year! This annual event is as much of a "convention" as it is a battle, so come meet the people you chat with on this Forum!

Thanks.

Devildog0341Va 03-20-2012 06:23 AM

Room is reservedfor friday, will have to leave late sat, looking foward to seeing some friends, making new and visiting. Dont know if I will be tanking, trying to get some bugs worked out :) Just never seems to be enough hours in the day.</p>

Dana Lowell 03-20-2012 07:01 AM

Doug bought a Sherman for the battlefield for people to rent. Or you could borrow one of my tanks. And Bob Held and James S. always have spare tanks too.

Buckeye36 03-20-2012 08:03 AM

It cost me dearly since I'll be missing my anniversary...again, but I'm in! :D
See you there!

Pershing.Driver 03-20-2012 08:32 AM

Send the wife to Hawaii for the week end ... she will most likely forgive you.

Green Amphibian 03-20-2012 08:50 AM

I will be there all three days. I'm looking forward to seeing some old friends and meeting some new ones also.

Herman

Buckeye36 03-20-2012 09:33 AM

I'm getting off a little cheaper then Hawaii, it's costing me an overnite concert trip with meet and greet back stage passes for Shinedown. Wife is a music junky...

manchu9inf 03-20-2012 09:34 AM

Oh man, I wish i could be there! Still hoping to be there this fall!

Panther G 03-20-2012 09:34 AM

Hey Jimmy, your wife got a sister. LOL.

Buckeye36 03-20-2012 09:40 AM

Yea, but she's married.....http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ey/msn/lol.gif

Panther G 03-20-2012 09:44 AM

So!!!!!!!!!!!!http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...evil_smile.gif

Devildog0341Va 03-20-2012 10:12 AM

Dana,

Thanks

On Edit: Maybe Bret will let run his elefant http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...bout_smile.gif

TheBennyB 03-20-2012 01:25 PM

Funny you should mention the elefant,I justpacked herup and put into storage till we move this summer. I had a hard time putting heraway for the spring/summer, though she's mostly a shelf queen.
Probably just come down to Danville with the usual suspects...T1, JT, E8, T-34/85, and Panther G. Gotta make sure I still have a reservation since I had to cancel mine for the March event, wanna make sure they didn't cancel the April weekend too.

Dana Lowell 03-20-2012 03:01 PM

Another new tank project that might be finished for the April event is the "Porsche Tiger I" by James S. of Raliegh.
Here is a link to his work in progress: www.heatarmor.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php

Ex_Pat_Tanker 03-20-2012 04:00 PM

I'm out for this one - hope to catch you guys next year if my finances improve :D

thecommander 03-20-2012 04:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Buckeye36

It cost me dearly since I'll be missing my anniversary...again, but I'm in! :D
See you there!
Now that is what I call dedication.....:D How comfortable is that couch Jim???[&:]

thecommander 03-20-2012 04:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Ex_Pat_Tanker

I'm out for this one - hope to catch you guys next year if my finances improve :D
Hi Martin,
Perhaps I can sneak you back into the US from Bovington with my luggage. You will be sorely missed pal.:( The guys are still talking about your camcorder halftrack. If things improve perhaps you can make the November event which was huge last year and was held in conjuction with the indoor carshow.

PS That's Martin (r) talking with Will (Manchu9inf).

thecommander 03-20-2012 05:02 PM

ORIGINAL: manchu9inf

Oh man, I wish i could be there! Still hoping to be there this fall!
Hi Will,
You were missed last battleday. I saw there was another RCU member in Leavenworth KS recently. I wasn't able to get his RCU handle since the site has been acting wierd lately. When will your KS engagement terminate?

thecommander 03-20-2012 05:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Pershing.Driver

Send the wife to Hawaii for the week end ... she will most likely forgive you.
I think a fur coat or diamond ring would be cheaper. Hold-on: Now that I found an apropriate pic...maybe I'll go Hawaii and the wife can go to Danville.:D

thecommander 03-20-2012 05:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: TheBennyB

Funny you should mention the elefant, I just packed her up and put into storage till we move this summer. I had a hard time putting her away for the spring/summer, though she's mostly a shelf queen.
Probably just come down to Danville with the usual suspects...T1, JT, E8, T-34/85, and Panther G. Gotta make sure I still have a reservation since I had to cancel mine for the March event, wanna make sure they didn't cancel the April weekend too.
Jim (buckeye36) says he has room on the couch for you.

Here is Brett at the Extravaganza and his JT in his tank line-up.