RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Tanks (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/)
-   -   Stripped allen bolt (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/11226231-stripped-allen-bolt.html)

tomhugill 09-12-2012 09:21 AM

Stripped allen bolt

<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'Lucida Grande', 'Trebuchet MS', Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.727272033691406px; line-height: 18.196969985961914px; background-color: rgb(225, 235, 242); ">So it seems a gear in my leos tu as stipped I think causing the very jerky running. How ever the fella that built it has used a stupid ammount of locktight on the allen bolts that hold the sprokets on and when I tried to get them off they have stripped so I cant get into the tus. Any ideas on sorting this</span>

Jeff489 09-12-2012 09:26 AM

RE: Stripped allen bolt

I had some issues with the sprocket and allen bolt on a Leo2 once as well.  I ended up replacing the drive sprockets and allen bolt on one side if I recall.  My suggestion is to get the damaged parts off, then you'll know what you've got to do.  Sounds as if you've got nothing to lose by attempting to drill out and remove the stripped bolt. 

We could likely give more specific advice if you could take a few pics of the the offending parts.

Darryl Usher 09-12-2012 09:33 AM

Heat will loosen locktight, I use a soldering iron down the bolt before I stripped it.
If there is no way to get to the head you could drill it for a easy out but go slow as bolt
is hard and will burn up drills.
Darryl

dyeager535 09-12-2012 10:28 AM

As long as they aren't recessed, and you have good access to them, you can always grind a slot in the head for a flatblade screwdriver.

I would certainly go the heat route first, and if you have hollow ground flat blade screwdrivers, highly advise you use those.

heavyaslead 09-12-2012 10:51 AM

If you can get at the head of the bolt with a dremmel, just shave the head off.

My expert removal tool of choice.;)

heavyaslead 09-12-2012 11:00 AM

Hopefully, your transmission is OK and the real issue is a slipped motor pinion gear (set with a set screw on the motor shaft). Could have loosened or partialy backed out.

If the transmission is good turning (neutral spin) then its likely no stripped gears as the transmission uses 80% of the same gears for both drive and turning operations.

tomhugill 09-12-2012 11:04 AM

Sadly the allen bolt is recessed into the sproket. I bought some HSS titan bits to drill with and theyre basically useless. Im a bit stuck. When I turn the sprockets by hand they more fine till I get to one point and it jams slightly and continues.

Pah co chu puk 09-12-2012 11:44 AM

I would try to grind a slot for a screwdriver.  You may grind into the sprocket a little but it should be OK.  Then use heat to soften the locktite.

tomhugill 09-12-2012 11:46 AM

What would you use to grind a slot with? I have a dremmel knock off but nothing cutting wise<div>
</div>

Pah co chu puk 09-12-2012 11:48 AM

A metal cutting disk. Dremmel makes them.

http://www.dremel.com/en-au/Accessor...l.aspx?pid=420<br type="_moz" />

Darryl Usher 09-12-2012 12:09 PM

Use a carbide bit, a 2 mm or 3 mm. Cut a little extra then grind a flat blade screwdriver to fit.
Heat the part well and turn out with the tool you just made.
Darryl

Jeff489 09-12-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

When I turn the sprockets by hand they more fine till I get to one point and it jams slightly and continues.
I had a very similar problem to that.  It turned out to be one of the four screws behind the drive sprocket (that holds the metal plate into the transmission unit) had backed out and was wedging in between the tank body and the sprocket.  Simple fix...once you get the sprocket off...that is.<br type="_moz"/>

Panther F 09-12-2012 01:17 PM

Drill it out. :D

~ Jeff

tomhugill 09-12-2012 01:22 PM

Jeff my HSS bit doesnt even scratch it. I ive tried cutting a groove for a slot head screwdriver and I dont think thats going to work, bolts too small and slot is too big. What sorta drill bit am I going to need to get this sucker out?

Foxy 09-12-2012 01:35 PM

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Screw-Extractor

http://www.tooled-up.com/MicroCatego...=579&MCID=3395

Hope that helps. I still say the dremel cutting disc and flatblade is your best bet, otherwise, try a screw extractor.

Pah co chu puk 09-12-2012 01:46 PM

If you can...   heat it with a soldering iron, nice and hot, then try to back it out.  Your wrench may get enough purchase to back it out while hot.<div>
</div><div>It's free to try.</div>

dyeager535 09-12-2012 02:19 PM

Also not a bad idea to try things like a standard vs metric wrench, and failing that, if you've got them, small Torx bits as well.

Often you can cram something a bit "oversize" in a stripped out recess. Don't forget the heat of course. Apply the heat to the piece that the threads are stuck in though, not the screw/bolt itself. Not only need to break the the loctite, it helps to expand the base material with the heat.

Pah co chu puk 09-12-2012 02:30 PM

If he is working the bolts I think he is there is no way to heat the part the bolt is in because it is covered by thesprocket.<div></div><div>One thought... if youseparatethe twosprockethalfs the lock nut (ME1) on the end of the drive shaft (MJ5) isaccessible. If you undid it you could get the part (MH3) off the drive shaft with the sprocket on it. At least it would be off the tank and less trouble to work on.</div>

Joe Dirr 09-12-2012 03:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I recommend a two-step process:

1) Apply heat to the fastener to loosen the Loctite ®
2) Apply Valve Grinding Compound (VGC) to the tip of your allen wrench or screwdriver tip.

Note: The VGC is a grit-filled paste that will often prevent slippage between your tool tip and the fastener you're attempting to remove.

This is a technique I learned in the Air Force, which we used to remove stubborn aircraft panel fasteners.

Joe

pflynn73 09-12-2012 03:55 PM

Like foxy said. Screw extractor kit is a must have for the tool box. Good luck!

BIGMIG 09-12-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: tomhugill

<span style=''color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'Lucida Grande', 'Trebuchet MS', Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.727272033691406px; line-height: 18.196969985961914px; background-color: rgb(225, 235, 242); ''>So it seems a gear in my leos tu as stipped I think causing the very jerky running. How ever the fella that built it has used a stupid ammount of locktight on the allen bolts that hold the sprokets on and when I tried to get them off they have stripped so I cant get into the tus. Any ideas on sorting this</span>

Well as they say you have now got yourself in a pickle........You got a lot of advice .........;)

First off for any other members who may not want to end up with this problem ( buy yourself a good set of "allen wrenches"...The best i have found are "BONDHUS" ...used them in my shop for years and they are the best i have ever seen and very cheap to buy..$7-00 or $8.00 a set ) ;) If you shop around. ( don't remember where the kid bought them ......)

Sounds like now you are in never ,never, land now.Not even sure what tank you have.......Plastic or metal sprocket...??

If it was me and the sprocket is plastic....I would cut the sprocket in pieces any way you can without doing damage to the tank hull and then pull the gear box and deal with it out of the tank hull.

At this point something is going to get trashed to get it out......so go with the least expensive part and go from there.

If it is a metal sprocket.......Not good....[&o] You may be able to force the shaft out of the gear box (ruin a gear box ) or cut through about the center of the sprocket between the screw head and the hull with a hack-saw (ruin a sprocket & gear box ) [:o]

Just not a good situation..........:eek:

BIGMIG :eek:

Sounds like where you are at now drilling out the screw will not be an easy task if it can even be done at this point..

tomhugill 09-13-2012 02:02 AM

I think Pahs solution is the only one that will work. My allen keys are pretty good quality but by the time they had slipped ones the bolts where pretty knackered.

MIG this is a tamiya leopard two so not cheap. It has metal sprockets with seem fairly easily cut off but I want to aviod this at all costs, even if I have to redrill and tap some new holes to hold them on in future.

tomhugill 09-13-2012 02:37 AM

Hi BIGMIG, I think regards getting the sprokets off the shafts I am truly goosed. Im at the drilling out screw phase which I think will require more serious equiptment than I have atm.</p>

Panther F 09-13-2012 03:24 AM

I think a High-Speed Carbide-Tipped Drill Bit, maybe with a Turbo Point Tip set up in a drill press will do the job. A hand held drill will only ruin the bit and not efficiently cut the material.

A little rigging and it should work.

~ Jeff

tomhugill 09-13-2012 03:31 AM

I'm going so see if the engine builders next door to my apartment can do anything, Id think they have plenty of experience sorting stripped fixings.Clamping it up could be tricky but probably do able!
<br type="_moz" />